It's the offseason , not much to talk about. stumbled upon this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 5, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's when the jets played the pats in 1999 the game vinny blew out his Achilles almost 20 years ago. it also reminded how badly parcells mismanaged that game

in the 2nd quarter with the jets down 10-7 and the ball, the RB fumbles and vinny tries to jump on it, blowing out his achilles in the process and ending his season. for some reason parcells had no back-up plan. he had tom tupa our punter listed as the #2 QB. the emergency QB was rick mirar. Due to the rules, if the jets wanted to play mirar, it would mean tupa can't play and we would have no punter. so Tupa was forced to QB until the 4th quarter when mirar could enter. this made literally no sense in hindsight.

So tupa comes in to QB and plays surprising well. going 6 for 10 with 2 TDs for 165 yards 0 INT. with 30 seconds left in the 3rd quarter he throws a TD to make it a 22-27 game. only down 5. parcells goes for the 2 point conversion to make it 3 and it fails keeping us down by 5 and then allowing mirar to take over in the 4th after that. and for some reason parcells benched tupa who was playing well in favor of mirar

on 4th down from the 17ish yard line, he tries a fake FG which was stopped giving NE the ball and costing us 3 points. he already cost us 1 on the 2 point conversion attempt earlier. the game should have been 26-27 at this point down by 1 with 10 mins left, but instead the jets are down 5.

on the next drive, mo lewis gets a pick 6 making the game 28-27 in favor of the jets. again parcells now goes for 2 and we fail having only a 1 point lead.

with under 4 mins left and the jets with the ball close to midfield, mirar throws an INT. he would finish the game 4-11 28 yards 0TDs and 2 INTs

The jets never see the ball again and the pats kick the game winning FG to win 30-28 with 2 seconds left

Parcells cost us 5 points (going for 2 twice and the fake FG) in a game we lost by 2 points. he also had to play a punter at QB who played really well, but he benched him for a guy who came in and lost us the game. I wonder if fans here would be so kind to bowles for the same mistakes?

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Parcels cost the Jets Peyton and there are fans who still praise him as a draft genius and coach of the Century. Now if Bowles had followed up Kotite, he would be getting alot more love...o_O

Peebag and Royal Tee like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There are other things too. Like......results. Parcells brought this team a division title and within 15 minutes of the superbowl. Todd Bowles has had back to back 5-11 seasons and no playoff games to his name. Its no comparison, Parcells was a way better coach

4. TonyFtLaud

No one was debating who was the better coach. Just pointing out how Parcels is put on a pedestal by some fans when he was actually a detriment to the future of the franchise.

wewantsapp likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

Almost winning the superbowl. Winning a division title something this organization has only accomplished twice since the merger and he was a detriment to the franchise, yeah that makes sense. If he was a detriment, what does that say about Bowles & his 5-11 records??

tbruner12, alleycat9 and sec314 like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

Key word "FUTURE".
    Bowles is HC, fire him tomorrow and no harm going forward.
    Passing on Manning, and drafting near as bad as Idzick left the team in shit shape going forward. Parcels was also GM. And a pretty bad one at that.
    Rex brought us to the AFC championship game twice. Does that make him twice as good as Parcels?

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

My two cents.

Great COACH who turned around a moribund franchise and made it relevant for a time.

AWFUL on the draft front. His drafts were disasters.

Btw, I don’t think you can find any Jet fan who praised him as a draft genius.

8. Rollo Tomassi

His worst failure.

But he did bring back the sweet uniforms and white helmet.

joe likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

Good coach with a great DC.
    Relevant for a short time, 1 season followed by 8-8. Left the team with a shortage of talent, passed on one of the top 2-3 QBs of all time.
    Research the forum. Plenty here still washing his balls claiming he was great at getting the groceries.

wewantsapp likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

Fire Bowles tomorrow and there's no harm going forward because he sucks and were already at rock bottom. How is that a compliment towards him and against Parcells who left the football team with HOF players and an established winning culture?

tbruner12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

For a franchise that has been starving for a FQB for decades , how the guy who let the best QB the league had seen for decades go so he could trade down for Farrior( great Steeler) , Rick Terry, Dedric Ward, Terry Day, Leon Johnson, Lamont Burns, Ray Austin, Tim Scharf, Chuck Clements, and Steve Rosga can still be praised is mind boggling. Obviously we will never know but I'd think with Manning, the 50 year Super Bowl drought would have ended.
    But he got the team close.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"passing on Manning" is a bit of a stretch. He didnt GUARANTEE him that he would select him 1st overall, so Manning stayed in school for another season. 1998 the JETS had no shot to draft him after finishing 9-7
    Not selecting Orlando Pace was a huge fuckup though

But I'd say the 2000 draft went pretty well.... and made Herm look alot better than he was ;)

Number 10, Cman68, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

He walked following an 8-8 season , 33 out of 39 wasted draft picks, and cost the Jets one of the best QBs the game has seen
    This is about Parcels , not Bowles and not a comparison of the two.
    Fuck Bowles. I don't think many would care if / when he's fired. I certainly won't loose any sleep over it.
    Parcels had his great moments, unfortunately not with the Jets.

#13 TonyFtLaud, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That video was depressing on so many levels :confused:

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's too bad that shoulder injuries ruined Chad's career.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

When you have Manning say he wants to play for you and Archie tell you his son wants to play for you but if you arent going to draft him he's going back to school, and you won't say yes I'm going to draft him. Your passing on him.

#16 TonyFtLaud, Jun 6, 2018
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Fukk Fat Bill. After defecting from the Cheats, guess what? He gave me nothing. And then when Belifraud resigned on a cocktail napkin and defected to the Cheats, Fat Bill was all, oh, no, what-an-embarrassment-I-didn't-know-anything-about-it when he was probably somehow involved in collusion after almost being in collusion himself for coming here in the first place. He's a quitter. Look what he did in Miami (good though, because F the original pukes of the AFCE): he quit. I really wish the love affair with this idiot being a HC of the Jets would fade to black. Just let one person say, "But, but, he gave the Jets respectability!" and I'll eat a bullet on live television. PFV for the win. Tony Romo for President for messing up that hold vs. the Eagles just to see Fat Bill crap his pants, by the way.

Then when Lawrence Taylor was inducted into the HOF, Fat Bill was all no, no, not attending the ceremony because fukk drugs and I didn't care for Taylor's comments about the glorification of drugs and I don't want to be anywhere near that. Meanwhile, Fat Bill knew what Taylor was doing all along and practically enabled him. So he's not only a fat ass who gave me nothing, he's a big, fat hypocrite. Haha, who remembers when Taylor fell asleep in his car in front of Red Lobster on Route 17 in NJ? Fukk Parcells' "coaching tree", who gives a shit. OK, I let it out. I feel better now.

I anticipate several members saying, "But, but, he gave the Jets respectability!" to 1) pester me and 2) to pony up to watch me eat a bullet on live television. .

bartscott and ukjetsfan like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I didn't watch the video. Snuff films are not my thing. I was there, of course. After a shocking 5 minutes, I just stared at my hands and said WHY, WHY, WHY. I'm considering getting WHY, WHY, WHY tattooed on my left butt cheek - even though I'm not into tattoos. Before I get tossed in a furnace, one can only hope it gives some hump who makes $10 an hour to incinerate people and stick their bones in a blender pause. Please someone say, "Why, Lisa, why, why?" before they fire up the barbie. That would fit my personality like a glove.

#18 jetophile, Jun 6, 2018
  19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

He went into that season with ZERO depth at QB. Obviously bit him in the ass almost immediately. Wayne Chrebet appeared on a call-in TV show on Comcast in August that year, hosted by Bruce Beck. I called-in and got through, and on the air asked Chrebet if he was concerned about the depth at the QB position. Wayne mused that he didn't like me "jinxing his quarterback" which of course, I did.

Weird, I thought Mirer got signed AFTER Vinnie's injury. I thought we went into that "Run for a Championship" year with Scott Zolak behind Vinny. At least that was what I remember calling in to complain to Wayne about. Having seen this video that obviously was not the case. I was there that day, how could I have forgotten Mirer's pathetic performance?

Hey, for all the agony it was fun seeing Fred Baxter, Richie Anderson, and Bryan Cox scoring TD's. The place was ELECTRIC, which MetLife may never ever be.

#19 LogeSection2RowJ, Jun 6, 2018
    Walt White likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

I’m new here but I’ve been a Jet fan for a very long time and I’ve never met another Jet fan that washes his balls claiming he was great at getting the groceries. Not one, I think it’s pretty generally accepted he was a awful at the draft game.

But to diminish his impact on the franchise as a coach and as the de facto face of the franchise an how he lifted it up and made us relevant? After how putrid we had been in the decade before he got here?

That’s a tad unfair.

Unload all you want in his drafting prowess — he sucked— and on completely blowing what could have been the Manning Era— but he was easily one of our best head coaches (which admittedly is a pretty low bar).

FJF likes this.