The thing about the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, May 27, 2018.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Wtf r u talking about? Did u ever consider some teams got worse. Why I even replied to this nonsense is stupid in itself

Walt White, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great Summation!!!

That pretty much speaks volumes for the Bowles/Mac tenure for me as well..

We are all paying for a rookie GM and Head Coach...thanks Woody ..next time go for some experience please

The Johnsons should never run a Team...they needed Charlie C and a bunch of others to suggest Toilet and Mac??? Who will help them screw in a lightbulb???

I would Grade Bowles an F and C+ maybe B- for Macagnan

If Iam the owner ..especially with Darnold on board now, I make some changes by Jan 2019...I don't think Bowles will last the year imo

Ralebird likes this.
  4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

My hope is Bates is the one and makes up for Bowles abs we finally have some stability

CBG likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Er, while I basically agree with your distrust of Bowles, Mac and he were hired at the same time, so we couldn't have gotten rid of Bowles when we hired Mac.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

NC as I said it was late,,,I was kinda tired ,,and the holiday weekend if you catch my drift did not help ,,,,,,,,, I meant why on earth would a GM not be allowed to hire his own coach and why would they both seemingly have the same or similar amount of power and answer to an owner who is clueless,,,,,,that said Im shocked the rest of the post came out as well as it did under the circumstances,,,again none of these says which games TB actually lost on his own for us and Im not even sure any of that or this is keeping with the title of this thread,,,,,,again my bad

7. NCJetsfan

How exactly are the Jets supposed to make massive improvements while the other teams don't? Sorry, but that's never happening.

I think Mac has a good scouting dept. now and is doing a much better job with the draft, but we'll have a clearer picture of that following this season. We should have some idea of how Darnold is developing and the other young players he has drafted the last couple of seasons. We'll also see if Hack makes Oakland's roster.

Is the roster massively improved? No, not yet, but if Darnold develops into the QB that most think he can be, then the team will be massively improved just by having a topnotch FQB. Of course, TB and his staff will have a lot to do with the development or lack thereof, so that will remain a moot point for a while, and is the thing that makes me most nervous.

If the roster isn't massively improved, then that isn't TB's fault, but rather Mac's. I was very hopeful when Mac was hired and was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has made some very good decisions, but also some real head scratchers, and some that I thought were criminally bad. There's little doubt that the talent level of the team has improved as has the attitude with regards to the team culture, but it's not a finished job. Perhaps you've forgotten how truly awful the team's talent level was when Mac was hired and how many holes there were and lack of depth due to Tanny's missed picks and trading up constantly and Idzik's almost complete screw up of his drafts. I'm mostly encouraged by what he's done this offseason, but still frustrated that he hasn't done more to fix the OL or find an edge rusher. Later I talk about listening to Turn on the Jets Ep. 2. Another point that is made in that podcast is that Mac has played it safe. He took Williams when he already had Mo and Richardson. As it turns out, it was a good or lucky move in some ways. He could have gone with Beasley, however, who many thought was just as good and had a higher ceiling than Williams. I think a pretty fair argument could be made that the team and defense would be a lot better if we had a stud edge rusher like Beasley.

I've been saying for a couple of years that TB needs to go and that we need a young, creative, offensive-minded HC to develop the young QB we draft and to put more emphasis on offense. TB has proven to be better than I thought, but he still has shown little growth in game management, in clock management, and most importantly in not being so passive/conservative. To be fair, however, that could be due to the lack of depth and alternatives on the roster, and knowing just how little talent we have had. Even if he corrects some of his flaws with more talent and better depth, I still am concerned about the overall conservative and dated philosophy he espouses, and the continued focus on D rather than offense. It's also a concern that even with all the high draft picks used on the D over the previous 4-5 drafts, Bowles and Rodgers have failed to create a dominant D.

I listened to Episode 2 of Turn on the Jets "Solving the Scheme Puzzle" and it showed just how flawed their logic is and how inconsistent Jets fans and the media can be. Early on they criticized TB for being inflexible and insisting on fitting players into his scheme rather than adjusting his scheme to fit the talents of his players, and for playing players out of position. By the end of the episode they were praising him for being creative and flexible. They can't have it both ways. We haven't seen much creativity with TB since he became our HC, but now with Adams, Maye and a vastly improved secondary, better LBs, and better depth on the DL perhaps we will, but that still probably won't change things offensively very much.

Ultimately, Harpua has it right. We have zero control over what Bowles and Mac do. Obsessing over all things Jets won't change anything, and I've been as guilty as anyone in that regard. It won't speed up the team's development and won't change their approach. We just have to hope that Chris Johnson is smarter than Woody, will make the right decisions, that Mac will get the talent we need and fix the holes, and that either Bowles will learn and adapt, or will be fired and replaced with an offensive-minded HC.

8. NCJetsfan

No problem. I agree with you regarding Mac hiring his own HC rather than given a choice of signing off on the decision that Woody had already made to hire Bowles, and their being peers rather than Mac being Bowles' superior.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And still all you do is complain but can't come up with the games the HC or the owner lost. Your reply is you're old and are therefore knowledgable. Well I watched SBIII and others have too. Most of what you post has no basis in fact. Start with the experienced HCs who have failed in other stops but are guaranteed to be the better option than finding a young HC. Which experienced coach was available when Bowles was hired who was passed up. Which winners did Johnson pass it? While on Johnson, make up your mind. In one sentence you by Johnson? You complain that Woody had no experience running a team. Which owner can you point to that came into the NFL with experience? Then you complain that Johnson looked for help by hiring 2 HOF GMs to mine their experience and knowledge in the search for a GM and HC. Got to love it.

You keep ignoring the question, did you think the Jets were better than a 10 win team? Or that a year ago they were better than a 5 win team? Because if the coach sucks and has cost the Jets wins like you repeat over and over again, that would mean the team was better than 10 or 5 win teams.

#29 LF911SC, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Walt White and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Bowles n coaching staff did a good job having the team prepared last year. I hate saying they played hard every game since that should be a given but I was impressed how consistent this team was and the lack of mental breakdowns. That was not the case in the past. He’s just a terrible clock manager and decision maker and the better a team gets and the more important games become the more it matters. He will lose us a big game with his indecision. I said it many times he does not think 2 or more plays ahead. I get the feeling after a play is over he goes through scenarios as the clock moves. You can tell good coaches have decided what to do in certain situations plays before. Bowles has not changed in 4 years so why we would he this year

CBG likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

In response to the bolded comment.
    Bowles was actually hired after Mac.
    Revis chose to play off as he had lost 2 things, a step and his confidence.
    Bowles is faulted for all the TOs he called , yet the guy responsible for Bowles having to call the TOs, Morton , who could not call a play in time, was praised and a large portion of the fan base wanted him promoted to HC.
    Bowles has his limitations as a HC but he has done well with limited talent.

#31 TonyFtLaud, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Oh, we are back on the "Bowles had the team ready to play" nonsense

That's his job. He failed at his job for 2 dozen previous games....

The snowflake mentality- "Just try and we will give you a participation trophy"

SMDH

Ralebird likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the thing about the NFL is it's so unpredictable all this offseason ranking stuff is just nonsense. we were supposed to be lucky to win 1 game last year and we won 5. Prior to that when we first signed fitz we were considered a 2-3 win team, we won 10. The giants were expected to win their division last year, the went 2-14. It's all nonsense.

FJF likes this.
  14. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think our roster is any different then 80 percent of the league..if we had a good coach and a top 10 QB same people would be talking Super Bowl.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't you read the board?
    The Giants could have been in the Super Bowl but they have better owners, better coaching and a better GM. That's why they intentionally lost 14 games. So they could draft ahead of the Jets and take Barkley. It was all planned out...... :p

GasedAndConfused, donkey and FJF like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't remember what the over/under was on wins last year, but I'm sure it was higher than 0.5. Where did the one win number come from, Physco or one of the Patsies?

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

A lot of publications and "experts" had last years Jets as the worst team in the league. Colin Cowherd had us at 0 -16 and ESPN ranked us 32nd to start the season. Looking at our QB situation and overall talent then, somehow, I really can't blame the pundits. Though I never thought we'd go winless.

So, yeah, you could argue the Jets over achieved last year, especially considering how many of their losses were close. Ironic, however, how many on this board where bitching when the Jets would have the audacity to actually try and win cause we weren't "Sucking For Sam."

Yet here we are :)

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we had a top 10 qb most would think we had a good coach

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Let's not get craaaaaaaazy

Ralebird and All Gas No Shake like this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. go pumice your tits

. [​IMG]