"Johnny Football" a Canadian, eh?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ralebird, May 21, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

To see how far this schmuck has fallen he signed in Canada a day and a half ago and it hasn't even been mentioned here yet. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats coach, June Jones,says he's got a long way to go to beat out one Jeremiah Masoli.

Masoli was a two-year starter at Oregon but was kicked off the team after several off-field incidents. He finished his college career at Ole Miss, signed with the 49ers as an undrafted free agent but was cut during preseason and eventually found his way to the CFL, where he's been with the Tiger-Cats since February 2013.

"[Manziel's] got a lot to catch up on, but he'll spend the time to get that done," Jones continued. "I know he will because he's already learned that lesson."

If Manziel hits all incentives, including taking half the snaps this season he stands to pull in $300,000 but that's probably in loonies which would be about $233k USD, less than half of what he was holding out for just a few months ago to put him at Masoli's level. He's on a two year contract which could increase by about $62k US in year two.

An interesting note is that a CFL contract is for a minimum of two years and cannot be broken to allow the player to head to the NFL before the two years is up.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ahahahahah

Football for outcasts

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Good for him. Far be it for me to knock a guy for taking a lesser job than he desires. At least he is trying and earning his own way and trying to rebound after screwing himself up.

westiedog1, joe, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Quite frankly I'm surprised he didn't wind up dead. I would say Canada is a improvement over six feet under. Hopefully he'll take his self-inflicted fall from grace seriously for the duration. Aside from him slapping his ex-girlfriend around, who am I judge someone for making an attempt to turn their life around. I'd say he's gotten a strong dose of reality, and that can't be a bad thing.

FJF likes this.
  5. jetophile

Yeah, we kinda said the same thing. You just know he was a spoiled brat growing up. How was he even getting cash to trash houses and hotels all while performing disappearing acts? Affluenza vs. Povertyenza in a Celebrity Death Match, I guess. He had Todd Marinovich written all over him from the get-go IMO, but I'm not gonna rag on him for realizing that being humble is OK after getting slapped in the face that he's not really Johnny Money.

FJF likes this.
  6. Ralebird

I think there is a significant difference in the Marinovich and Manziel sagas. While Manziels's parents may have been hands off in raising their son because he was so special to them and they loved the adulation he received, Marv Marinovich stole his kid's childhood in his attempt to make his kid into a superstar from the get go. He scheduled every minute of every day to create a football monster, instead he simply created a monster. The writing was all over the wall that as soon as Todd was out from under the thumb of his old man he was going to rebel and try to make up for the childhood he had robbed from him. Unfortunately the path the kid took was drugs and alcohol - not surprising and not surprising that he took that path at ninety miles an hour because he never had the opportunity to test his limits from an early age as every other kid gets to do starting when they're about two years old.

While the Manziels may end up in that crowded corner of hell occupied by the proud and foolish, Marv Marinovich belongs in that special little place for those whose ego and greed prompted him to abuse his son for twenty years, not allowing him to grow up. The irony is that Todd Marinovich probably had the talent to succeed on his own if he had only been given the chance at a normal path to stardom.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. He derailed badly and is prolly a drug addict/alcholic. I saw a couple of interviews pre-draft with him when he threw for a guy at the guys pro day at A&M I believe. It looks like he may have turned the corner. He acknowledged it was his own fault and showed the willingness and determination to go to Canada even if that is what it took. I wouldn't count him out. He looked like a different guy to me.

FJF likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If he looks respectable in Canada then he'll easily be back in the NFL next season. Nobody will hand him the reigns right away but he'll be a backup and get a chance to show his work ethic and earn a franchises trust.

Seems like he's grown up. Hope he does well. He was an exciting player to watch

9. Ralebird

According to the information I saw he cannot walk away from his two year CFL contract and be eligible in the NFL until the third year. So the questions will remain for a while - can he perform at an NFL level and can he stay out of trouble long enough to get back? He'll still be only 27 so he has the chance to make a better life for himself.

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Ah didn't know that. I would think though if an NFL team is interested and he performs really well, they'd pay a Canadien team to break that contract early and get him back into the fold. Someone will definitely be intrigued.

11. jetophile

Just curious, did he look healthy? He was starting to look like death warmed over from whatever the hell he was doing the last time I saw a photo of him. He had to have been drug/piss tested as a term of his contract, perhaps even randomly at any time.

EDIT & P.S.: Remember that Coachella thing? He looked terrible, worse than a crack addict.

#11 jetophile, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. jetophile

Don't necessarily disagree. What I meant about Todd Maranovich re: Manziel was more about the level from which oh, how the mighty have fallen. You should see the film 'Trophy Kids' (my cousin directed it). The famous Herman Edwards rant is in the beginning (lol), and Todd Marinovich is interviewed at the end. Yeah, his Dad was a huge POS. I'm pretty sure the full version of the film is available on youtube. By the way, correction: I said in another thread that Peter Billingsley (Ralphie from 'A Christmas Story') co-produced 'Trophy Kids' along with Peter Berg. I had my lines crossed. Peter Berg Executive Produced 'Trophy Kids', Peter Billinglsey Executive Produced one of my cousin's other films, 'Prescription Thugs'. It's hard to keep it straight sometimes. In a similar vein as in sports, Billingsley was one of the lucky ones and avoided the dangers, pitfalls, self-implosion, and abuse of being a child actor. He is doing very well in the industry (producing, directing, a couple of acting jobs here and there), and has made a great life for himself. Good for him.

13. Ralebird

Can't keep your peters straight, eh, Jet?

14. Walt White

Yes, definitely. Previously I couldn't stand the dude because it was obvious to me he was arrogant, and fronting to use street lingo.

He was a different guy. Matured, humble, and determined. I was impressed.

15. Walt White

16. jetophile

MacCagnan was there for the coffee. That is all.

EDIT & P.S.: Fukk this guy's name while I'm at it. It's too complicated. Mornhinweg was much easier. Why everyone calls him Mac is because 1) you're all lazy and always want a short cut 2) no way you'd ever win the Scripps Spelling Bee and 3) no-one wants to get called out for spelling it wrong.

MacMeshuga for the win.

#16 jetophile, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Noam likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wonder why Tebow didn't catch that train to Ottawa..

18. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Don’t know why anyone would mock him for admitting he fucked up and tucked his tail between his legs and decided he wants to take the long road back to the NFL.

He could be back in the NFL by the time he’s 27 and could carve out a nice little career.

Hey if Tebow did this as a TE or RB he might be s pro bowler right now.

Good for Johnny. He’s sucking it up and not being a pariah.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So true. Marinovich’s Dad was a control freak who led his son down a path to destruction.

Manziel was just a spoiled kid, if he’s truly humbled himself he’ll be back in 2 years.

If he’s good enough. Maybe he puts on some poundage while he’s up there.

20. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

FJF, he's built for the game up here. If he stays in the league(which I doubt), he could be as good as Flutie was. Same skill set,
    good scrambler, and a decent arm. I know they're excited about him down the road in the "Hammer"