You see this team making the play offs?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 16, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I mean sure it's possible. We'd have to go 9-7 and have a lot of things fall into place but it's not unprecedented. We've certainly upgraded talent across the board. 7-9 is probably more likely with 2019 being the playoff year

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not this year. This team still has a lot of holes to fill and all the young guys on the roster will need a season or two to develop good chemistry. They'll have ample oppty late in the season (Nov/Dec) to fight for a wildcard berth as 6 of their last 7 are against AFC teams but I just don't see it this year.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is how I see it, though I'd even say 5-5, strong development from Darnold, and a bucket of luck.

Br4d likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think they finish somewhere between 7 and 10 wins depending on late game performance and luck. I would love to see them sneak into the playoffs. A 3/4 year Super Bowl window opens next year (assuming Darnold is good and still on his rookie deal) so getting playoff exposure, even a first round loss, is a huge win this year.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This team will be very similar to last year. They'll surprise some teams. They'll be in games but it'll come down to if the d can close or the qb can make plays at the end of the game to win. To me it sounds like a 6-8 win team. The d will improve but still no pass rush to close a game. The o will be better but McCown looked awful in some 4th quarters either trying to win a game or hold onto a lead. If Darnold plays maybe he can win us a few games but I don't forsee us making it this year. This year is all about development of Darnold and the team. Next year we'll fortify the line and get some pass rushers and that will open our window hopefully.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

5-5 after 10 looks like 7 or 8 wins at the end to me. 2 games against the Pats, games against the Packers and the Texans at home, on the road against the Titans and Bills - that's a rough stretch. The last 4 games should all be in the cold and even if Darnold has is going well at that point it is going to be the month of the wall for him and in the cold to boot.

7-3 gives the Jets a very good shot to get in with 3-3 down the stretch and an outside shot with 2-4.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If games are still won in the trenches, we're set to lose a lot of games.

The rest of the team seems to be shaping up nicely, though.

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The only teams I see in the top of the AFC are the Patriots, Steelers, Jags and Chiefs. The rest of the conference you can literally order in any way. We all got a shot.

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets defensive line stays healthy I think they are better than we think at this point.

The offensive line is a weak point and could turn into a rolling disaster if a few people get hurt. If any of the starters get hurt the Jets will likely have a major weakness for defenses to exploit. If a couple of guys go it could get ugly fast.

The Jets have spent virtually no draft capital on the OL over the last 4 drafts. You can't do that and survive for long. You can cobble together a line for a season or two but usually you wind up having to pick up late-career vets to keep things stable and then you are even more vulnerable to a collapse due to injury or step down.

10. Jay Bizniss

Guarantee those 6 games that look brutal now, turn out to only be 3 brutal games. Every season we circle certain games as no way but injuries and crazy things happen over the course of the season.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  11. Jay Bizniss

I'd say the defensive line needs to be way more effective. If we could get consistent pressure on the QB, it will make our secondary which is above average, look like superstars. No reason we can't have a Top 10 defense this year. We have the pieces.

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Chargers also have a lot of talent. If I remember correctly they started off 0-4 last year which killed their season and yet finished 9-7. Despite missing the playoffs I thought they were one of the more talented teams in AFC. Can the Raiders rebound and look like the team from 2 years ago. The Texans get Watson back. Despite a poor season last year I could see the Broncos rebounding with Keenum at QB. Last year was a weak year for the AFC as the Bills made it in with 9 wins. I am not sure 9 wins will be enough this year. I still think the Jets are a year away(2019 season) from seriously competing for a playoff spot.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I got this team pegged at 8 to 10 wins this year. Weeks 4 to 7 are going to be huge early in the year. 3 strong AFC teams in the Broncos, Jags and Colts you have to win maybe 2 of those games to keep you in the race. Those are the teams that will be vying for a division or wildcard spot. Being at .500 at the bye, the Jets won't make the playoffs IMO

14. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Hell no, best case scenario 6-10

15. Jay Bizniss

Agree about the Chargers. They are in that 9-7, 8-8 tier. Derwin James should help take that defense to the next level. Oakland has gotten older not younger, and I see them struggling in the West. Denver will not have a repeat of last year, and are an 8-8 team. Chiefs should take the division.

Texans should be right there in that 8-8 discussion along with the Titans. Luck comes back so we will see how that plays out in Indy. If they can keep him upright, another 8-8 talent team. Jacksonville should have no issue taking the South.

North is the Steelers, with the Bengals, Ravens and Browns all looking like 7-9 / 8-8 teams.

East is the Patriots divivision and will be until Brady leaves. I see the Dolphins being bad this year with the Bills and Jets being your 8-8 talent teams.

Conclusion - 10-12 teams fighting for 2 wild card spots.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

I don't think either the offensive nor defensive line can afford very much in the way of injuries anywhere, and particularly to key guys like Leo or Beachum. I think we APPEAR to have the pieces we need for the D-line to hold up, but it's easy to expect our rookies and some of the younger guys like Pennel, Pelon, Simon, Cooper and Anderson to step up and take advantage of the opportunity, we don't know that they will. One or two injuries, one or two guys just not panning out, and all of a sudden, this is a bottom tier D-line.

On the O-line, Beachum and Carpenter are the only guys we have that would start on any other team in the league. And there are plenty questions about how Carpenter is going to do this year. I know somebody is going to jump up to defend Winters. I was excited about Winters when we drafted him, but he hasn't impressed me at all since. He's a D-minus player who looks acceptable because we've been getting F-level play from the C and RT lately. Not being the weakest link doesn't mean he's playing at an acceptable level. Again, one or two injuries will destroy this unit, but even without injuries it will be well below league average unless some guys make some major leaps forward.

LAJet, NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  17. Jay Bizniss

I'll be that guy to defend Winters. He was hurt all last season so lets see how he plays this year at 100%. He has the talent to be a stud, just have to see how he pans out.

Agree on all your points about injuries, but I can argue that this is the fact for most teams. One or two key players go out on any line, and its all downhill the rest of the season.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

You're right, but he was terrible before last season, too. I think he was at his best in 2015, and it's all been downhill since. Even then, he wasn't a huge upgrade from Aboushi.

19. Jay Bizniss

Oh man I forgot about Aboushi. Jesus. Lets see how he plays this year. It is absolutely possible that we will need a whole line revamp next offseason. I am hoping Carpenter and Winters stick.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner