The Jets’ Long Road to Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, May 16, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Re-read the article. They graded Mayfield 9s on leadership but also gave him lower grades in other categories.

"The grading scale goes to 9. Truty’s report marks Mayfield a perfect 9—exceedingly uncommon—as a teammate, leader and worker, but has lower grades elsewhere on him. Shields has Darnold in the 8s across the board—in football character, family background, personal character, off-field, work ethic, coachability, accountability, leader by example, vocal leader, physical toughness and mental toughness."

Kris 15, LF911SC and themorey like this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So we should scream as fans for the team lose so we can draft the next generational RB, Reggie Bush? That was one, fans screamed to tank and then went crazy when we "blew it" winning too many games and missing out on that once in a lifetime, team changing back.

Im busting a bit but that's how Bush's draft went down. Shows every reason why football isn't a game where you tank.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great, great article! Thanks for posting it.

I can already see that I was wrong about Darnold. I'm really glad that we got him. I think we dodged a bullet in not getting Kirk Cousins.

I love how Mac and his staff planned and executed the last couple of years. While I think it could have been a mistake to just write off taking a QB in 2017, and was a mistake to only care about Goff in 2016 and not Wentz as well, it appears that everything has worked out OK. I like how there was no hesitation to move to Plan B when the Jets were informed that Cousins was visiting the Vikings first. The Jets' "luck" in getting Darnold is a product of Mac's, Heimerdinger's, and the Scouting Dept.'s planning, preparation, hard work, and laying the proper ground work over 2-3 years. If he hadn't done all that, it easily might not have mattered that Darnold fell.

I feel a lot more confident in Mac again, and think the way he devised the plan and executed it was brilliant. He had contingency plans so didn't have to make any knee jerk reactions if something went wrong.

Reading the article, I loved Mac's sense of humor with the Director of Security and the way he included the two young boys in the draft room. I like the way he still is learning and seeks to learn from the Seahawks, Eagles and Rams how to groom and handle Darnold. He's not resting on his laurels or taking anything for granted. I'm truly thankful that this detailed article came out so that we could see and understand the plan and that there are many things about Mac to appreciate.

I like Heimerdinger and the team Mac has assembled and Carr and the Dotson guy from the Packers seem like great adds. We could be witnessing the beginning of the golden era of Jets football that we have all longed for. It's hard not to get really excited.

#43 NCJetsfan, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Harpua, Jay Bizniss and forevercursed like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Still, the article shows that the Jets valued/rated Mayfield about as highly as Darnold, and that those two were their top two choices at QB. I also loved learning that Allen was NOT one of the 3 QBs they were considering at #3. That gives me a lot more confidence in Mac and the Jets' scouting dept.

NY Jets68, Harpua and GQMartin like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd say no player should have a nickname before he's earned one for himself and it's come naturally for better or worse. Think "Sack Exchange,: "Broadway Joe" or, unfortunately, "Buttfumble." Let this guy do something that makes it clear what he should be called.

And let's hope it doesn't go this way...

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh wow..not sure why but ok

7. NYJetsO12

So who graded out higher across every category not just the ones listed is the question..I am not sure it really matters now

8. NYJetsO12

I dare anyone to repeat "Foley Futukasi likes Mike Heimerdinger " 5 times fast..no cheating!

playtowinthegame likes this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Not sure why the scout wouldn't give Mayfield perfect scores across the board? I assume it's because Mayfield isn't perfect and the scout is a professional. It's not a dunk contest.

#49 twown, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Ralebird and FJF like this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

"So this is what’s going on, Sam Darnold just slipped to us.”

I laughed when I read the bolded part, such a Mac thing to say.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Good read and good article. Good insight to what both scouts and gms do. I think it is an overlooked part of the job. It scares me. Everything you read about Darnold is positive. It's like to good to be true that we got him. I feel like I'm missing something.

NY Jets68 and Jay Bizniss like this.
  12. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Deep down in the pits of your stomach, you just know............

FJF likes this.
  13. LF911SC

As long as you don't count the actual throwing the football, playing the game scores.

FJF likes this.
  14. LF911SC

This has happened for a long time in the NBA. That's why they have a draft lottery, they were trying to discourage tanking. But the NBA is different. College players, especially at the top of the draft are pretty good bets to continue their success at the pro level and one player is a 5th of your entire starting team. Not even close to the same thing with the NFL, from talent translating up a level to the difference one player can make. Even with that tanking doesn't guarantee a turnaround in the NBA.

15. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Do you think...maybe, your scouts and FO didn't think as highly of a 23 year old QB grabbing his crotch, taunting opponents after a win (sportsmanship), police pursuit and resisting arrest in freakin' Norman Oklahoma? How do you get in trouble there...sure that program is a CFB powerhouse, but it's in a college town in a small media market. Imagine what they can hide or cover up. Maybe they (the FO) unearthed something they didn't care for. You can bet that there are 300 pound defensive linemen licking their chops to welcome Mayfield to the NFL if he brings Some of that punk attitude to the NFL.

A point made in the article was a desire to change the culture in the locker room. The quarterback leads the way in that room.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was a good article. I liked this- "Based on the year-long focus on the position [QB]—Maccagnan had a scout live at just about every USC, UCLA, Oklahoma and Wyoming game—the feeling is they’re ahead of others in assessing the class."

makes me encouraged that they did their due diligence

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A bit of professionalism that we haven’t seen in a while

Brook! likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

We have been conditioned by our history. We don't know what it's like to have competent, qualified people running the team (or at least the personnel side). We don't think we can have nice things. We have been fooled so many times, gotten our hopes up only to see them cruelly dashed. I think this time we can genuinely have hope and confidence that to quote Bob Dylan, "the times they are a-changin.'"

Even those of us who were around for SB III were too young and there was too little info available for us to truly understand and appreciate what we had.

19. NCJetsfan

I know that you're a Darnold fan, but come on. The article was pretty clear that the Jets were as high or almost as high on Mayfield as they were Darnold. If Darnold had gone to the Jets, Mayfield would be the Jets' QB now, not Rosen and not Allen.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Very well said and I agree with you. I do think we have compenent people now. Guess until I see it I won't believe it. If the Eagles can do it why not us.

NCJetsfan likes this.