The Jets’ Long Road to Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, May 16, 2018.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m calling hornet.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think what the Colts and Browns have done disproves this. And maybe its splitting hairs, but I'm not saying they should've outright lost games, but there was some reason behind playing Petty/Hack, with losing simply a likely byproduct. And your second point supports why they needed to take the "competitive tank" route - only the #1 pick guarantees you your guy, and if Macc really loved Darnold as it seems that should've been his approach. We're all lucky it worked out the way it did.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The Colts lost their starting, HOF QB who added wins to a mediocre team. The Browns? They were a pretty gritty team that never gave up. Every team with out talent isn't tanking. No one has ever accused them of that. They'd acused of sucking though. Lol

Fans have to make their minds up. Either you're tanking or not. Playing a QB like either of those two because they can't win is tanking. Especially when there is a QB on the roster who can win. It's funny, we all want to improve the draft position by losing but don't want to admit that's exactly what we'd be doing with Hack/Petty. Get this well we're not trying to lose. Yes they would be. And the HC and GM would lose players in their locker and around the league. Fans, like me, who shell out for STs would be pissed. They'd lose a lot. Along with their jobs. For the chance to get a player who may or may not help win games

FJF likes this.
  4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Jets were one of the youngest teams in the NFL last year (I think #6 if this site I'm looking at is right). Sometimes it's better for the development of younger players to suck competitively than to suck outright.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You have to have a sense of humor when it comes to illness or you'll lose your mind. We had a white mulberry tree (since knocked over in a storm years ago) that used to make great jam, but it was always crapping mulberries down on us like that scene in 'High Anxiety' in 'The Birds' parody part. What a freaking mess in the driveway, it was liking trying to walk on illegally dumped fast food fried chicken grease. When the old man was on horrific chemo years back and I was wondering if I was gonna be a widow he goes, "Cancer. A slip and fall is coming and you're gonna find me dead face down with mulberries plastered all over my back with my cheek glued to our shitty asphalt. Good luck with a spatula trying to pry me off." We're a sick gig. It gets you through. When I came out of a coma in 2003 the comedy was relentless. "I needed this like I need a hole in the head!" Yeah, I actually had a hole in my head, haha.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ha, good one, screw that creep. Anyway, lezbe friends! Homo you don't!

Back to Sam Darnold. How come he doesn't have a nickname yet? I can't wait for how laughably awful that's going to be. I call dibs on The Darnold.

7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great article. Long read but worth it. What Sam and his camp said is EXACTLY how I felt ever since the Jets traded up to #3. I want Darnold, but he is probably going #1 to the Browns, and if for some crazy "Browns being Browns" reason he doesn't, he will surely go #2 to the Giants. Eli is 37 and they can go from Franchise QB to Franchise QB. The Jets will have to choose from Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen. Only logical way to think.

But some how, some way, Sam Darnold became the Quarterback of the New York Jets! :cool:

NYJalltheway, themorey and LF911SC like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

very good read. Our history shows us as always having bad luck, but admittedly the last few years we've been getting pretty lucky.

LF911SC and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol ...Sam is .. the FQB.we win with..but did you guys check the grades on Baker Mayfield...all 9s!!!

Jets were also sky high on BM

NYJalltheway and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

So great to see the behind the scenes work. We never hear about anything going on in this FO because they are so tight lipped. I would imagine most decent GMs and scouting programs go through all of this to get quality talent, but at the very least it seems like we are so much more functional of an organization than years past. Tanny had 1 good draft in 2006 and Idzik cut half of 12 draft picks after the first year. I am not saying Mac has dont an amazing job in the draft yet, but clearly there is a plan in place.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well Jets fans are no different than any other fans. If your team looks less than 8-8 quality on paper before the season starts (unless your are a young team), you want them to tank. No sense in squeezing out 1-2 more wins out of vets that won't be on the team next year. This is now happening in the NBA as well.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, this and a couple of other articles/reports of the behind the scenes work that Macc & Co. did has gotten me to change my mind about him. I'm not saying he's great, or that I agree with everything he's done, but it's clear he has a plan and is working towards that. In the long run, that will pay off. My only concern is will I still be alive to see it. If he creates an organization that can dominate and contend for a decade or more, that's the result I want.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Are you telling me 2x 1st rounders into a fucking DSLOB is better than a wasted 2nd round pick on Hack, did I read you right?

15. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

GREAT read thanks for sharing. I've been a Jets fan for almost 40 years and I can honestly say this is the first time I think we may have "the guy".

Even if he busts out (which I highly doubt) the FO actually had a plan and executed it to perfection. This wasn't a knee jerk decision or some fly by the seat of their pants thing. They actually had a well thought out and executed plan and pulled it off. When was the last time you could say well thought out and well executed plan with the Jets?

NY Jets68, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Someone is gonna have to translate for me here...

If you’re referring to Dewayne Robertson, yes he was a terrible pick. Which is why I said Hack is ONE OF the worst. Not the worst.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Seriously, Hack is but a stinking 2nd rounder. Not even halfway close to anything of "worst" brand. Jets did much worse with 1st round picks.

stinkyB, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Outside of Phil and Chris Simms I havent heard anybody say anything bad about the kid as player, and everyone seems to love him as a person.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They were willing to trade to 1 or 2 for Mariota or 1 for Goff.

The teams didn’t want to trade.

CotcheryFan, stinkyB and NYJalltheway like this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

That's how I first saw it also. Read it again.

"The grading scale goes to 9. Truty’s report marks Mayfield a perfect 9—exceedingly uncommon—as a teammate, leader and worker, but has lower grades elsewhere on him."