OL Question....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BamaJet, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

And I’m not going to root for them to lose a single game!

No Bust for Bosa or Lose for Little for me.

That was tiring last year.

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

And that automatically means he wouldn't take one at the top of the draft if they had one on the board there? Word was he tried to go up for Laremy Tunsil.

Just because a fan can identify a need doesn't mean he knows better than anyone else how the board stacks. Except in hindsight.

FJF likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Who the fuck said anything about rooting for the team to loose?

4. Rollo Tomassi

I did, not you guys.

It’s great that next years draft is heavy in tackles and edge rushers but I’m not “tanking” for them, not like I was rooting for us to Suck For Sam.

I want to win every game next year. It sucks being a lifelong fan actively rooting for your team to lose but I’m not ashamed to admit it, I did last year. It felt dirty but I had to do it.

That somehow we didn’t earn the first pick but still ended up with the number 1 QB is still stunning to me.

5. TonyFtLaud

With the draft being heavy in Tackles and edge rushers, we won't have to tank to land one. I was against tanking last year and will never root for my team to lose .

101GangGreen101 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

So see? It's not such a bad thing to root for your team to lose. ;) We got lucky this year. Odds are that we won't again next year. If we want to land one of those top LT or edge-rushing prospects, then we need to be drafting at least in the top 10 if not top 5.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Douche tornado up in this mug.

FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

a good front office has to be able to find talent picking later top 5 picks are rare in good teams and they still become good.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's a difference between "talent" and elite talent. At LT and edge rusher I'd rather have elite talent than "talent." About every player that starts at a major college is "talented." About every, if not every player drafted by an NFL team has "talent" or he wouldn't have been drafted, yet many of those players wind up being only average or below average in the NFL, and many others never make it in the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Still talking about tanking, when we got the best QB in the draft without the need to tank.

Unbelievable, a true Jet fan NEVER roots for his team to lose no matter the circumstance ... don't let this guy gas your head up.

FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

We gave up 3 2nd rounders and needed two professional organizations to totally screw up to gift us the luckiest pick we’ve had since Namath.

Sometimes worthless wins are just...worthless.

I’d sure like those 2nd rounders back. I guess that makes me a bad Jet fan.

NCJetsfan and 6-10 once again like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

If Darnold shows up it won't matter, you won't be thinking about those 3 2nd rounders while Darnold is busy balling on the Patriots chins. Just like the Eagles and Rams before us ... sometimes you get lucky as the draft is a crapshoot, but it's what you do with that opportunity that matters the most.

Wins are wins, players take something from it, coaches as well. Fans might not, and thats the disconnect.

edit - BTW you are not a bad fan, nor is NC Jets fan, we all have different opinions, but cmon tanking ain't the right way!

#32 101GangGreen101, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  13. Rollo Tomassi

I totally agree that Darnold is worth the 2nds and I would have given up MORE. I would have thrown in our 1st next too.

It won’t matter because we’re going to be competitive for the next 12 years.

But if you ask me in restrospect if I’d rather those 3 2nd rounders or 2 meaningless wins against Buffalo and Jax or whomever we beat, as a FAN I want those picks.

I’ll never suggest the players or coaches or FO tank, but as a FAN I was not looking to win games that did not matter and would only cost us in the long run.

Darnold was a MASSIVE stroke of luck and I still can’t believe it.

14. 101GangGreen101

To this day I cannot believe it happened the way it did ... Def in hindsight, you wish you didn't have to give up the picks, but man I hate losing and I especially don't like losing to the Dolphins!

BTW just to re-iterate, you are not a bad fan and nor is NCJetsFan. Everyone has their own opinions at the end of the day, but something about tanking causes more issues in the locker room and if you are trying to establish a culture, it won't work.

15. Rollo Tomassi

I get that and again it’s not about the team actively tanking, it’s about me not rooting for them to win. And I’m pretty sure my rooting doesn’t effect on field performance :D I’ve rarely done it but I wanted Darnold so badly I truly wanted to go 0-16 to insure we got him.

Still can’t believe it.

16. TonyFtLaud

Next thing you know, they will want the HC fired for winning too much :D

17. abyzmul

This is an honest post. My response is that they are going to figure out what talent they have at OL and hopefully don't throw Darnold into the mix until they figure out what the weaknesses are.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. abyzmul

I hated the trade. But for you to be holding onto that... maybe there's something else going on?

19. We’re on the same page regarding hoping for losses(dont like the term “rooting”) once the team is out of contention.

That said i think we can get away w top 15 & still fill one of the team’s major needs.There are plenty teams that will be in the market for FQBs much like every year & someone among Lock,Herbert & the other QB prospects will move up the boards due to low supply. Additionally the draft is loaded w 4-3 DL talent,acouple linebackers as well as DBs. That will push down a positional need or 2.

I still believe that OL & Edge will both get major upgrades in Free agency. There are starting quality players entering their prime set to be UFA’s at both spots & i think by draft day we’ll be in BPA mode w an eye toward weapons for Sam.

Darnold would pair great w someone who can come back to the football when plays break down & most importantly YAC. This AJ Brown out of Ole Miss looks really special. Great hands,turns into a RB after the catch,comes back to the football & can get over the top.If he can refine his route running,expand his tree & catch a few balls in stride he could be really electric w mr Darnold.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Stunning to you? Mac did his best move yet by moving up to 3 to start things off

If we didn't suc we would NEVER BE AT 6...which put us in a position to realistically do a deal with Indy

You can't have your cake and eat it too.son..sacrifices (losing) got us a great player..that's life

Imagine teams that are 8-8 or 7-9 year after year ...no playoffs AND a poor draft