Chad Hansen and Ardarious Stewart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 8, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Donahue, McGuire, Clark were just added last year, so imo they aren't in the same boat at all. Donahue got to practice some before he hit IR, but I don't think Clark ever even got to suit up. McGuire contributed last year, and Donahue was looking very good in TC. Donahue may have cost himself a job with his drinking and offseason off-field issues. Jones was added last year, too, but he had some opportunities.

Pags2112 and egelband like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is not Madden. You don't plug a new center who has no experience in the offense into the game and then say "Hey Rookie, your center has experience!"

If we'd had Brick and Mangold holding down the fort, that would be one thing. Don't listen to Phil Simms and Curtis Martin. Their mindset is the furthest thing from actual football, although I respect them both a bunch. They watch from afar and answer reporter questions on a whim.

I think there would be many situations where Darnold could start immediately, this just is not one of them. At least give him 6 games.

egelband and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I would think Long or Swansen HAVE to be tremendous upgrades over Johnson but I honestly have not seen a lot of either one of them play. Its ironic that the Lions replaced Swansen ( who's mom made decent tv dinners back in the day ) with Wesley Johnson ---time will tell but Im all in favor of Darnold sitting and watching until we see what we have in an offensive line or until Mccown gets hurt or looks horrible.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Stop reading my post then. Let this be the last one. How bout that.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are you content to only have people who agree with you read your posts?

That would kind of make sense, actually.

K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well that would work a s would blocking you but you stopping hating everything would work the best don't you think :rolleyes:

egelband likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Internet forum rules number 4.

8. boozer32

I'm not suggesting that at all. I try to comment on the people post instead of going personal. I don't know any of you guys/gals other than on this board. There aren't a lot of Jets fans in this world outside of the tri-state area. So you try to get your info from the internet.

#68 boozer32, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    egelband likes this.
  9. boozer32

Sorry wasn't clear enough. Stop reading my post and or don't reply at all. That would eliminate 100% of you being upset because I am so negative. That is the only way I know of to help you out..

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No doubt this isn't Madden, but I thought I saw one of the worst performances out of the center position in Wesley Johnson last year. A gap blitzes killed the interior pass protection, just remember the Browns game with Garrett. I think the 2 centers the Jets acquired, while they aren't All Pro caliber, they are sufficient enough and should help patch those issues on the interior. It's a work in progress no doubt, but we shouldn't see 'Von Miller destroying Mark Sanchez type hits' If Long or Swanson can hold their own, Carpenter will be back to above average form and Winters, an average guard will be able to hold his own as well.

The tackles (Shell and Beachum), I think are decent at pass protection, but at the same time they really struggle in the run game. We were spoiled for so long with Mangold and Brick.

Curtis is my hero, but no doubt I won't listen to those 2 ... just going by what I saw last year, too many pressures up the middle. Gotta get that fixed before the rook can start that I agree with. I can live with 6 games, but if the Jets are losing games early, they will have no choice but to turn to the rook.

Pags2112 and egelband like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets grabbed Swanson because he's solid in a zone run scheme...They figure they may catch lightning in a bottle. He's athletic but lacks strength and struggled a bit in pass protection. At this point he maybe a backup option but good to have someone who's good in your new zone blocking scheme. Also he's been hurt quite a bit too...I do think he will make the team as Long's backup though.

egelband likes this.
  12. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think between the free agent acquisitions this year and the projected ones next year will bump a lot of these fringe guys though. There is only so much roster space. We should be hoping a lot of the young guys stick though....for example I would rather a 6th round pick develop for us at the nickel position than having to overpay for a nickel corner in free agency i.e. Lamarcus Joyner type of player. I would rather spend big on dominant Olineman or Pass Rusher.

egelband likes this.
  13. Over the next season the roster should be moving up a tier or 2 in terms of talent.As such there will be draft picks considered fringe projects who lose the numbers game.

One of these corners has gotta step up.Burris,Roberts,Robinson,Clarke & jones.Almost everyone of them is what Bowles supposively wants from the position which is percieved to be his expertise & background. Judging by his comments on draft day esp about Clarke & Burris these were all his hand picked guys.If not one of them can step up thats an indictment on Mac,Bowles & Kacy Rogers.Too early to throw in the towel on any of them but the last thing we need is Bowles whining for DBs heading into yet another offseason that should again be about offense & finding an edge rusher

nycarl, Pags2112, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  14. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If there is anybody in the locker room you need to leave in place, it is Kearse. Dude is a veteran and has been in a winning locker room (Seahawks). We need that veteran leadership in the receiver room.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

In a vacuum yes, but with a hard cap, if you are not a star and have no guarantee money on your deal you are not automatic to be on the roster. We’ll see, and I think he is favorite get a spot but wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up cut.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the young players are developing and playing well, we won't sign FAs at those positions, so they won't get bumped or pushed. If they're not developing, then Mac will look to bring in FAs to replace them, but that's how it always is. There's nothing any different now. It wouldn't matter if the players were 23 or 28, if they're not producing at a high level or getting better, Mac will look to replace them.

I agree that I'd rather our lower round draft picks develop and contribute, so we don't have to bring in FAs, but unless those low-round picks turn out to be very high quality starters or stars, Mac will look to upgrade where he can. Of course the ideal is not to have to overpay in FA, but this isn't an ideal world, and with the shortage of quality players at a number of different positions, there will always be players looking to cash in in FA and teams looking to upgrade by signing some of those over-priced FAs to replace players on their roster.

One can find good OL in FA, but one almost never finds quality pass rushers in FA.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  17. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I think if Quincy's neck holds up for the entire season that he will definitely receive a long-term deal.

Anderson I'd say is up in the air. That could be an interesting contract negotiation.

Kearse and Pryor I'd say are for sure goners unless Pryor regains his 2016 Cleveland form, then maybe he gets a 1-3 year deal here.

GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sounds about right to me

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If Enunwa is healthy and produces this year I sign him long term.

I don’t ever give Anderson big or long term money. Unlike OBJ, he’s much more of a risk off the field and not nearly the talent on the field. You suck it up for OBJ. Not Robbie.

20. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Hansen or Stewart would have to make a tremendous leap this offseason in order for us to part ways with Kearse. But you are correct, it can happen. I just worry about having a receiver room led by Pryor and Anderson.