Chad Hansen and Ardarious Stewart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 8, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Had really high hopes for both of these guys coming out. I thought both were really hard nosed football players who can catch the ball and move the chains.

I have to admit their rookies years were a bit of a let down and it seemed like they had trouble getting up the depth chart as well as getting open. Both have the make up to be really solid, Jermaine Kearse quality receivers.

Anyone have any optimism for these guys or a reason they might have had slower rookie years?

boozer32 and Royal Tee like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I had high hopes for both as well. Not for the obvious reasons, but Hansen reminded me a lot of Decker. More style of play than his career ceiling. I didn't really expect them to get a ton of time last year, but I think we also didn't help them out any by signing useless Jeremy Kerley. It's going to be real hard to crack the rotation this year, but I hope they do.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There is no reason to be down on them after 1 year: besides the historical fact that WRs typically take 3 years they were buried on the depth chart by decent receivers that I wouldn’t expect rookie 3rd and 4th round players to beat out. After kerley was suspended Hanson made some plays, Stewart didn’t exactly impress but I still like his toughness and potential.
    Right now I like the depth chart with kearse,enunwa,Anderson Hanson,Stewart and add whoever as the 6th. Itssolid with potential for elite in enunwa,explosiveness in Robbie solid vet in kearse and potential up and coming 2nd year players.

Leicester Jet, abc, Jets69 and 4 others like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Don't forget Pryor... that's why I'm a little worried about Hansen and Stewart. You'd like to think that 3rd and 4th round picks won't be cut after a year, but we'll be carrying 7 receivers with only one of them playing on special teams. I see a lot of inactives in Hansen's future, unfortunately, because I think he can be a good all-around receiver.

FJF likes this.
  5. FJF

Completely forgot about Pryor. Could kearse be out on a caps saving move ? He has no guarantee money left.
    Either way I like the WRs right now

6. Thought Stewart got off to a decent start early on but then faded due to injuries or otherwise.Hanson started slow but had some production later in the year.

I dont think the “3 year rule” applies any longer to the position bc the game is so pass oriented & receptions are at a premium.Guys are forced in early & its a case of sink or swim.However there is a learning curve which both were enduring as rookies

Think this is a crossroad year for the WR corps.I am not sold on any of the top 4 as long term fixtures but there is good competition which includes the aforementioned rookies as well as young holdovers like Smith & Peake.

No more excuses & no more settling for competence.Darnold cant do it alone & theres a WR at the top of the 2019 draft board that would pair mighty nicely in AJ Brown. Hopefully guys step up & we arent forced to go that route so that we can focus on bigger longer standing needs.That said explosion remains a need at the offensive skills.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I don't think Kearse is going to be the odd-man out, he was a solid WR for us last year. A couple things to consider are that Pryor had an awful 2017 campaign so we don't know how much he'll contribute, Anderson is probably going to be suspended a game or two in the beginning of the year, and Enunwa is coming off a neck injury so who knows with him.

KurtTheJetsFan and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't think they were given much of a chance by our last OC tbh and then they had zero chance after Petty took over, I liked the look of Hanson due to him looking like he has safe hands, Stewart could be a bit of a hybrid, didn't he have a couple of running plays thrown into the mix ?

Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

We have a lot of question marks surrounding our wide receiver depth chart. The only proven guy who isn't coming off a bad year, health issues, or legal troubles is Kearse. Kearse isn t getting released this year. BOOK IT. As for Pryor, it would be a huge plus for the Jets if he gets back to catching the ball like he did his last year in Cleveland before playing with Kirk Chokesins in DC.

NYJetsO12 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I want to see the Jets get these guys involved next year. There is no reason why these guys can't be a part of the rotation. Enunwa, Anderson (If he is suspended, it could open the door for them), Kearse, Pryor, Hansen, Stewart.

There aren't any guarantees that Pryor makes the 53 man roster. If Stewart or Hansen show out in the preseason, the Jets will certainly opt for them over Pryor.

11. FJF

I wouldn’t say the odds are good that he gets cut but if anyone shows enough this summer to replace him I wouldn’t be shocked by the move. 5mil cap savings and a younger draft pick replacing him would be a helpful move for the roster. I wouldn’t write any of th receivers names in ink on the depth chart

PJ4Ever and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Exactly right..Bowles doesnt play the kids enough. Not much of a sample size to rate either of them.

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I think he's pretty much guaranteed to make the final 53, unless he totally sucks. It would be great if the kids show enough where you question the need for Pryor but I doubt they can show enough in the preseason to make you feel secure enough to cut Pryor.

To others, I don't get why so many look at Kearse as a possible cut. He was a over 800 yard wr on a team where Petty played 3.5 games

K'OB and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. PennyandtheJets

I concur on Kearse. He was really solid for us last year. No reason to cut someone like him.

NCJetsfan, K'OB, LF911SC and 3 others like this.
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's waayy too early to write these guys off. Hansen actually made a few nice plays during the regular season.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Granted it's extremely rare for receivers to come out the gate blazing (especially ones drafted 3rd round) I had higher hopes for Stewart. We'll see if it clicks for him this year

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

if Stewart doesn't step up, then I can see inactives for him more-so ... but I don't see many for Hansen. He's a top 5 receiver on this roster right now IMO.

Robbie
    Q
    Kearse
    Pryor
    Hansen.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Pryor, possibility he doesn't stick with the team (which I kinda of hope for the sake of the young guys), but IMO Hansen has the best hands on the team. His role needs to be expanded.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Hard to say what he is at this point. He only caught 9 passes. I had high hopes

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

My safe guess would be lack of playing time and Petty all factor into the low production. I am excited for the preseason to watch them and our Tight Ends battle it out. Hoping Leggett or Herndon step up.

20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#20 BomberJet, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018