Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was...

Mayfield was a terrible pick by the Browns. Smoke screens, Team use these tactics for a reason. Bada Bing. BADA BOOM.

Darnold is now a Jet.

Ton of backlash towards the Browns now for picking Mayfield. So, of course his agent is going to leak some stupid shit to try and justify the Browns making that pick.

Gettleman suggesting that he had ONE good offer does not mean it was the Patriots.

Hell, he didn't even say when the offer was available. I would imagine that one good offer came when Darnold was left standing. The Giants knew they were taking Barkley no matter what though, I think the Jets knew this as well when they traded up to #3.

Follow the bread crumbs man, it's not hard to see the real scenarios now.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Only time will tell but I can't help but feel that the Browns really blew a chance to improve there team in several areas. Not just choosing Baker over Darnold but WTF where they thinking in taking Ward over Chubb. With the picks they had they could have dominated the draft.

1.1 Darnold or Baker QB
    1.4 Chubb DE
    2.1 Will Hernandez G
    2.3 Josh Jackson CB
    3.3 Justin Reid S
    etc....

Obviously I could be wrong but over all the Browns draft should have come out better

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There was an article today that said the Pats loved Mayfield and were trying to trade up to number 2 to take Mayfield if he slipped by the the Browns and that Jets were all in on Mayfield if he dropped to 3.

I find it funny that some of the Mayfield haters are saying the rumors of Mayfield going number one to the Browns, to the Jets or even to the Pats at number 2 are all made up by his great agent when in reality Mayfield has the lowest profile agent of all of the big 4 QBs choosing a small agent rather than one of the big guns with all all the connections Like Allen with Condon and so on.

Mayfield is in a great situation in Cleveland. They have a very good young team. He has weapons in Landry and Gordon. They have a young defense. He has no excuses if he fails there.

#83 Noam, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

I hope you are right that Mayfield turns out to be a bad pick.

But I originally responded to the OP that the Browns picking Mayfield #1 wasn’t a huge shock. There were other teams very interested in Mayfield, and had reportedly had him higher on their draft boards than Darnold, including the Jets, Pats and Broncos.

We’ll never know for sure. No-one will come out and say that, but the “bread crumbs” point that way. The Jets all but said that Mayfield was their target at 3. It’s easy to say that Jack Mills is lying about the Pats deal, but why would he fabricate that? His client went #1. You can’t get better than that. All lying about it would do is piss off the best coach in the NFL. It doesn’t make sense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the random testing all year is for PEDs and for people in the more rigorous recreational drug testing protocol

if you are out of the protocol, youre only tested for recreational drugs once from 4/20 until early training camp ... once you pass that test, youre golden

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

He knows the best coach in football doesn't play the media game.

He isn't going to out him, he doesn't care, why would he? He's above all that.

His agent wants his client to look good, so a fluff piece is just another way to try and make Mayfield look good. Right now, he has a TON of pressure on him because a TON of people are shitting on the Browns and them picking Mayfield #1.

Nobody would be doing so if they had taken the consensus #1 QB on most people's boards. In, Darnold.

I HIGHLY doubt the Jets had Mayfield as their #1 QB. The Jets never stated this, only speculative media sources did that and I'm willing to bet that it was a big smoke screen in an attempt to bait the Browns into taking Mayfield #1.

It's a smart move, especially if you already know the Giants are hell bent on taking Barkley at #2.

7. IIMeanDeanII

Consider the source man. I'm not hearing any of these other teams in question spewing these rumors. It's all coming from some link to Mayfield.

It's not that inconceivable man.

Also, incase you were confused, Mayfield is not a Jet. Of course I'm going to hate on a non Jet, sorry your man crush for Mayfield extends past that fact, but this is a Jets board.

I didn't like him before the draft either but if we had drafted him, I would have been a fan and hoped for the best with a strong side of skepticism. That's thankfully not the way it played out though.

Continue on though.

8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

doug flutie became the first overall pick times really change

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if he plays well and wins the money will be there no matter what, but if he fizzles out, then it won't. No reason to not try and make as much as possible now, becuase who knows what his career will be like. Also the giants said they didn't get any serious offers for the 2nd pick, which negates what baker's agent was saying. It sounds like a twisting of words.
    there was only 1 credible report and it said that 17 out of 24 GMs had darnold as their top QB. it didn't specify which one's and who didn't get polled. still that's over 70% of the GMs polled had darnold at 1 and they polled 75% of them in the NFL. even if the 8 missing and the 7 who didn't have darnold all picked baker on top their boards, it would still be less then half the NFL, and realistically speaking i'm sure at least a couple had rosen or allen up there.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

Gettleman said he didn't get any real offers for the 2nd pick. that people wanted him to trade it for peanuts essentially (paraphrased) plus no proof it was baker those teams wanted.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

I agree with this, but i will say i did like their pick of nick chubb in the 2nd round

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

There were exactly zero names attached to that “credible” report which means we have NO idea what Mac was thinking.

You can make all the assumptions you want and notwithstanding your earlier and now clearly fraudulent attempts to be objective about Mayfield it’s pretty clear by now you just flat out hate the guy, always have. Which is fine.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

No proof that it wasn’t.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

it came from charley casserlly who anonymously polled GM that's why there was no names. All the "everyone wanted baker" stuff came from the same person, his agent. not a single team actually said whether it be on the record or anonymous that baker was a top their boards. Some of baker's agents comments aren't even from teams, but instead heresay from what baker told him that teams told him
    exactly, if his agent can't prove it, then his comments have no meaning :)

15. Rollo Tomassi

Lol you have no idea what came from his agent and what was told to his agent or by whom and if Charley Casserly didn’t get 100% of the GMs to say on the record what you think they said then you’re just making assumptions based upon assumptions based on the fact that you hate Mayfield.

That’s called “hoping”.

Well done.

16. GasedAndConfused

I'm saying i'll believev a guy who went and talked to 75% of NFL GMs who has been reporting in the NFl for quite some time, over someone's agent who's sole job is to make a player money because it directly benefits him. If you believe it the other way around, I have some snake oil to sell you. Cures all your ills!

17. Rollo Tomassi

I get it.

You hate Mayfield and no one wanted him.

You are so right.

18. GasedAndConfused

I never said that. I don't get the "hate mayfield" i never met the guy, he's not on the pats, so why would i hate him? I think he'll be a bust and glad the jets didn't get him, but i don't hate the guy. Obviously some teams wanted him, but his agent is still hyping him up to get him more money and endorsements. The only reports of all the stuff you listed came form his agent. Not a single report from any credible reporter has backed up those claims.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Hate in the context of being a football player, a QB- not the person.

And again you are making assumptions based upon your hate for the player and there are no “credible” reports one way or the other.

You’re just making stuff up. I get it.

20. GasedAndConfused

His agent is making stuff up and you are believing it. Never trust a word an agent says. If you can find me a credible report from an actual NFL journalist, then i'll believe it, but i'm not going to take an agents word at face value with no evidence. it's their job to lie and scheme to pump up their client. They are a salesman, nothing more. the player is their product. I can't believe any adult would blindly believe a sales person. It has nothing to do with baker, I'd say the same for any agent of any player

HomeoftheJets likes this.