OL Question....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BamaJet, Apr 30, 2018.

1. BamaJet

BamaJet New Member

...and believe me, this is a genuine ask, not a question designed to bolster an opinion. Inasmuch as the Jets didn't address the OL in the draft, what is the current quality of the starters and the depth issue? I'm kind of an old school, in the trenches type of guy, so I guess I always think of those positions first. Especially with bringing in a new bell-cow type QB to hopefully lead the team for a decade plus, I expected an impact player on the offensive line to be another priority of this draft. I hope I can be persuaded that all is well on the LOS, because if not I'm going to be hoping that Darnold is used sparingly until protection arrives. Thanks in advance for responses.

abyzmul and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Mac is on the record that he believes that Oline, especially interior Oline, can be drafted late and coached up. So in what was a very weak class it was no surprise that we did not go Oline in this draft.

We did sign interior Linemen this offseason, but I don't expect a big investment in the line through the draft unless value falls to us next year. Mac mostly fills holes in FA and drafts for talent.

We have issues for sure. Beachum is a stop gap, CArpenter has played poorly in a zone scheme before, Center should be upgraded, Winters needs to prove that his injury last year affect his play, and Shell is a decent, not great, RT... seeing as our starters are full of question marks that should tell you what you need to know about our depth, its depth to a below average line.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I feel like I have heard this for 3 years in a row.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Definitely this year and last.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Makes it that much bigger of a priority to address next offseason. Nothing worse than kicking the can down the road.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we have a 1st rounder next year with no glaring needs outside of o-line and pass rusher as well as all our other picks minus the 2nd rounder. We also have 100+ mil to spend next off season and not many people we need to resign. Next eyar we can look pretty heavy at improving the o-line

Jake Matthews is playing his 5th year option this season off his rookie deal as the 6th overall pick for ATL. he's only 26, maybe we can lure him away?

Noam and PennyandtheJets like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe, but it's no guarantee that the Falcons don't find a way to keep him.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

of course, but it's not like we aren't in a position to improve.
    Early reports show next years draft class as strong for tackles. could be 4-5 1st rounders.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If this is true - do you have a quote or link? - then Macc should be fired. When has that strategy ever worked? Did he happen to watch the SB this year, or any games that the Eagles played, because they provide a dominant case for having an excellent OL. In fact, there really is NO unit on a team that you can say "We'll just use low drafted scrubs and coach them up". Sure, it's possible to strike gold with someone like that, but that's like betting a particular number on a roulette wheel - the payoff is bigger because the odds are greater.

I continue to question Macc's philosophy, whatever that is.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear ya, Bama. IMO the OL is a real concern, and I don't want to see Darnold on the field starting day 1 even if he's ready and has beaten out both Teddy and McCown for that very reason. Maybe by later in the season if the OL has gelled, is outperforming expectations, but otherwise, I'd rather sit Darnold and let McCown take the beating. That ought to have us in draft position to get our new LT and an edge rusher in next year's draft.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He said it in an interview a couple of years ago so I dont have a link.

12. ColoradoContrails

Thanks.

Maybe I spoke too harshly about Macc there, but maybe I feel more of a sense of urgency than he does. I don't know if he gets how frustrated and out of patience many Jets fans are. It may be the best plan in the long run to do as he's doing, building incrementally, but while I want to see the Jets become a dynasty - or at least have sustained success over the years - I also want to see a SB before I die.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear you. Colorado, and I think that many of us share your frustration and sense of impatience, but imo Mac cannot. He has to do things the way he thinks best. It took 40+ years to develop this level of frustration and impatience in us, and Mac can't fix that in a couple of years. I say a couple of years since the rebuild only began last year. Before that he was trying to upgrade as he could while having to focus on the short term. Now he's been given permission to focus on the long term.

I really liked Mac at first, then really began detesting him. He's won back some of the trust I had in him earlier, but he still makes head-scratching moves that drive me crazy. We are definitely better off than we were 4 years ago, and there is more reason to hope than there has been at any time over the last 20 years or so with the exception of 2008 when we had Favre, and 2009-2010.

Unfortunately, I think our mantra is going to have to be, "Patience is a virtue."

14. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, basically "I want my cake and eat it too".:)

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Leave it to the Jets to tease us with a FQB after 5 decades and not have the table set for Dinner..

Mac must think OL are boring ..unless they played at a Div 2 school or something

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I firmly believe the Jets will supplement the offense with more talent next offseason. Yes, ideally it would have been best if they had the entire offense set up, but that is really hard to do in the NFL.

I imagine they will be big players for 1-3 offensive lineman during free agency and could potentially use that 1st rounder on either another olineman or a big time playmaker to pair with Darnold.

17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Anyone know how the two O/L UDFA's from Auburn looked?

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Fortunately next year's draft is looking pretty good for o line , especially at the tackle position. It's also Deep at D line, hopefully our D line pans out and Mac can add some studs to the o line.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. Mac seems to be building the team draft wise by yearly positionsl strength as much as possible & isnt afraid to consider his chances a year further down the line.See taking 2 safeties in 17 while passing on a QB bc he knew 18’ was loaded.

Anyone see the early big boards heading into 19’?Alot can change no doubt but there are at least 3 blue chip LT prospects & handful of top end edge rushers.

We’ll grit our teeth all through this coming season waiting for some talent on the flanks on both sides of the ball just like we did this past season at QB.Permitted we stil stink we’ll be picking early w the choice of high quality talent for all that ails the roster & thats after 100M in cap space.

In the meantime,it’s a zone scheme so that does provide a bit of a safety net as does all 5 starters returning for a position in which cohesion is absolutely vital.Finally,do we really want a youth movement at OL while Darnold gets acclimated?Might be best served w a veteran line even if they are just average;At least for year 1

Noam likes this.
  20. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Also seems like there will be good depth at WR and LB