Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But if Mahomes turns out the way he could, passing on him will be another in the long line of Jets mistakes.

To put it another way: if Adams turns out to be an All Pro, and so does Mahomes, the impact Mahomes has will dwarf what Adams does - it's the nature of the position. Macc made a mistake even if Adams turns out well, which I think he will - rather than taking two safeties, he could've had one (Maye) and a FQB, AND have all his picks this year AND possibly be in line to get a Barkley. "Strategy" like that is why I'm not a fan of Macc, but can only hope he catches lightening in a bottle this time.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can understand that. Especially because a main reason for not picking Mahomes or Watson had to be selecting Hackenberg in the 2nd Round the year before. So the mistake of picking Hackenberg hurt the 2016 draft and potentially the 2017 draft. Then giving up so much to trade up it could hurt the 2018 draft. That is the stuff people don't realize when they say "It was just a 2nd round pick, no biggie." To be fair, I was happy with the pick at the time, but it clearly was a mistake as we all know now. (Many knew then)

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I will say this about Mahomes is that he is the perfect spot. KC's offense is loaded. If a QB cannot succeed in KC with Reid and the team there then he would fail anywhere. Simply because a QB does well with KC should not lead people to believe he would do well on other teams.

In regards to drafting Mahomes. It depends on how you have him graded. Most people had him as second round grade. It on ly takes one team to draft him early but you don't use a 6th pick on a project if you give him a second round grade.

4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Good for you, you've captured the debate perfectly.

5. LF911SC

Don't put people on ignore. That's as childish as a couple of nitwits who went to the mods crying a week ago. It's a public forum. I don't get pissed at a different opinion.

All I'm saying is you may be right. Anticipation is always an issue with college QBs. Then again it's totally accepted that Mayfield threw as part of the best offense, some of the worst defenses to lots of wide open WRs. Both will face different Defenses and schemes in the NFL, if they don't grow they'll bust.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. LF911SC

By watching the games. Mayfield, no fault of his own, was on easily the best offense, the best talent, with WRs who were open, got tons of separation compared to Allen. Doesn't mean Allen would have put up huge numbers if he would have benefited but it's a thing. I don't prefer one over the other, just find it hard to believe that Mayfields fans make him out to be Luck or Manning. They all have questions about their games. I go back and forth, not sure who's the safer bet. But I'm not like some here who have called me names and then when I still didn't agree with some of the nonsense written go off to a mod to cry foul.

I've like our little disagreements, your a class guy, don't know if I'm staying here, just wanted to put that down.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My point was agreeing to disagree. We do not see the players the same way and that is always acceptable.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

9 days til this crop of bullshit dies and a new crop sprouts!

9. PennyandtheJets

Could the new crop be growing in the Mayfields?????

NCJetsfan and phubbadaman like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly. Sometimes you get lucky. Just because the odds of flipping a coin and heads coming out 50 out of 100 times, it can come up heads 100 out of 100 times because the odds of each shot is still 50/50. Over time it probably won't work out. The Jets may be on a streak that pays the vig, stops the beatings in the back alley and allows us to ride the front float in the cannon of heroes. Of course the odds, like analytics is for pussies and the GM that drafts Mayfield.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

I hope so. Or in a bouquet of Rosens. Because those are the two that can make the smell of bullshit go away real quick.

12. PennyandtheJets

[​IMG]
    Lemme just leave this right heeeeere

xxedge72x and Noam like this.
  13. PennyandtheJets

FILTHY throw at 3:45

Over the underneath coverage, placed perfectly on the run and in bounds. My absolute favorite throw I have seen from him.

xxedge72x, JohnnyJet1222 and Noam like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Honestly the next throw was just as impressive. The guy is impressive in general. But you know, he only throws to open receivers...

15. PennyandtheJets

He def has wide open throws, but that happens in college. All I know, is the dude balls out against top college competition. That throw at 3:45 is impeccably accurate and into a tight window on the run.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This will be me in the New Jersey Performing Arts Center if I check my phone and find the Jets took Mayfield. Adam Sandler will remember me as the guy who got ejected from his show because the Jets took Mayfield.

17. ColoradoContrails

I've mellowed in my old age. In years past I would take every comment that didn't 100% agree me as a personal affront and engage in word warfare until one of us tired or surrendered. Winning an argument isn't that important any more. I came here to learn, and have done so, and some of the lessons haven't been kind, but I try to stay open-minded. I appreciate your insight, if I don't usually agree with it...contrast is important to seeing the whole picture, not just the parts we want to see.

I've been here for about a year and half, and have "threatened" to leave a couple of times. but a short recess usually works in restoring my batteries. I look forward to continued debates if you decide it's worth it.

As to the first part of your response, I guess I've found it really hard to just rely on my eyes and amateur knowledge of the game to make comparisons and judgments about players who play for completely different teams and leagues and systems, so I try to gather as much "expert" info and data as I can and then form my thoughts and post them here to see how they stack up with others. Maybe you have a much more knowledgeable background than I do and can rely on just watching tape, but I'll take all the data I can. In any case, it's not us who will make the decision, it will be Macc & Co. for better or worse. It's funny, sometimes I think we believe that Macc trolls this site and we can convince him to make the choice we think is best, but I don't think he's going to do that.:p

And as for thinking Mayfield is Luck or Manning, I'm not one of those. I do think he can succeed by being one of those guys who overcomes whatever is in his way, which his track shows he's good at. The Luck/Manning guy in this draft is Rosen, with the caveat that he stays healthy. I really do think he has the ceiling of those two guys if all goes right. So for me, it's Rosen first, and then Mayfield would be fine because I think he'll fit well in the system we think Bates will use, and I would love to see his fiery attitude playing for the Jets.

Cidusii likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

Mayfield interview with Russel Wilson airing tonight at 7 PM EST on ESPN.

19. ColoradoContrails

Well it's just what I noticed the more I watched his tape. He really does stare down his intended receiver, and that allows the defender to close in and make it a "tight window" when it didn't need to be. And with Mayfield, I think his anticipation is way above average and his reads are fast so he finds the open guy and gets the ball there while he's open.

Of course these are generalizations and don't apply 100% of the time, but I do believe they're a factor.

The bottom line for me regarding Allen is that he's a "project" and while he's not Hackenberg level, he will take some time to develop, if in fact he does, and the Jets can't afford that development time. And the fans will crucify him the first time he stinks it up, which ALL rookies do, but in Allen's case everyone will see shades of Hack and panic.

20. xxedge72x

Another: