Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

rosen is also very arrogant ... are you not concerned about how he will respond to adversity?

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the season before mayfield started they went 8-5

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well said. Funny thing, not too much is being highlighted about the bold on Mayfield but for Rosen many consider that a big red flag. Yet the real issue with Rosen IMO is health. Rating the two on attitude and cockiness is a wash. If Mac assesses health as low risk Rosen should be our guy period. He is the pure passer that can make all the throws from the pocket or on the run the likes of which the Jets have not had since times memorial.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You also think Tanner Lee is the best QB in tis class and lied about reports of him lighing up the senior bowl practices.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

theres probably a ton.

The interview is probably the most important part of the combine, but thats only, what? 5 min?

just schedule an interview and skip the combine

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

As a supporter of Mayfield, I am not blind to his red flags. I don't think any Mayfield supporters on this board are oblivious to them either. All 4 QBs come with flaws. His red flags are fixable though in my eyes.

NY Jets68 and Noam like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. There are no sure things. All of the big 3 Qbs have tremendous upside but come with some big red flags. Rosen has pocket presence issues combined with a durability issues which might scare some teams away. Mayfield has his height and spread offense. Both Mayfield and Rosen have possible character issues that I don't think any of us can evaluate without more information. Darnold has turnover and fumbling issues along with some lower body mechanic issues. Allen has great measurables. In a perfect world I would prefer Rosen except I am not sure he is very adept at avoiding hits and his body type is not well equipped to survive those hits. He has the potential to end up to be a shooting star where he has a strong start to his career but has a career half the length of the other QBs. The statistics for Mayfield in every analytical area look amazing but even if he continues to grow up to 6'1 will that hold him back with similar problems like Tyrod Taylor has throwing over the middle? How will he transition from the spread? Will he end up being limited in the type of systems he can play in?

I will be very happy to get any of the big 3 but there is no sure thing QB in this draft. Any of the big 3 could implode on us. But we should be happy and have hope as long as we don't get Allen.

#1287 Noam, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Allen is throwing onto tighter windows, to WRs who don't have the same separation as the receivers Mayfield was throwing to. Hard to have incompletions put on a QB who's throwing to wide open WRs. What I expected.

Point was only 2 or 3 completions for a QB putting up 30 or so passes changes his completion percentage to one people cry inaccurate into what is more than acceptable.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Except it hasn't. Put Allen on Oklahoma and Mayfield on Wyoming and try and tell people that their numbers would be exactly the same. Who's kidding who with this? It's not a crime to admit that Allens WRs suck. Everyone knows it, except the people who have to push Mayfield by lying about Allen. They both have questions about the reasons for their college numbers. It's not that hard

10. PennyandtheJets

That might be a big misconception though. "His WRs sucked." How do you know that? The data shows that Allen's WRs had the lowest drop rate among all 4 of the top Qbs.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree withy that Penny. I'm not opposed to Mayfield but prefer Rose. All four have shortcomings, but Rosen and Mayfield are IMO ready now. Attitude can be adjusted thru maturity, but raw talent is a gift that can not be acquired thru practice. All you need to do for either is create a game plan to maximize their respective strengths. Allen has probably the highest ceiling but also the highest risk to bust. Darnold is a bit of a mystery to me, not sure why so many see him as the undisputed number one.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you look at the statistics you can see they say you are wrong. They say that Allen is awful when throwing into tight windows and that Mayfield is the best throwing into tight windows which is measured by defenders within 1 yard of the receiver. PFF and another site also say that Mayfield has the best in ball placement positioning while again Allen is the worst. The statistics over and over say that Allen's accuracy is much worse than his 56 percent completion percentage. It is nice to have an opinion and repeat that opinion over and over on a message board but it is only an opinion that is unsupported by any evidence other than saying you are right and everyone else is wrong. While I think analytics can be overused they help provide evidence that removes some bias and gives context to each QBs performance and what we see on film. It is a tool that gives us some perspective which helps us to degree to sort the QBs. Evidence which again is much greater than some guy posting his opinion on a message board with no supporting data.

13. PennyandtheJets

This. @LF911SC

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is just flat out incorrect. Someone literally posted the stats for you and you're just choosing to ignore them.

15. PennyandtheJets

Better word to use would be "Analytics". That "Stats" word will upset people lol.

#1295 PennyandtheJets, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Seems to me that we are looking between Mayfield and Rosen, I hope Allen is not on our board at 3 at all.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think any factual evidence that goes against a certain person's opinion will upset them regardless of what you call it...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a different kind of arrogant. But I don't see him reacting the same way Mayfield did and Rosen is much younger.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

drop rate is misleading. many of the top WRs even in the NFL have high drop numbers. Mike evans is considered a top 10 WR in the NFL yet is always top 5 in drops. Brandon Marshall was well known for that as well. The reason people say Allens was surrounded by trash, is the draft grades. there isn't a single player on wyoming offense outside of Allen, that is draftable.

20. PennyandtheJets

That's a fine retort, but even if they aren't draft eligible, it doesn't make up for his accuracy issues according to the analytics that are out there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.