Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nope. But I know Ohio State was a top defense, and USC was crap.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think we have a good idea on what Baker does well at this stage. I still have reservations. Every article about Mayfield is generally positive, and I know he has a fiery attitude which is what the Jets need, but I still need more. Anytime I read news on Rosen, I just find myself to be much more excited about potentially having him as a QB.

FJF and xxedge72x like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Lots of fans did.

4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Actually it doesn't. All it shows is that he completed a couple fewer passes per game than others. But people like to stick that on the QB.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

PFF disagrees with your opinion and said so in this article https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/4/9/17213706/baker-mayfield-scouting-report that Josh Allen is the most at fault by a large amount when throwing an incompletion. So not only does he throw a lot of incompletions but those are more often his fault than incompletions form other QBS. So if you believe that and other data such as drop percentage, ball placement and more Josh Allen is even worse than his completion percentage said he is.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pro Football Focus

✔@PFF

When looking at who was at fault for incompletions in college in 2017, Baker Mayfield once again was among the elite!

4:16 PM - Mar 9, 2018

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If Baker was 6ft+ he would undoubtedly be the 1st overall

NYJetsO12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. Fair enough.Everything i post is being construed as overreaction or the liike.Its clear my posts are rubbing people the wrong way or my opinion just isnt valued any longer.

Im sure a few folks will be happy to hear this but im out.I stand by everything ive said but it seems anytime someone questions acertain prospect in any capacity people go on the defense.Imnot fighting it any longer.it was the same crap during the Fitzpatrick hold out. I hope everyone has a fun draft night & we finally get our man. I wont be here to celebrate.

#1267 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I don't always agree with your opinion but I do appreciate the thought and passion that goes into those opinions. I have lot's of respect for the work you put in even if I end up with a different result. In my opinion we focus to much on the end result when the focus should be more on the thought process that gets us there. Keep on posting. The board is better off with more thoughtful and intelligent posters. I know this is an emotional time. We draft a 1st round QB once every 10 years and the wait is interminable and it is sure to fray a lot of nerves. But when the pick is made and done hopefully we can all be Jet fans again and enjoy our mutual shared years of suffering.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine why anyone would pin a bad completion percentage mostly on the guy throwing the ball...

The myth that Allen’s receivers are to blame has been both blown out of proportion and debunked by stats and film.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How can we blame the net for this?

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I hear ya and I don't necessarily disagree with your comments on Leaf. My only response is that Mayfield hasn't really shown that he can't handle losing or the media. He has lost big time games and has handled himself very well.

Of course the crotch grab thing was out of line, but if you were 22 years old and extended your hand to shake your opponents hands...isn't there a possibility that you or I would have been pissed? I'm not a hot head by any means, but the Kansas team was just as disrespectful to Mayfield as he was to them. He can't do that in the NFL. He needs to just be fiery and rally his team (like he did in the Kansas game), but just without the retaliation.

With good coaching (Questionable with Bowles, but maybe he is the calm leader Mayfield would thrive under?) and good veteran leadership (McCown), I think he can shift his fire towards the team.

#1271 PennyandtheJets, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

great bit of info here. A question I had about Allen was, "Is the low completion percentage his fault? or a result in working with less talented WRs?"

This sheds some light on the topic

Noam likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes I do think so

14. STARoSCREAM

these are excellent points as well.

if he were 6'3 even, he'd be #1, so why let the height bother you over performance.

Game tape should be the Number 1 factor in drafts IMO

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

It never is though, sadly

16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Hahahaha

The guy threw like 400 passes last season but after completing over 70% of those his coach suddenly decided “hmm I don’t think this guy can see”

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

He technically is 6ft+ already. 6ft 2in is typically the minimum height teams look for. His hand size (9 and 1/4 in) I think is the bigger concern over his height.

phubbadaman likes this.
  18. STARoSCREAM

The combine is so over-rated and over-analyzed.

Odell ran a time slower than his game speed would indicate

Jared Allen only benchpressed 225 for 13 as a DE

who cares about the combine? It makes teams lean in ways they NEVER would had the scouts skipped it

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Ive been saying for years that I wish a GM somewhere would set a precedent and not go to the combine. Or a player refuse it, although they would have higher consequences unfortunately. the combine is dumb

20. PennyandtheJets

Anquan Boldin is another great example of the underwear olympics being a bad assessment of skill.