Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lol. Maybe a Georgia player put chemicals in Mayfield's eyes and he was temporarily blinded.

#1241 Walt White, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Why did Super Bowl winning coach Pete Carroll put the ball in Russell Wilson's hands on the 1 yard line at the end of a Super Bowl when Beast Mode was having a Beast Season and a Beast Game?

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ya draft Darnold ..get ready for pick 6 and memories of Taco boy

Ya draft Rosen ....it's MUCH better but Doctor Dad and Ivy League Mom MIGHT say one day "walk away with the big contract son ..not worth Early Alzheimer's kid!"

Ya draft Allen...he's big but he's smart too and Phil Simms likes him ...meh ...struggled against Iowa .a .project on a project

GUT IS STILL SCREAMING FOR MAYFIELD

Mac ...go AGAINST your style for big galoots and watch the kid prove it all on his own!

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ahahahah..if we draft him he goes from one dumbass to another

AND THE KID STILL WINS

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Love the casual racism in this one

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pretty sure this violates the cease fire.
    Now, I think the choices brad gave, we’re rosen and a rb or mayfield in a spread. Regardless of prospects, I’ll take the workhorse rb in the northeast. Of course New England is getting by without one but they also have the goat and always have a reliable checkdown option at rb.
    I’m not going to get into the qb prospect comparison since I am quite sure that conversation would end in a disagreement and possibly a post or 2 being reported back to brook.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I could care less what Leaf has to say about the QBs in this draft class.

Mayfield lost in the Rose Bowl and was in no way broken by it or a sore loser. He was emotional, but also handled himself very maturely. He noted how much he loved his teammates and how he would miss being a Sooner.

If anything, that loss showed me great leadership as we already know he has. Didn’t complain or blame. Just said, “can’t believe it’s over”. The guy would bleed for his team and LOVED Oklahoma. Heart baby. All heart.

Here is a press conference after losing to Iowa. Faced the critics and noted that the team was complacent. Faced the media and answered some tough questions.

I realize that the NFL is a different type of pressure, but Mayfield hasn’t done anything to show that he can’t handle losing or the media.

#1247 PennyandtheJets, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. Kim Jones had some interesting things to say this afternoon on the FAN.She said that talking to coaches around the league(Excl. NY teams) the defensive minded head coaches seemed much higher on Mayfield than offensive ones.He brings a defensive mentality to the QB position.Bowles thinks he has the passion & fire needed to turn around the Jets.

Thats all fine & well.But i didnt like Bowles answers acouple weeks back saying Mayfield mobility was just like Russell Wilson as to overcome his height. His mobility is nowhere near that of Wilson..the comparision is laughable. If Mayfield is gonna succeed hes gonna do it making his own path just like Wilson & Brees.plus Wilson is a gane manager.If thats all Bowles is like looking for why take a guy top 3?Wilson was a 3rd round pick in his own right.

But if Bowles thinks this guy is a Wilson level athlete outside the pocket or thinks we should pin our hopes on a yay rah rah game manager maybe he should leave this draft pick to Mac. I worry this is the sequel to Rex falling in love w Sanchez intangibles cause he had more spectators at his pro day than Josh Freeman.Rex admitted he didnt think Sanchez was a franchise QB but that he could win w him.Is this Bowles pulling the same crap? I wanna hear about Mayfield’s Ball placement,velocity & quick release..those better damn well be the reasons hes chosen at 3..not just cause he talks Bowles tough

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ryan Leaf is a drug addict and ex-con. Who gives a fuck what that failure thinks?

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is not a Bowles call, or at least it better not be. Mac and Bates needs to be front and center on this one. I don't want a defensive coach dreaming about the mobility issue like Wilson. I want a QB that is feared for his passing and his reading defenses, his mobility is just a plus all else being equal.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That presser is on their website and Bowles mentioned him in passing in a relaxed setting. He wasn't exactly comparing him to Wilson in an analytical sense. I think you're getting all worked up over very little.
    The Kim Jones statement is interesting nonetheless. I did get the impression Bowles liked Mayfield as it was. But he was talking in very general terms about a lot of players. If other coaches like him it's alright for Bowles to like him too. Nothing to lose it over

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I should not have laughed at this as much as I did. :D

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Also this is directed at @PennyandtheJets

Leaf WAS these things. People that realized their mistakes and seek to tell others about it, I respect that. He’s really turned his life around lately.

Now, Leaf wasn't always a cancerous asshole. Leaf was the toast of college football, he was a winner, he was cocky, etc ... When he struggled in the pros, he said it himself, he didn't know how to respond ... when his attitude took a toll for the worst and he became this cancerous player that people remember him as. You guys should remember who he was AS WELL prior to all of the issues.

So if things don't go well for Baker, no he cannot transfer schools, throw footballs at players heads, or cry about not getting handshakes. He also said there is no evidence to believe that he'll follow along in his footsteps if met with adversity, but it COULD happen.

#1253 101GangGreen101, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    LAJet likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

The Mayfield evaluation for me goes beyond the stats. I look at his skill-sets and character. All I am saying is the kid has made some very questionable mistakes in college. I hope he grows up, but like I said, you cannot just transfer schools and start over in the NFL. 1 thing can cause you to flame out really quickly.

We all know Mayfield is accurate with the football, I do question is deep ball as it takes every bit of his body to make the throws down the field. To me, it was always a 3 QB draft and Allen / Mayfield were not in that 3.

That said, we will end up drafting Mayfield because its what the Jets do. For Bowles to potentially pick Mayfield because he is better for the defense is absolutely the dumbest thing, I have heard someone say. That worked really well in the past when Rex banged on the table for Sanchez.

FJF likes this.
  15. xxedge72x

When faced with a president like Donald Trump, we weep and cry out for the hero we need, the hero we deserve: John McAfee

16. xxedge72x

It could happen to anyone. The only thing Leaf and Mayfield have in common is that they are / were top names going into the draft.

There are numerous sources much closer that speak to Mayfield's character yet we want to listen this guy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

Did you happen to check the defensive rankings of Ohio State and USC?

18. 101GangGreen101

They were both very cocky and the toast of the NCAA. Its more then what you are saying above. Like I said to the other users, remember who Leaf was prior to him flaming out. People loved him too.

Also, this was my opinion on Mayfield from the start, its not just about Leaf. I think its absolutely right to question it. NFL is a mental game, so when things aren't going well for a few weeks, I wonder how he will react.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

His inexcusably pathetic career 56% completion percentage shows Allen is not accurate.

20. xxedge72x

Sure. It's a part of the process.

Frankly, we don't know what teams are seeing with their in persons, so we're really limited to rehashing old news. I think if you're going to acknowledge the take of someone like Leaf, then you need to acknowledge the other takes as well, good and bad.

Like when I listen to Jim Miller talking about how he wasn't crazy about Mayfield until he met him at the Senior Bowl and got to watch him throw, leaving then feeling like Mayfield was his favorite.

They are takes, both of them.