Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Georgia pass-rush put a hurting on Mayfield especially in the 2nd half. Rangy linebackers getting to Mayfield when hes going out of the pocket. They kept him in the pocket and while the playcalling was bad, he wasn't great either. They exploited that offense in the 2nd half.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's young, and hot headed, but so were most of us. Are you assuming he can't learn? This is a guy who has proven his drive for success, beyond what most people - including most posters here - demonstrate. You can disparage his accomplishments, saying he became a starter at T.T. because of injuries, but the fact is he saw his chance and seized it - that alone shows savvy. You can dismiss his numbers because he plays in a weak conference, and his coaches "schemed" receivers open for him, but isn't that what coaches SHOULD do? And when a receiver is open, shouldn't you actually get him the ball?

And you dismiss his belief in himself that allowed him to take the risk of transferring schools, and sitting out a whole season, and the confidence to withstand all that to come back and succeed. It's not like he "ran from adversity" into a sure thing.

I fully agree that you have to look beyond his stats to assess him, but it's like you and others want to completely dismiss his stats on one hand, and at the same time dismiss all the other attributes he has except any BAD ones. You would be much more honest to just say, "I'm biased against Mayfield, and nothing anyone can say will change that". When I hear all the complaints about "Allen Haters", there's just as big a group of "Mayfield Haters". How about if all just do our best to set aside our biases and try to at least accept another POV, even if we don't agree with it.

NCJetsfan and Leicester Jet like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Watching those highlights, I don't see how people can think Mayfield will be a bust. He has the It factor. Threw his WR open on that last TD too. Impressive.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

After watching Mayfield vs OSU, I clicked Rosen vs USC and it just impresses me more. Rosen makes more NFL throws. Triple P: Prototype Pocket Passer.

Cidusii and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We have no way of knowing what he would have done at Wyoming. He may have no been able to walk on with Allen there either for all we know. Point is he played with a whole lot of talent and took advantage of it. But his numbers are inflated because of system, talent and conference. That's it. The evaluaters will have to figure how much of his success is his doing.

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

"It factor". Haven't heard that since Jets fans said that Mark Sanchez had it in spades.

Jets69 likes this.

7. It all comes diwn to the leadership piece in terms of he vs Mayfield. I havent heard Rosen once mention his teammates or anything close to suggesting he can lead a franchise like the Jets..Do i think hes capable of it?I do.But havent heard what i want to hear in terms of him being the on field “CEO” who is gonna rally this franchise past its shallow identity & perpetual pitfalls of tentative play.

Mayfield from a leadership perspective truly gets it.I have no doubts about him at all of being the leader we need assuming the production aspect falls into place. The kansas game doesnt bother me..in fact i sort of like it.Jets get disrespected by everyone on the field & off.Its about time they have a renegade who can stand up to the patriots smugness.Mayfield is about blunt force,grit & swagger.

Theres talk of Mayfield fitting the system better than Rosen.If the jets truly feel that way than that tells me they can work around Mayfield’s potential shortcomings.If this is all true it’s really a no brainer compared to Rosen. Mayfield is just all around a better fit.Pains me to say cause ive loved Rosen all along..but i have legit concerns ablut the intangible aspect

8. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

There were a handful of good throws in there, but I can't help but notice how wide open the receivers and running backs are when he's throwing to them. #36 in particular was open every single time and inflated Mayfield's completion % and YPA big time. Why not just pay Keenum or Alex Smith to do the same thing?

The Dark Knight and Jets69 like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Just because someone is open doesn't mean you can hit them. Did you see the video of Mayfield and Allen throwing at the nets where Allen sailed his throw completely over?

And paying Smith or Keenum would be a LOT more expensive than signing Mayfield to a rookie contract.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not me homie

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He’s handled a lot of disappointments so far. He had to walk on twice. The way he handled disappointments was to keep working hard at improving and proving the doubters wrong.

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Leaf's downfall was that he sucked out loud he couldn't handle that. Oh, and he's dumb as a stump

ColoradoContrails and Harpua like this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Leaf was arrogant and entitled. When things went wrong he blamed others instead of figuring out what his role in it was and trying to improve.

Walt White likes this.
  14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I think Mayfield is going to bust hard in the NFL.

15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Those short guys were killin' it...

16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Its just extemely rare for a short QB to make it in the NFL.

Its even more rare for a Big 12 spread QB to make it.

If Baker was so good why did his coach take the ball out of his hands in the fourth quarter of the rose bowl against georgia? Its because they knew he was too short and couldnt see.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Or, he was hurting from the rib injury he got to start the 2nd half.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

or maybe the coach is just a dumbass

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Yeah good analysis. They realized in the last half of a Heisman winning, incredible season, that he was actually too short to what he'd been doing the entire season. Yep. That's it.

20. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

You're right. The one throw in that one practice drill where Allen overthrew the net shows that Allen is not accurate and Mayfield is accurate.

LF911SC likes this.