The Official 2017-18 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 13, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nice. What's your Cup pick?

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m rooting for the Kings or Predators, but to your delight I think it will be Caps over Preds.

Caps are due and I can’t imagive Ovechkin not getting a Cup.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Caps don’t have the depth or the goaltender to even reach the conference final, let alone beat a humming Columbus team in the first round.

My picks...

Tampa
    Columbus
    Boston
    Pittsburgh

Kings
    Sharks
    Jets
    Preds

Tampa or Pitt will make the cup final. If Matt Murray kicks it into gear again then Pitt can threepeat, sadly.

It’s hard to see anyone knocking off Nashville with all their depth and rinne back there. Jets are certainly an intriguing team but have yet to prove it in the postseason. All eyes on Helleybuck

4. The Dark Knight

It's the opposite. The Caps have one of the best goalies in the league in Braden Holtby, and a goalie who has played even better than him this season on the same team with Philipp Grubauer. I think the Caps have more depth than CBJ, which will give them the edge. Not sure why you feel otherwise, but we will see! Getting to the ECF is another story for the Caps though. Not really depth related, they just have a tough time getting past Pittsburgh as we all know. Just like the last few seasons, I feel confident they can get by them, but they have to prove it and do it.

Boston or Tampa will definitely be a tough ECF opponent for whichever Metro team makes it there. If it's Toronto, they will be tough too.

The West does seem to be Nashville's to lose, but the NHL playoffs don't always go as people think.

5. nyjetsmets89

Holtby is not the same goaltender this year as he has been. His backup isn’t playoff tested. Honestly if Kuznestov can raise his game they could go farther than they usually do but I don’t see it. On a random note I think Orlov is such an underrated player

6. The Dark Knight

Orlov is a rare player that has actually gotten better since he was paid. And agreed on Kuzy too. Needs to show up come playoff time. Holtby definitely had a rough patch this year, but I still believe in him and expect him to return to net sometime this playoffs.

7. nyjetsmets89

Yikes what is Kadri doing....on the other hand Kuznetsov has raised his game. Some good playoff hockey but not enjoying the blowouts

8. nyjetsmets89

What was that I said about orlov? o_O

Panarin makes Columbus dangerous. A flick of the wrist and it’s over

9. JetBlue

Capitals be Capitalin.

10. The Dark Knight

Even an optimistic fan like myself can only take so much. Embarrassing. I'm done with any optimism or belief in this Caps team with Trotz as Head Coach. His style just doesn't work in the playoffs. Every game is always too close no matter the competition. Look at the rest of the East's Game 1 games: Pens 7-0 at home, Bolts 5-2 at home, Bruins 5-1 at home. That is how it should be. Trotz's style doesn't allow for big leads. They get a lead and just sit on it. Same thing for 4 seasons. Shameful. Caps will still make it a series and maybe even win it, but who cares? All I want is the Stanley Cup and that is not happening with Trotz. Not starting Holtby was a great idea too. Grubey allowed 4 goals. No way a Vezina winner like Holtby could do that good! Great call.

Yeah, I am pissed. Not sure how Caps owner Ted Leonsis expects fans to continue to pay top dollar for home playoff games with these results. I know I am done after tonight.

11. JetBlue

That was the worst part of the Isles losing to the Caps three years ago — to be thecteam that couldn’t beat them in the playoffs.

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I want the Caps or the Tampa Bay Rangers

13. matt robinson 17

It's only 1 game TDK, keep the faith

14. The Dark Knight

The Caps have had plenty of Round 1 success. It's after that where the problems start.
    Agreed, but being at the game, the atmosphere was the exact same as the past. That is what has me worried. Loser mentality, no killer instinct. Not CBJ, I think they are good, but beatable.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Torts has a way with the Capitals...Caps need to win this year, the Rangers are not their opponents finally haha

16. nyjetsmets89

And here we are again in the 2nd period lol. Even with 2 goals from Ovi. Panarin though...#DoughRising

17. The Dark Knight

My cousin offered to buy my ticket to tonight's game. I refused after Game 1's embarrassment. I dodged a bullet as tonight was even more pathetic. Hats off to Bobrowsky but the Caps are a mess. 2 OT home losses to start the playoffs? Just awful.

Ovechkin was great tonight, but as usual his team failed him. I love him and Holtby so much, I pray they are traded this off-season so they have a chance to succeed elsewhere. Carlson, Backstrom, Oshie and Kuznetsov too. They are all talented players who somehow have the worst luck in the NHL in DC. They are all young enough to contribute to a Stanley Cup run on a new team. I will sacrifice getting to watch them play, for their own success elsewhere. Ovechkin deserves a Cup.

As for Caps fans, God bless them for continuing to support and believe in this franchise despite all the heartache it has caused them.

On to Game 3: Start Holtby.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rough loss, still series isn't over yet. Must win game 3

19. matt robinson 17

Why the hell is Grubauer playing? Keep the faith, TDK, 2 OT losses could have gone either way!

20. The Dark Knight

Yep. One at a time, but I am not liking the odds.
    I don't know. Grubauer had a solid season, but I would have started Holtby. I assume he will start Game 3. Yep, could have gone either way, that is what makes them so frustrating and upsetting. Happens far too often with this franchise.

There are a lot of bad teams in sports, but you could argue the most frustrating thing is good teams who find a way to blow it and lose. For some reason the Caps have been doing that the last 10 years. Hard to explain how it happens.