How good was Al Toon?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Apr 8, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

SIGN THIS BEAST!!!!!!!!

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're the only one talking about the Jones. Can you deny that speed and athleticism are qualities that can help a football player succeed?

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Would have been great to have Rob Moore a little longer. AZ got his best years IMO

4. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Pretty much, 94 was a very good year though. I really enjoyed waching him that season and was heartbroken youngster that he went to AZ. Imagine if him, Wayne, and Keyshawn teamed up! That would have been very cool, not enough damn ball to go around though prolly.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Moore is my all time favorite Jet he had unbelieveable talent & put up some nice numbers. Maybe if he had stayed along w Chrebet & Keyshawn we wouldnt have drafted Alex Van Dyke which is another plus

SecretConnection likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

One of my best memories as a Jets fan is being in a bar illegally when they were playing Miami and seeing Toon get destroyed by a safety but catch the ball on the 5 yd line, then get up and walk away from the guy without even looking at him.

There was a Phins fan at the end of the bar yelling at the TV up until that point and after that play the dude just shut up. Fucking Toon was an animal.

That's my second favorite Dolphins game memory after the MNF miracle and seeing Phin fans puking in the parking lot after the game.

K'OB, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That was great....fu for posting! ;)

jetophile likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

I think I remember that play...Toon was almost horizontal reaching for the ball and got BLASTED, just got up and all's good. crazy.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Arnold says hello! There were so many times over the years after my Daddy passed away that we would just make like a tree and leave if the Jets were blowing pineapple chunks. I earned my stripes. Me and the old man both had to get up early for work the next day, but for some reason, we stuck around even though the Jets were getting blown out

When the Jets started coming back, I had to leave my seat, and I practically jogged the entire Mezzanine about 20 times. Pacing, pacing, pacing! The tension was unbearable. I kept stopping at every concession to peek at the TV, saw Jason Taylor start to get extremely nervous. Pacing, pacing, pacing! Pacing, pacing, pacing! Then I would stop short, and watch a play from the top of the steps all around the periphery The Old Dump because I couldn't help myself. When it first became tied, people were trying to get back in in droves, haha. I thought for sure it was gonna be another heart breaker, but we stayed. I'm one of those people who also turns off the radio at critical moments out of extreme freak out overload. I'll find out about it later!; but then I can't stand it, and turn it back on. And then off. And then on again.

Four minutes remaining, I finally went back to my seat. Heart palpitations. My nerves were fried. There was probably only about 35,000 people left, but no-one would believe how loud it was unless you were there (you were, so you know). It was Party Central in there. Bryan Cox, I forgive you for being a former Miami puke, and yes, Jumbo Elliot, I forgive you being a former Giant. We had it set to tape on VHS before we headed to the game. I was really tired by the time we got home, but I was ramped up, I couldn't sleep. I watched the entire Second Half, and went to bed at 3:00 a.m. I think I watched Jason Taylor crying in slow motion roughly a thousand times for three months straight. I still have that tape. : )

EDIT & P.S.: One game we walked out of was the Jets vs. the Bills in 2007. It was right near Halloween (my favorite). This crapfest or a haunted hayride? Duh, haunted hayride, let's go!

#109 jetophile, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  10. jetophile

'94, as to being a good year, eh. The Jets were poised to tie Miami for the division lead at 6-5, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand may I present you all with the "fake spike" game. UGH! It was just so . . . Jetsy. Jets lost out the rest of the season and finished 6-10. I did really like Moore as well, though, agree with you there. It was an early October away games vs. the Browns, and the Jets were getting clobbered. I can't remember what Browns player it was now, but Moore was trying to get a first down and also get out of bounds to stop the clock. Guy grabbed him from behind about 2 yards short, and Moore was really struggling to get out regardless, but the Browns player that stopped him short, he kept him inbounds and wouldn't let go. Rob Moore was so frustrated, he started crying. I'm serious. Physically crying. Took off his helmet and cried some more. I'm sure there are others besides me who remember that. Brutal game to watch.

Tell ya something funny. The first time they showed Bodgan on 'Breaking Bad', my first reaction was, "Hmmm, he has Rob Moore's eyebrows." Yes, they were that prolific. I really did like him as a person and a player. He was pretty damn good.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

As a long standing NYJ fan MHO is he never lived up to the hype or supposed potential he was supposed to have :mad:

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Of all the negative things that have occurred to the NYJs over the years I would say the spike plays was the MOST
    embarrassing loss that I have ever seen :mad::mad::mad:

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Not only embarrassing, but it absolutely crushed the entire organisation. I've never seen anything like it. The Jets were a pretty decent 6-5 team with a shot at taking the step up to win the division. They had respectable players on both sides of the ball, a gutsy young head coach showing promise, and they were handling the Dolphins, taking care of business and looking like they were going to get a fairly comfortable win. Then the Dolphins came back, won the game with the fake spike play and the Jets had taken their first step on a 4-33 run.

Four wins and 33 losses over the remainder of that season and the next two! I will never be able to quite believe that mid-nineties period. It was surreal.

14. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I miss having a Star Receiver or Star Running back. They 80's teams sucked hard in a lot of ways but I still miss the O'Brien, Toon, McNeil days and damn! they had cool Hero type names as well.

FJF likes this.
  15. jetophile

Clark Gaines, RB, you can't make it up.

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Kurt Sohn.

I always thought that was an incredibly cool name.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

God I hate seeing Marino wearing that ring of his...

Oh wait what!!!

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not even close to Mike Battle.

19. Footballgod214

Al Toon was SO good that 26 years after he retired fans are still be creating "How good was Al Toon?" threads ;)

20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I know what you "mean" because he was a legit freak of nature who didn't have the stats or big playoffs........

But I disagree because of the teams he was on.

He was the BEST jets WR ever

I don't feel like typing on this iPad all the reasons why, but he was.

Trust me