Dozier and Qvale Sign

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Apr 6, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

4/6/18, 3:50 PM

#Jets announce they have re-signed OL Dakota Dozier. Also, OL Brent Qvale signed his RFA tender. pic.twitter.com/vLVeBFXQQT

The Jets continued to bolster their depth along the offensive line with the re-signing of Dakota Dozier.

The 6'4", 313-pound Dozier, a fourth-round selection of the Green & White in the 2014 draft, set career highs last season with 14 games played and three starts. Towards the end of the 2017 campaign, head coach Todd Bowles told reporters that Dozier was one of the most improved players on the roster.

Entering his fifth season, Dozier has appeared in 32 games and made five starts. He is another player with position flexibility that can suit up at guard as well as center.

2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that the OL has now been upgraded from 2017's unit with Wesley Johnson the only person leaving and Travis Swanson and Spencer Long coming in. Nice to have Dozier and Qvale back. Still need a future LT, but perhaps we find him later this month or next offseason.

boozer32, JetFanInPA, LF911SC and 2 others like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree I'm satisfied with the transactions during FA. It was an interesting situation in that the line needed to improve, but outside of Wesley Johnson, it was hard to see which positions would change. Beachum wasn't so bad and is still young. Shell could be better, but you want to give him more time to improve as a starter. Glad they are. The guards may have had down years, but they're under big contracts and wouldn't make sense to cut Carpenter without a better option. Maybe an upgrade at C will help everyone. They did a great job resigning depth and not resigning Wes Johnson and bringing in Swanson. Would still be nice to add at least 1 OL via the draft, ideally 2, but these resignings seem to make the need to do so less than imminent (not that it precludes them though)

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I like how none of the contracts are prohibitive as well. lots of the contracts we gave are 1 year prove it deals or have an out after 2-3 years. next year we still have over 100mil to spend plus whatever we carry over from this season. in other words the players we signed that play well can stay on, and those that don't can move on with no effect on our cap really. mac has done a great job this off season

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I was hoping to read that the Jets had signed Hankins, but guess this is good for depth. The Jets have re-signed Dakota Dozier and Brent Qvale signed his tender offer.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...ith-Jets/8d66f5b1-479c-4745-8615-ca69298de7d3

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...A-Tender/012b2b4e-f9fc-4b27-b53b-e759372a2199

It seems like the Jets were allowing them time to field offers from other teams. That's smart, as they had the right to match on Qvale. Even though they felt Dozier was the most improved player on the team last season, I guess they didn't like him enough to give him a tender, however.

sec314, CotcheryFan and westiedog1 like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Good to know we can cut the scrubs. But when do we get good linemen instead of scrubs?

stinkyB, tomdeb, sec314 and 2 others like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wesley Johnson was so bad, he's an insult to all scrubs. :p

Jets69 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

when it's possible. johnson was the worst center in the NFL last year. even signing the 2nd worst one is an improvement

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I miss Nick Mangold.

Burnz, Jets81, CotcheryFan and 3 others like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

Yup it wasn't a sexy draft, but with 2 1st rounders we had 2 anchors on the line for a decade. Doesn't get much better then that. Plus before him we had mawae. The jets have been spoiled with centers

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO Carpenter needs to go. I've liked him, but he doesn't fit the Jets' zone scheme, and he struggled last year in it and struggled in Seattle with it. That's why I'd love to see the Jets draft Ragnow with their 3rd round pick and start one of Long, Swanson or Ragnow at C, another at LG, and the third can back up both positions.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I miss Joe Fields.

jetophile and Ptflea2 like this.
  13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Offensive line is still an issue. Both guys we signed have injury issues. I look at building this team to a playoff team as a 2 year plan with the way most of the contracts were designed and all the cap money we will have next off season. Our dee is way ahead of our offense in talent. U can’t fix everything in one year. We r getting there but we must find a long term answer at qb and go from there.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Loved joe fields. When we were good we always had an excellent center. We don’t anymore.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

It always astounds me, that the most underrated position in pro football (the O-Line) is piecemealed and under adressed with fervency. Bolster and solidify that line, and you make mediocre QB's and RB's look like hall of famers...

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It was not a coincidence that the giants won two titles after they stole OT Kareem McKenzie from the jets with a then record contract for OT. Not saying Kareem was the only reason, but the jets should have never let him walk in 04. Another Bradway blunder.

RochesterJet and onefanjet like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Get that memo to the BPA GM. Never understood how they neglected that one side of the ball all these years.

#17 boozer32, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Beachum was our best lineman by far last year , but will be 29 to start the season. Not really young .
    I agree Carpenter will likely be on the roster this season due to his contract. Let's hope he improves with better center play and Dennison's coaching.

boozer32 and Walt White like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree Carpenter is better suited for a power scheme than zone. Last year the Jets ran more power /duo blocking plays and some outside zone, which surpringly was more effective for them, including Carpenter.
    Ragnow does not really have the mobility and athleticism for a zone blocking scheme and would be much more effective in a power blocking scheme.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I still can't figure out how to pronounce Qvale. Is it like in 'There's Something About Mary'? "Brett Favvv. . . ra." Brett Favre, I called him Brett Pevre for the longest time. Jenn Sterger, a disaster in her own right. What was this about again?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.