How good was Al Toon?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Penning10

Penning10 Member

I am asking this question because as a fan of the Jets & a pretty decent Jets historian I wanted to get the perspective of fans that watched him play throughout his career. I only caught the tail end, and even that I was a young kid. I know he was talented and I’m aware of the numbers he put up, but was he a special player that was really fun to watch? Or just a real good receiver who never fulfilled his potential because of the concussions?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I remember him as a great receiver, certainly one of the best in Jets history. What a difference he would make on this team!

3. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

He was a fantastic receiver. Good for catches in traffic and breakaway speed. I wish we had 2 like him on today's roster.

4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

All Toon was the very first of his kind. The Jets were pioneers of the big, rangy possession receiver. All Toon was simply taller than just about every run of the mill cornerback of those days. All Kenny O ever had to do was simply throw the ball higher and Toon, who was already taller and could still jump higher than corners of those days, would catch the ball out of the sky. He provided a real live advantage for the offense. His talent for that time shocked the league. The only equalizer that defensive coordinators thought they had was to make him pay dearly every time he caught the ball. And did they ever. He took some of the most savage shots I've ever seen. Concussions severely shortened Toon's career. If he hadn't suffered so many concussions its not a stretch to think he would have easily gotten into the hall.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Very good and him and walker were dynamic ....

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Toon was a great receiver. Very sad how his career ended. He was almost a freak, a 6'4 receiver that ran like a gazelle and had these big mitts.

similar style to Calvin Johnson, I think. And he would've been every bit as good statistically as Johnson if he played with better QBs and the friendly rules that Johnson has played with. They tee'd off on "defenseless receiver" Al Toon

jetophile, IDFjet, hornblower and 4 others like this.
  7. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

Al Toon was a great receiver and an even greater person. He was my Son's favorite player. When he was about ten I took my Son and his friend to see a practice in Long Island. After practice we were leaving and saw Toon walking towards the parking lot. I had my camera with a telephoto lens so i figured I could get a good shot. Toon noticed me and said "hey dad why don't you do it the right way". He walked over to us and put his arms around both boys and I got a great picture. He talked to us for a while after. I will always remember this.

tbruner12, AJW, tiger8mush and 21 others like this.
  8. KleckoNamathToon

At one time, though only briefly due to the injuries, it was a highly debated question, who is the best receiver in the NFL, Al Toon or Jerry Rice. They had completely different styles so it made for a great debate but Al Toon was that good.

Mogriffjr, stinkyB, LF911SC and 3 others like this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Great hands, quick as hell, physical ... fantastic WR who would have been one of the greats if only he could stay healthy.

hornblower and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He and Namath were the two greatest talents to ever play for the Jets. I think Randi Moss redefined the position but Toon at the time was a freakish talent. He routinely made circus catches.

11. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

Do you remember the catch he made against the Giants that knocked them out of the playoffs?

hornblower, LF911SC and KWJetsFan like this.
  12. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Do you remember the catch he made against the seaslugs for a touchdown?

hornblower and LF911SC like this.
  13. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

He never had the drops, if the ball was near him he would go after it and not care about how he would land on the ground or what safety was about to drill him in the back.
    It is unfortunate but O’Brien and his lack of mobility made a lot of Toon getting open over the middle patterns not get completed. He would go between the hash marks catch the ball and take shots where I thought he would never get up but he kept at it and never had alligator arms.
    This team hasn’t had a threat like him and Walker since those days of the 80s, Meshawn would not be allowed in the same conversation as Toon.

14. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it "defenseless" That's just a BS rule that's been put in recently... When Al Toon played you played Football... today it's a Much Different game... It's up to the QB to Not put his receiver in that position..

15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's why Al Toon used to get "Tuned" up... Kenny would throw it up high and Al was left to take the brunt of the hit.

IDFjet and hornblower like this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He was as good as anyone you’ve seen. Soft skull and shitty o-line will keep everyone out of Canton.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

O'Brien always led him like a lamb to the slaughter, but Toon was really THAT good. I saw Al Toon riding on the #7 train a trillion years ago. He was tall and skinny as a rail. He had his Jets duffel bag with his practice stuff between his legs, and if you knew the #7 then and the #7 now, that local POS hasn't changed much. There were about only 10 people in the cattle car. I think it was his second year, but I didn't want to bother him and ask for an autograph. As if anyone would know who Al Toon was then; but yeah, I sat an empty subway seat a way from Al Toon and knew who he was. : )

AJW, tiger8mush, IDFjet and 4 others like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Toon was one was one hit away from being concussed into a permanent coma. That's why this shitty lying ass NFL crap is even more lying ass. His neurologist said, "Retire or die." He retired. No sources or links, but I distinctly remember that neuro saying if he took one more serious hit to the head, his life was over.

hornblower likes this.
  19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Just adding a vote, since others have said it all. A great great player, who was very much ahead of his time as a big man capable of circus catches. If he had had a full career at the level he played he could have easily made the Hall of Fame.

When it comes to pure talent, he's right up there with Namath, Gastineau, Revis, and Sauer as being at the top of the list for the Jets.

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

That is a great memory!