Good Article about overdrafting QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Beasley was on the haters list that draft year for sure. Most on here didn’t think he could beat top Tackles & was too soft against the run

Much like Jet fans hate QBs who have more arm strength than accuracy they hate edge rushers who are more athletic than physical.Someday I’ll understand why but for now still licking my chops from the Barkevious Mingo Vs Jarvis Jones pre draft argument which I’d like to think I was correct on.So much for all those lay up stats in the SEC that supposively made Jones a cant miss

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

And isn’t it just as easy to find drafts where teams passed on qb’s to draft “better talent” and it backfired?

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no he didn't. sanchez is the reason we didn't make a SB. he lost us games

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree they shouldn't take a QB just to take one, but I also think that all 4 of the top QBs could become FQBs eventually. It will be up to the Jets to make that potential a reality, but the potential is there IMO.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Common sense right?
    The most talented teams across the board compete for the Lombardi year in and year out.
    Those teams allow 3rd and 6th round picks to become FQB's. The team is in place and a FQB rises to the top.

You my friend, under this premise are anointed the message board draft expert. If only the members with a hard on for another QB could see this truth.
    Talent wins Lombardi's, not FQB's.

6. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Never forget.

[​IMG]

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This question isn't particularly relevant, IMO.

There are lots of busts and/or guys who don't pan out in the long run. The point is that any team who doesn't have a good QB should be prioritizing finding a good QB. And that certainly goes for any team with a high draft pick.

8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

The two AFC title games we lost were not Sanchez’s fault. The great Rex defense came up short in both

Harpua and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

I agree for sure

10. GasedAndConfused

he was 17/30 (56%) 2TDs and 1 INT in the indy game. manning did shred our defense but still mark did little to help or keep us in the game

in the pitt game he was awful in the 1st half leading us to only 3 points with 9 seconds left in the half. he did play really well in the 2nd half but we ran out of time. it was too little too late

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So you were expecting a ROOKIE playing in the conference championship to keep pace with Peyton Manning?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

not at all, i'm just saying his play cost us the game. I don't' blame him, like you said he was a rookie and i expected growing pains. but it doesn't change the fact he played poorly and was a liability for us

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Truth!!!!

A great QB can literally win you 4-5 games alone

Shoot- any game with Rodgers, or Brady becomes winnable. Any game they play, regardless of roster, location, weather, can be won.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's a fair argument to make in general but the author does a piss poor job of making that argument.

1) he thinks QBs are overdrafted, while everyone kinda knows that anyway, he only really cites 1 year in which that was a bad thing. And yet, even in the 1 year he cites, he acknowledges a highly selected QB has won a league MVP & gotten to the superbowl. yikes!

How about surveying multiple years, analyzing years in which QBs were highly drafted and years they werent, comparing/contrasting and coming to conclusions based on evidence instead of "an NFC personnel director told me...."

2) He flippantly states that only Darnold and Rosen are worthy of top 10 picks, fine, but yet he offers NO reason or backing for that claim... seems like if you disagree with the rest of the football universe, its on YOU to prove your opinion has merit. Otherwise, why would I even consider what Bucky Brooks has to believe over 99.999% of the football analysts out there??

15. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

That may be may be true in a sense but there is no hiding from the fact that 16 of the last 20 Super Bowls were won by teams that had legitimate franchise QBs. If you honestly believe that a Franchise QB will magically rise up around a team that's well put together, you're kidding yourself. Just look at 2000 Ravens, arguably the greatest defense ever put together and they won 1 Super Bowl? If they had a franchise QB they easily could have won two or three. Look if you truly don't get the importance of a franchise QB in today's game, then either you're just a contrarian that likes to argue against common knowledge and widely accepted concepts, or you just really have no idea what tips the scale in terms of team building.

16. tbruner12

So you think that dynasty's/teams are built around a rookie QB, then you are the one who hasn't an idea.
    The importance of a Staff and system in place is what creates FQB's. The draft in the last 40 years is full of QB's that had talent but ended up on a team that lacked direction a staff and an offensive concept that made the QB successful. It isn't the other way around.
    Of those 16 Super Bowl winners you refer to, every one had what our team has lacked.
    Name a QB that has turned a team into a dynasty without what I say is most important? There isn't one.

17. tbruner12

Not even remotely true.
    If Nacho can replicate McCowns play from last season, we win a Super Bowl. He didn't, so we didn't.
    The run game and defense carried the team for two years. Nacho's play and deficiencies, killed us. Period!

18. ColoradoContrails

I can't argue with what you say is most important, in fact I fully agree. That said, the owner isn't selling, and he just gave the GM and HC extensions, so we can either try to move forward by getting a potential FQB (mission accomplished for step 1 of that approach), or wait until we get the right foundation in place. I'm too old to wait that long, and getting said FQB in place does not preclude getting the other things you cite in place.

19. tbruner12

What is done is done, and even though we are placing the cart infront of the horse, all we can do is hope that Todd and Jeremy can get this franchise moving. Maybe they know more about football than what they have exhibited up to this point, and good things are around the corner.
    We have some talent on the offensive side of the ball compared to what Geno and Josh McCown were surrounded with, so maybe Sam will put points on the board this season.
    I hope and pray Sam starts day one.
    Why not? It isn't like any QB has an advantage with the new offense for 2018/19. Bates should have plenty of time to tailor the offense for Sam to play day one, Rather than coddle him for a year and a half. Peyton hit the ground running and he was drafted by the Colts to be the FQB for a decade or more, so why sit Sam?
    Play his ass ASAP, get him use to being the FQB that leads the team.
    Josh will be there to help him.
    Let's hope and pray Sam gets the job on day one. If he can't beat out Josh and Teddy in a brand new offense this year, he probably was the wrong pick for us.

20. ColoradoContrails

I completely agree. This league is set up to protect and reward QBs, so no better time than now to get him up and running. I'm willing to give him a little bench time - 4-6 games at most, but if he can't get on the field then, I'm going to be worried. After all he was hyped as the best QB in the draft, so he ought to be able to come up to speed quickly. And you're right also in that Bates needs to create an offense that fits Darnold, not build an offense and then try to fit Darnold into it. Darnold has unique abilities that the other QBs on the Jets don't have, so Bates needs to make use of them.

tbruner12 likes this.