Off field Jets stories!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stevied, Mar 2, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Our friend, Alex, flew to SF to see the Jets vs. the 49rs, only to have Garrison Hearst hammer a stake into our hearts and rupture our collective aortic arteries at the same time. Oh, my God, that game still gives me chest pains. I had agita for five days minimum. There aren't enough Rolaids in the world.

Wesley Walker walked into a sports bar a few hours after the game where a bunch of Jets fans were crying in their beer. He autographed a bunch of bar napkins, and shook hands with everyone. Alex was half in the bag, and says, "Hi, Mr. Walker! I wasn't sure at first, but I had my eye on you! I . . . ooooops, oooooooooo . . . . ." Hahaha, best foot in mouth Jets story ever, Wesley Walker was really great about it, cracked up, and signed the back of Alex's Jets T-shirt with a sharpie.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I met John Roman at a pizzeria on LI once a million years ago. Nice guy. Had retired a couple years earlier.

Also met Jeff Lageman at a bar at Hofstra during training camp once. Really cool guy.

3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Growing up in Long Beach, Brandon Moore and Jonthon Goodwin lived a few doors down from our house. We used to see them come home from being out and one day my father actually invited them to our Sunday dinner! Only Brandon Moore came and this was when he was an undrafted guy just trying to make the squad. We shared laughs around my grandmothers dining room table and at the end my dad had him sign a bunch of stuff for us and told him "I can tell your going to be a great Jet!" Years later, we were at a Marriott in Nashville, I believe this was opening day for Mangini's first year and we found out we were staying at the Jets hotel....we saw the team walk in through the side door and we were sitting right there. Saw Dbrick Mangold and then we saw Brandon--he recognized dad right away and ran over to us. We chatted for like 15 minutes and caught up. Told him about my grandma passing away and he couldn't believe it...he said "I'll never forget how good her pasta was and how hospitable to invite me in as a no name guy back then". We never kept in touch with Brandon after that, but being a little older now I would love to find a way to connect again somehow. One of the nicest men I have ever met and one of the unsung heroes as far as I'm concerned.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good one! Thanks for sharing that. I've said this before, but that user name is beyond funny, I couldn't decide at first if you were being a troll or just scocciato. I'll take a stab in the dark and reckon that you've dropped your tickets.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jets played a charity Basketball game at my High School years ago met Bruce Harper great guy lots of laughs. Chris Ward sat on the bench next to other players and it cracked in half lol. Met Glenn Foley on draft day at what was the All Star Cafe and he had a beer with us great guy. Another guy walked by us on the way in he looked like a kid and was tiny it was Chrebet,,,,,,a few minutes later I meet Fireman Ed for the first time and after talking to him for a few minutes I began to dislike him and to this day I wish I had not met him , kinda ruined the image I had of him with the reality that is him to make matters worse minutes later The Jets Pass on Sapp and pick Kyle Brady ugh,,,,,,You want to hear about when I had seats in the first row around the 40 yard line and we were sitting with Jet Player family and friends right behind Johhnny "7 eleven" Mitchell and we wore paper bags on our heads !

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Spill the beans

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

There are no beans. It’s a mirage

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

well let's see.......

Draft day 1993. I'm in Davie, FL and I find out ( can't remember how ) that Marvin Jones was at a local bowling alley/sports bar celebrating picking selected # 4 overall. I drive over there with a Jets pennant for him to sign. He's there in his own room with like a hundred over people/family members etc. He comes out holding some kind of a mixed drink so I approach him. He seemed slightly buzzed. I happened to be wearing a Harley Davidson t shirt ( I don't ride motorcycles it must have been given to me ) and he signed my pennant and eyeballed me and said something like " I don't know about you..." and walked off. A few minutes later another guy walked past me and some other guys start talking to him. I overhear that it is Kerry Glenn, a former Jets DB who as playing for the Dolphins by this time. He seemed friendly. I walked over to him and told him that I remembered his first ever INT which came against the Bills in 1985. I had watched that game - he intercepted Vince Ferragamo and ran it back for a TD for the finishing touches of a 42-3 win. When I told him this his eyes lit up and a big smile came across his face. Keep in mind Kerry Glenn was a marginal player - most on this board probably don't even remember him. He walked me around the entire bar - arm around me - introducing me to all of his family and friends. LOL. And yes he signed my pennant also.

The following weekend was Easter and I remember thinking how he was probably sitting at his dinner table telling everybody about me....LOL.

NY Jets68 and Brook! like this.
  9. mrjet80

It's truly amazing as we all watched the Jets throughout the '82 season and particularly the playoffs what was really going on behind the scenes. A real shame because Walt Michaels was a damn good coach.....

Peebag and Brook! like this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Easy to proof, post a pic of him at the wedding : )

Brook! likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Best part of the story is Mo probably showed up on time...

12. jacktucky

jacktucky Member

I met Wesley Walker at a charity event in NYC. I shook his hand said it was a pleasure to meet him and f*ck the Dolphins. He said, "Yes, f*ck the Dolphins"

kevda5n9ne, Brook! and Peebag like this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yes, we all agree. Fuck the Dophins.

Brook! likes this.
  14. mrjet80

LOL!! I met him too once - nice guy.

15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And he stayed late!

16. LF911SC

As I said, theres no reason to prove anything to anyone. Its your or anyone elses prerogative to believe it or not. I dont get paid for this

It happened, you decide, I was there and know the truth

17. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

20 years back I would get coffee every morning at Colts Neck general store and Klecko was usually there. I never bothered him, would just say good morning. Never gave him my name but the girls who worked there knew me and I had Jets sticker on my truck. So one monday morning after a brutal loss, I walk in with my head down and feel a giant catchers mitt on my back I turn and its Klecko. He says "don't worry Mike, we'll get them next time". Klecko knew my name lol

18. mrjet80

That’s cool bet it made your day a little better ...

19. LF911SC

He still goes there and is very approachable, will take the time to say hello, say a couple of words to a fan

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

...and did they?