Hunting

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Cmon out here to Central PA. We got them just milling about like rabbits. Deer are everywhere out here. Can't wait to see the rare headless deer carcass on the side of I-83. :)

FJF likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thats a wrap on the deer season. i'm leaving a few cameras out to see what might have survived. like fred bear says, next season starts as soon as this season ends.
    as promised earlier, here is the fight between a half rack and a decent buck

CBG likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

little guy held his own,,,,,but was that really a fight ?

4. FJF

Yea, by this point in the year they don’t have much left in the tank and this had been going on for a while. Another camera about 200 yards away picked up some of the action too. They went at each other for a good hour and covered some ground.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

6 doe (1 fawn) and a 4 pointer just chilling at the tree line in the field behind my house right now. 150 yards out. They like to taunt.

FJF likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Figured this would be a better thread than starting a new one since I know the right people will see it.
    Long story short, the house I bought was a hoarder house, already found some treasures but also finding a lot of ammo. Right now the only ones I could use would be shot gun shells but they are pretty aged. The 22 is rim fire so can't use those and there is other assorted ammo.
    Just curious what you would say the limit would be on age to where I could use the shotgun shells. I am talking 30 year old for some of it, maybe more.
    Withe the brass shells is there an age you would be wary about using it?

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

8. FJF

yea, i am no gun expert by any stretch and i am guilty of loading some pretty sketchy shells into the ole 12ga when rabbit hunting, but 30 year old shells? sitting in house in fla? get rid of them. shotgun shells are still relatively cheap.
    but your post reminded me of the old addage about the sounds guns make. "the 2 loudest sounds in the world are the boom when it is suppose to go click and the click when its suppose to go boom

CBG likes this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Look at Fjay = exhausted from his driving marathon yet still manages to come on here and write a post that makes perfect sense . I would toss the shells but thats me

FJF likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

Thanks, yeah the 30 year old ones for sure were going. Being I can't really age the other ones I'll probably toss them all. I'm still waiting to dig deep into what else is out there and hope I find a gun or two. That or Jimmy Hoffa, figure I could put his putrefied corpse on ebay and get a pretty penny.

I still can't understand what someone needs 3 chop saws for, especially lined up in a row on the screen porch.

11. FJF

Big bobcat.
    Turkey started today. I’ll be out in the morning. Settled on a tactacam POV camera. Hope to get some good footage.

#471 FJF, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Don't shoot the bobcat or I will hunt you down and kill you. ; ) The biggest problem with deer overpopulation is lack of apex predators, because well, fur trade and extinction of apex predators.

Speaking of apex predators, coyotes are a different breed around here. Confirmed Wolf/Coyote Hybrids. Had some off the charts encounters. They are huge. Some off-duty cop was strangling a coyote yesterday in Westchester Co. before it got shot in the head by an on-duty cop.Yep, it does turn out the coyote had late stage rabies. However, 30 lbs., lol. The coyotes around here are upwards of 50 lbs. Rule of thumb: if you ever see a raccoon or a coyote in the middle of the day, chances are, its rabid. Look down, don't make eye contact, and slowly back away.

Good luck turkey hunting. The buckshot will bounce off of their feathers as they laugh at you. Do you eat them or do you just shoot the Toms? Turkeys have a bad rep for being ugly, but they're actually really beautiful birds. Haha, seeing Toms doing a ballerina dance full fan in front of a gaggle of females is hilarious. Toms are also extremely vicious towards each other. They're not er, nice. The Toms are mini nasty dinosaurs with killer claws.

FJF likes this.
  13. FJF

I agree about the predators but bobcats are not taking many deer. They like smaller easier game. He’s safe now and probably forever, very elusive cats. I’ve only seen one in the woods. Not going to lie. Getting one is on my bucket list and I promise I will only ever take 1.
    Coyotes on the other hand are a shoot on sight. They are getting more and more populated and really messing up the deer and turkey numbers.
    I’ll eat the turkey if I get one. Only the breast is good on a wild turkey. I make jerky out of it. True story. I shot one in the chest with a 12 ga at basically point blank range and he flew away. Stumbled upon him a 1/4 mile away and finished it. Not sure if he would have lived or not but there was no blood and the meat was loaded with the shot.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You wouldn't BELIEVE the wildlife I've seen. Usually pure luck and up close and personal. Saw a bobcat twice (two completely different locations, and yes, highly elusive). Barn Owl (gorgeous), Barred Owls (tons of times. I like doing calls at dusk, and it's awesome when they answer back - it's an easy call to master), Screech Owls, Red-Tail Hawks (some of those encounters were insane), American Kestrel, Osprey, Peregrine Falcon, Cooper's Hawk, Pileated Woodpeckers, Bald Eagles, you name it, I've seen it. Little Green Heron (they're kind of rare around here), Cormorants, etc. One time when I was hiking I saw a Snowy Egret and a Great Blue Heron having a staring contest in a dead tree near an abandoned trout farm. Easy pickings, because although the water is long stagnant, there's still fish in there. Somehow. Lasted a good 10 minutes. The Egret finally blinked.

I really could go on forever, but I'll give you two fascinating deer encounters for now. This one time I was on the top of a mountain in the Fall. Saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Huge buck was freaking TIP-TOEING so he wouldn't make any noise. He didn't even snap a twig. Yep, they do learn about being hunted. 'Tis true. This other time, I unfortunately stumbled upon and came dangerously close to a buck in rut. Not for sure clear if there was something else wrong with him, but but he was making these really primal guttural noises, hissing, whacking his antlers against trees like a ram, got up on his hind legs like a horse, thrashing himself around like crazy. Yes, deer can slice you open with their hooves and kill you. I ran like hell.

Oh, one last thing before I come back another time soon and post some more stuff. Black bear. In the woods one time, and I see this black shape coming towards me. It's really booking. "Oh, shit." Can't run at this point, it's a bad idea. What do I do? Think fast, think fast. Start yelling and screaming and make a bunch of noise? Drop and roll into a ball and cover my face, head, and ears with my arms best I can? They generally avoid humans, but if it's a Mama Bear with cubs nearby, I'm screwed. The last five seconds was like a movie. Going really fast, but in slow motion, if that makes any sense. BOOF! Knocked flat on my ass. It's slobbering all over me. Guess what? Someone's 1 & 1/2 year old New Foundland wanted to say hello. Guy comes running, calls off the dog, helps me up, apologizes profusely. "I'm so sorry. He loves people so much, he does that." "It's OK. I'm a dog person." Yeah, I almost crapped my pants.

[​IMG]

Please don't shoot a bobcat. I go with my neighbor's code. He's a responsible hunter to a fault and an expert marksman: "I never kill what I don't eat - unless my life is in peril." OK, thanks.

#474 jetophile, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    stinkyB likes this.
  15. FJF

Well, turkey season was a bust. None of the places I have permission were holding birds or they were not gobbling after fly down. Couldn’t really get one to commit to the call.
    On to the product review.
    Tactacam is a heck of a camera. Crystal clear picture , not a wide angle lens so the distance looks more accurate(something 5 yards away doesn’t look like it’s 100 yards away) and the microphone is works great. I could clearly hear an owl hooting 75 yards away and turkeys responding to it 60 yards away.
    The head mount is good for recording what you are seeing but when it’s time to aim the camera ends up pointing down at the ground so you won’t get the target in frame. Not really ideal for turkey hunting, the gun mount was a better option there. Head mount might be better for deer. Otherwise there is a stabilizer mount for the bow. We’ll find out in 4 months, hopefully.
    Wish I had some footage from the turkey season .

16. The Waterboy

Have some value questions for the knowledgeable gun people here. I came into a few guns recently and looking to sell a few of them off. Have a Savage Arms 30-06 Model 110and I was thinking of selling around $300-$350, a New England Pardner 20 GA 3" Mod was thinking about $200, and a Sear and Roebuck Ranger 105-20 16 GA bolt action which I was thinking around $150.

Was wondering if my numbers are good. Got those $$ off gun broker and auction web sites but I know many times they don't get the asking price. Let me know what you think.

17. FJF

I’m not really a gun guy, I have a few and they all have a purpose but as far as collecting and knowing about value I can’t be much help. Saying that I would think that sears and Roebuck would go for more to the right collector.

18. The Waterboy

Thanks, the Sears gun was the hardest to try and price out. There weren't many online for me to get a good idea on price. They are a pain to try and sell though if you don't know people, can't sell them on FB, Craigslist or Ebay like I do most other things I sell.

Thanks again.

19. FJF

So bow opens next Tuesday so I figured I’d bump this thread with some tactacam footage from last turkey and bow season.

This is opening day turkey season. Very impressed with the microphone on this little camera. This turkey started gobbling 150 yards away and the camera does a good job of picking it up even in the rain.
    Sorry for the long video. Didn’t run it through the editor before publishing.

20. FJF

2018 bow season. 8 pointer: the camera is mounted in the stabilizer. You get a little vibration with the shot and I completely forgot to keep the camera on the deer after the shot.
    Sorry for the overreaction, been a few years since I took one with the bow and the adrenaline was pumping pretty good

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.