Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Oh well

Guess they're drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick

FJF likes this.
  2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

1 yr/7M guess the market isn't what he thought it was going to be.

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I way over estimated that. I'm surprised he went to the Texans of all places. $7m, we could have had him for just $1m more than Skrine.

#1483 Sam Hammer, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The Jets hav
    There is a reason why he was cut I guess.

5. Ozymandias

Go get Vinny Curry. Jersey kid.

6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That could be a good Wilkerson replacement.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Harrison was drafted in 2015 and is not on the roster. He didn't even make it to the PS in 2015, I don't think. He was signed by the Bucs in January, 2017 as a reserve/gutures player, but evidently didn't last long there. According to wikipedia, he is currently on the roster of the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL.

8. NCJetsfan

I just saw an alert flash on my screen that Mathieu is expected to sign with the Houston Texans. He doesn't want to play for his step-father-in-law and past DC! That must be somewhat embarrassing for Bowles. LOL

9. NCJetsfan

Why? He did nothing on the Seahawks and is a huge character risk. He doesn't fit in with the Jets at all.

10. NCJetsfan

It's possible that the Jets didn't even pursue him, or if they did, they low-balled him, but it also could be a case that he didn't want to play for Bowles again.

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Perfect example of why the Jets are a joke. They have all the money still. Mathieu for 7 million is the bargain of the century. He would have made the secondary special and he’s a playmaker, which they lack and they pass because the secondary is good enough. Always content to not be great at anything.

Jets69 likes this.
  12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They didn’t want him. It’s obvious

13. Walt White

Jonotthan Harrison, he played last year some and actually looked okay. There was talk if him possibly beating out Johnson early on but it didn't happen. They gave him a look tho. He was depth tho.
    I think he might still be in play at C/G. I thought he was a restricted FA but I'm not sure.

I think you're thinking of Jarvis Harrison?

14. Walt White

They sign Mattieu and there's people wailing that they only go for D. Wailing.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No surprise on Jet's non-interest in the Honey Badger, He was released too late in the process for them to budget for him and they'd already spent a lot to bring in Johnson and then re-upped Claiborne. The Jets also have two good safeties at this point on cheap rookie deals and there was no obvious place to make Mathieu's domain.

Things might have played out differently if it became obvious that Mathieu would be available earlier in the process.

The thing to keep in mind here is that the idea that the Jets had a lot of cap space and should have gotten him is invalid given that the NFL valued Mathieu at a 1 yr/$7M deal. The people who would have been thrilled if the Jets jumped in with a 3 yr/$30M offer don't understand how the economics of the cap work. You don't spend money to guarantee getting a guy. You spend money to retain your key guys and to fill a gaping hole on the roster. Whatever Mathieu was, he was not going to fill a gaping hole on the roster.

16. NCJetsfan

Well, that depends upon whether or not you view Skrine as a gaping hole. It wasn't a huge need, so I can understand they're not going after him, but it would have made our coverage/pass defense better, and could have done a lot to help the offense in terms of shortening opponents' drives, limiting them to fewer scores, and giving our offense more chances.

17. Ozymandias

or he had a better chance to start in HOU

Walt White likes this.
  18. Walt White

Signing Johnson and retaining Claiborne is gonna help Skrine. Add the years experience with Maye and Adams, and maybe even Roberts, and overall it will be better. Roberts wasn't great either tho. I'm down on Burriss, maybe he bounces back, and you have the draft picks Clark and Jones from last year too..

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is a major fail no matter the reason. Whether the Jets weren’t interested, he didn’t want to play for Bowles, whatever it’s a major fail. The only valid reason that makes it somewhat understandable would be if he just wants to play safety full time.

Tyrann Matthieu is making less than Buster Skrine this year, let that sink in for a minute.

20. NCJetsfan

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I could only go by what you posted, and you said that
    This implies that you were talking about Jarvis Harrison, that Mac drafted, not Jonotthan Harrison who was signed last year as a FA. Regardless, neither is still on the team, unless I missed Jonotthan being re-signed in the last day or so. Jonotthan was a UFA according to both Spotrac and Over-the-Cap.com.