Reason Why We CAN'T Sign Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 13, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Some of you guys will probably say I'm making this thread way too quickly--but I will respectfully disagree. I am going to make a case that going forward, unless we're able to build our team back to competency via draft, we will have trouble doing well in pro free agency in the foreseeable future.

The reason for this is due to the annual increase in salary cap that will have players picking the teams in the cream of crop year in year out. It will also enable the best teams to keep their pending free agents around long term. Thirdly, it will encourage players on struggling teams to go to free agency to get paid AND to get to a more competitive organization. The only way to really get better going forward is to draft well and to have coaches in place to develop those players, after getting your team improved...only then will you have the chance to attract those left over free agents.

Gone are the days where these bad teams with cap space are getting players like Brett Favre, Curtis Martin, Prime Darelle Revis, LT.....these talents aren't forced to choose just the money anymore.....now they can have their cake and eat it too.

The solution is to get a GM that has been with an organization that from year to year has proven they can develop their own talent. The solution is to find a GM that is a good negotiator and can get us MORE draft picks as currency to use. The solution is to find a competent coach to train these players into becoming role players on the team. Money will not fix this team anymore....

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

That's what or GM is trying to do. Not saying he's the right guy, and certainly not Bowles, but he says building through the draft and supplementing with FA is the way to go long term. Meanwhile, we need a QB, Center and CB NOW!!!!

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Macc may not be a good GM so any criticism aimed his way, I'm not gonna dispute. I just wanna add that the coaching staff is a major reason why players sign where they do as well.

Imagine yourself being a free agent, you visit some places and the coaches there fire you up, make you want to strap on a helmet immediately. Then you go visit the Jets and Todd Bowles is yawning, speaking softly and monotone with no enthusiasm. By the end of the meeting you may be thinking about another career choice all together. Or you might not. Either way, you are definitely thinking about that OTHER organization instead

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, clearly all the great teams will continuously have tons of cap space every year to always sign the best players. The NFL is now MLB.

Dierking and Jets_Grinch like this.
  5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

have you ever watched an interview when a current jets player talks about bowles? it seems like you havent

FJF and Jets_Grinch like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why would anybody want to come to a high tax state and play for a team that hasn't won anything in decades? Its not simply about the cash anymore as there's plenty of places with lower taxes and better environments to play. What makes the Jets a preferred destination? Certainly not the winning culture and the media is enough to send most running for the airport. The Jets have a long way to go before they become "the place to be". Its not enough anymore to be in the largest media market in the US. Just ask the Knicks about playing at the "mecca of basketball". Great place to visit, but they don't want to play there evidently.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I agree the coaching staff is an issue, but I was thinking that it was more about there being little guarantee that Bowls and staff will be with the Jets beyond this year. If I were a FA looking for the next place to move my family and settle down, I would not want to go to a place where there may be a new head coach after the year with an entirely new staff, etc. Makes it difficult to know what you're signing up for.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mac is approaching Idzik level ineptness....We cant even land a franchise QB in free agency with the most cap space in the NFL...

HomeoftheJets, 94Abraham and Jets69 like this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Debatable that Cousins is a franchise QB.

Also if a SB contender offers a ton of money that's near what the Jets could offer, would you go to the better team or the Jets?

NYJetsO12 and Poeman like this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

uhhhhhh? :confused:

FJF and JetBlue like this.
  11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

There not really a SB Contender....if they thought they were they would have resigned Keenum and kept the money.A Hail Mairy and poor tackle were the only reason the Saints didnt beat them.Rodgers was on IR im willing to predict they miss the playoffs next year...or get in as a wildcard at 9-7..

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The only players the Jets can possibly get right now are those looking for their final big payday. Since Mac has a chain around the wallet, these players aren't coming here either.

The Jets have no choice but to build with the draft.

Draft a player and ultimately succumb them to football purgatory.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I was referring to the times where we were able to acquire these kind of players based on the money alone.....one could argue that we were a good team when we added LT....

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think the real issue is Mac makes up a number that he thinks a player is worth and won’t budge from that number even though other teams are willing to blow it away. The Jets in their current state need to outbid other teams and Mac seems unwilling to do that.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You could argue that they were a good team when all were added really.... and Favre was aquired by trade, and Curtis was aquired with giving up draft picks for a RFA

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I was under the mistaken impression that the Jets need to spend at least 89.5% of the cap this year, but it's actually over a four-year period that doesn't end until 2020. What that means is that there is actually very little pressure on Macc to spend money this year. Now that Cousins crapped out I expect the Jets to do very little, since players won't come here unless they're overpaid and the Jets don't look like they're going to be overpaying people.

Cman68 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Remember the Browns last year? They had all that money but no big ticket guy went there. Eventually they had to change the regime and bring in a competent GM. I feel like Jets are seeing the same snub from players. I hate to say this but if Browns pick the right QB and bring in a few solid FA's Jets will be the new Browns unless Jets also land a franchise QB in the draft.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We can't sign the best FAs because the Jets aren't allowed to have "nice" things.

NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This was always the problem with fans who were screaming to sign Cousins and the other big FAs: Why would they want to come here? Athletes want to win. Sure, they want to get paid, but do you really think there's anything they can't buy with the money they DO take that they could with the money the Jets throw at them? What's the difference in purchasing power between $28 million and 30 or even 35 million? Add in the frustration and disgust when you look in the mirror and realize you could've played for a championship but instead are getting your brains beat out on a losing team. The Jets aren't the Yankees, with a long and glorious history that make players want to wear the team colors - and nowadays, a lot of baseball players don't care about that either. The ONLY reason good players would want to play for the Jets is because they believe they could win a championship in the next year or two. If you think the Jets are in that situation you really are a fan - as in FANatic, delusional.

The only way to build the Jets into a SB contender is through the draft, and having a competent GM/HC. What sucks is that we don't have the competent GMHC. And deep down those who were praying for the quick fix of FA know that because that's why they wanted good players who are already developed, because they know that Macc can't find them in the draft, and Bowles can't coach them up.

I agree that signing Cousins was the best of not very good options, but that bus has left town. Now we'll see once and for all what Macc and Bowles are made of. I think they will fail, but I truly hope they don't. But if they do fail, I sure hope the Johnsons cancel that extension and hire some knowledgeable football people with an understanding of how to build a winner.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The media is full of ****!

They ballwash this guy MacCagnan "the football guy" because he has the Jets "on the right track" and "we're doing things the right way" now meanwhile we've gone 5-11 back-to-back seasons and seemingly no one wants to come here because they're not impressed with the cr@ppy job he's doing here.