Trading up for QB is looking like a necessity.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Would you trade up in the draft for...

1. Rosen

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Darnold

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Mayfield

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. Allen

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Hope one falls to 6

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I'm starting to believe that if the Jets lose out on Cousins to the Vikings (I think the favorite at this point), the Jets may be in a situation where they have to trade up in order to get THE QB they believe is the best.

If the Vikings land Cousins, that leaves the Browns, Giants, and Broncos all in need of a QB ahead of the Jets. This is not including teams like the Bills, Dolphins, and Cardinals who all could be aggressive like we have seen in recent years in trading up to get their guy.

I think that shortly after losing out on the Cousins sweepstakes, I think the Jets need to be ultra aggressive to make the jump to either 1st overall or 3rd overall.

If you are opposed to the idea of trading up, I’d love to hear your rationale. For people who want to pull the trigger on the trade, share who you move for.

I would be in favor of a trade up for Rosen or Mayfield.

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

None of the qbs are a sure thing by any stretch, and imo, the order of the top 5 changes by the day. Granted this is just my own opinion, so staying at 6 makes sense, because we don't want to mortgage the future for a question mark qb. As of right now, my order is 1. Darnold. 2. Rosen. 3. Mayfield. 4. Jackson. 5. Allen.

BomberJet and tbruner12 like this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Depends on how closely they have each of the QBs rated. If they are all bunched together then they can sit tight and take whichever shakes free at 6. If they have clear favorites then they should do what it takes to go up and get him.

Obviously staying put is preferable as we need as many pics as possible and I’m pretty confident that one of the QBs will be available at 6. Not opposed to going up to get one though if Mac has a preference.

Right now my ratings are

1A Darnold
    1B Rosen
    1C Mayfield
    2 Allen
    3 Jackson

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am starting to warm up to Mayfield but I am not liking this QB class. There is so much talent at other positions of need that even reaching for a QB at # 6 has bad idea written all over it.

I would hate to miss out next year because we have to give (insert bum drafted in top 6) a chance.

If we move down to 10 or 12 and Mayfield falls that far I might want him depending on who else is still on the board.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m definitely not trading up for Rosen after that combine performance. If he falls maybe consider taking him but definitely not trading up.

Allen, Darnold or Mayfield are the only ones I’d consider moving up for. And Mac would need to be in LOVE to do so because they each have flaws.

I’m one who believes if you love a guy go and do it but if you only like him take who falls to you because we have so many holes to fill and we will need those picks to help fill them.

BacktoQueens, nicg4360 and westiedog1 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

On one hand, none of these QBs is really worth trading up for. OTOH, however, the Jets have to get the QB that they think will best fit their system and who will give them some hope/potential for the future. I think they may have to trade up somewhere between #2 and #4. I don't think that they need to trade up to #1. That would cost too much. Ultimately, I think it all depends if they think there are just 1 or 2 QBs that they really like, or if there are several. For instance, if they would be equally happy with one of Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson, Darnold or even Allen, they can stay put at #6 and not have to trade up. If there are only 1 or 2 QBs they like then they need to trade up as high as they can and hope that he/they don't get taken before their pick. I am certain that any trade up deal would be conditional on the QB they want still being there at that pick.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If we miss out on Cousins I'd sign Keenum and draft one of the young guns at #6... I'm still leaning towards Mayfield but Allen really intrigues me.

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've stated many times that I like Mayfield, but I would be happy if the Jets took any one of the top 6. However, I can't imagine the Jet decision makers thinking the same way I do as a fan. If they did, they should all be ridden out of town on Amtrak. I realize many of us think that should already have happened, but right now they've got the job to make that decision. If they've decided to go QB in the first round (and I hope they have) then they must have a preference for one of them. One and only one of these guys will best fit the offensive scheme they want to run, and if that's the case, they should do whatever it takes to get that guy and not just take the leftovers.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Speaking from the Jets POV, not my own, If the Jets believe one of these guys can be their FQB for 10-15 years, whatever it costs is worth it. But if they're not sure, they should wait and see what's there at 6, and even consider trading back if the right guy isn't available.

That said, I have major doubts that Macc & Bowles really know how to evaluate QBs and what they're looking for. What's the system they want to run? Is there a QB that can run it?

Speaking for myself, I hope they do what it takes to get Rosen or Mayfield.

EDIT: If Rosen or Mayfield weren't available, and Barkley was, I would trade up for him and look for the QB later.

#9 ColoradoContrails, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    BomberJet likes this.
  10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Barkley looked ridiculous. Ladanian Tomlinson/Barry Sanders type of talent. I think Cleveland just has to take him. They need a QB but to pass on that. They need a face of the franchise and he could impact their team immediately. I'd say the best option is trading to number 3. With Barkley gone and probably 1 QB off the board you have a very good choice of the rest of them. I think the Jets should be figuring it out right now what they are willing to give up to move 3 spots up. Probably won't be a huge amount of pics ...#1 would just hamstring them and not allow them to build around the QB as much.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Personally, if I'm the Jets, I'm reaching out to the Colts or Browns for their #4. They wouldn't have to give up the farm to get to the #3 or 4, and it would guarantee one of Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen. Barkley will be in the top 3 for sure, so the #4 would be the most logical in terms of the cost.

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think trades like this are very attractive for teams vs a team like the bills who have two 20's As an example trading down from 3 or 4 to 6 your still getting a top 5 talent with a 2nd pick just outside of the first round. I think it's very realistic.
    It may take a bit more but you get the picture lol.

KurtTheJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Did I see someone in here say they changed their opinion on a top QB because of like 2 bad throws in shorts at the combine?

Lol.

TonyFtLaud, NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  14. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

We need to trade down as we are still building through the draft after purging the roster. We have too many needs and in no way should we be reaching for one of these Qb's by mortgaging the future.

The 2 best players by far are Barkley and Chubb and after that there is a drop in talent. I would prefer to take a chance with one of the 2nd tier Qb's.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

But with $100m in cap we can fill a lot of holes. A 2nd tier QB has done us no good since we drafted Clemens in 2006. Probably even before that. This team was much more competitive and more exciting to watch when we moved up for Sanchez. The same will be true if we stand pat at #6 or move up and roll the dice on a potential FQB.

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

You forgot Fitzpatrick.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lol bro wat does that even mean? Sanchez sucked

18. footballfundamentals

I am saying the bust rate is very high with this group of Qb's. I would maybe trade for Foles or sign an experienced Qb and draft a White in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop.

My thoughts are to develop a core group like the Titans or Jaguars through the draft and then fill in through free agency.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. footballfundamentals

We will see after the combine.

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

That you really only have a chance if you attempt to get a FQB at the top of the draft. That it makes the team more exciting to watch from the outset. That it is more viable than drafting 2nd tier QBs.