What QB do we draft now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who do we draft at QB?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Allen

10.6%
  2. Mayfield

33.3%
  3. Darnold

13.6%
  4. Rosen

28.8%
  5. Jackson

3.0%
  6. Rudolph (after round 1)

3.0%
  7. Falk (after round 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (after round 1)

6.1%
  9. No one

1.5%
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If Cousins is off the table, what QB would you want to draft if any?

Brook! likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we stay at 6, literally anyone but Allen. If Allen is the only QB left of the top 4, trade back or take Chubb/Barkley/Fitz. He is horrendous, the most obvious massive bust I've seen projected to go top 10 since... I don't even know when.

Big Cat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

IMO Darnold is the best QB in the class. If we can trade up for him I'd do it. The problem is if Cousins goes to Minny, we could easily be stuck with Josh Allen at 6. I'd hope another team falls in love with him, and we can swap with them for a 2019 first rounder and additional picks.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield are all gone by 6 (And assuming the Jets can't/won't trade up), I would look at Falk later or Ferguson or White, while resigning McCown to teach them.

5. BacktoQueens

I'd be ok with Allen, Mayfield, Darnold in that order......but Rosen would be a disaster for this team.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's clear we're on opposite poles on this, but I think Rosen is EXACTLY the tonic for this team.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. I am taking this to Draft Forum if you don't mind. I know it is a fluid discussion about QB's but still. Let's talk draft QB's in the draft forum.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

Why are you ok with Darnold but not Allen?
    They are both projects, and similar in many way. While I like Darnold he also has mechanical issues. He reminds me a lot of Eli in terms of play and being soft spoken, and I think is the guy the Giants want.
    Both guys would do well to work with a vet like McCown (or Eli) imo, and not be thrust right into a starting role.

9. HomeoftheJets

Darnold can throw the ball on target.

ColoradoContrails and abc like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's a pretttttty clear difference between Darnold and Allen. Both are projects... one has shown he can play football in the last two years, the other keeps finding ways to show he can't.

abc likes this.
  11. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I voted other bc I would double dip, one in rd 1 and Kyle Lauletta later on.
    I have no clue how the top 5 picks will pan out, and variably if Cousins goes to Min we get screwed in a sense. I personally wouldn't trade up for any of the QBs, just let one of the "top 4" fall to us. (if none of them do then we are getting either Saquon or Chubb so i wouldn't be too upset with that).
    But as of now, I don't think any QB has solidified the QB1 position in this draft so I'd let the draft play out for us.

12. BacktoQueens

Darnold was very very inconsistent.
    He didn't look too on target in his bowl game. After watching that game, it was clear to me he shouldn't start immediately wherever he is drafted.
    Main question is do you tinker with that throwing motion or leave it as is?

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  13. BacktoQueens

I agree on not trading up, and maybe even double dipping.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

Darnold had a bad bowl game. Allen plays like that every game. I'd like to see him shorten up his motion but I'd really have to learn why he throws that way, which I could only get by talking to/working with him. But at least it's encouraging that he can complete passes despite bad mechanics. Interestingly, the tennis player Novak Djokovic had Darnold's problem on his serve, and he fixed it.

15. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I selected other, purely because we're probably out of the Rosen and Darnold sweepstakes and I'm not a fan of trading the farm to get them. If either of them fall, awesome! Otherwise, grab someone a bit later like Mike White or Falk and see what they can do.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Trade back up and take Lamar
    Nelson or Chubb at 6
    Lamar Jackson at 25ish
    Penny in the 3rd
    Get it done mac

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Your way to high and possibly drunk...

Allen is going to be an absolute stud and if we pass on him we will regret it for 2 decades like we did with Marino

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Gotta help his throwing motion no doubt. The same way they did with Aaron Rodgers. When he came out of Cal he held the ball up all high and weird. Then they fixed it over the years and now we are watching one of the best of all time.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rodgers had worse mechanics IMO:

Darnold will be much better coming out, but he wont reach where Rodgers is now unless he really fixes some things and perfects it. I don't know if I tinker with it too much, just try and get him to get rid of some of that windup. Quicker release, but I don't want to retool how he throws completely. If you can tighten that up a little bit, you got yourself a true star at the position. He will still be solid, but he could become Big Ben / Luck like.

Sorry bud, but Mac cannot afford to take Josh Allen in this draft unless he falls drastically. Too much of a risk and he can't make any simple throws, you go back and look at his tape ... all super hard throws, but where are the bread and butter throws?

Back to topic:

If I can only give up 1 of my 2nd rounders, a 4th and a 5 next season, I'll move up and take either Rosen or Darnold. This would be to move up to the 3rd pick in the draft. Browns won't take a QB at 1 and will take Mayfield at 4.

If that scenario does not happen, I'll just take Lamar at 6, it's a little bit of a reach, but the upside is just too great to pass up. This is with me thinking he has a solid combine in terms of throwing the football and pro days. If this happens, he won't drop to the mid 20s. Too many teams like the Cardinals, Bills, Steelers could be in play. I will also resign McCown to compete and mentor Jackson. I think he already wants to do so:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ckson-josh-mccown-disagrees-with-bill-polian/

In my mind, I think McCown wants to come back, help Jackson and be the eventual QB coach. I will sign up for that, I don't mind starting McCown for about 4 games or so.

Oh and grab another QB late too, maybe Lauretta in the later rounds?

NoodleArm and FJF like this.
  20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen in that order.

CotcheryFan and HomeoftheJets like this.