Article: Saquon Barkley would like to play for the Jets, the team he grew up rooting for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NoodleArm, Feb 23, 2018.

1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

https://www.newsday.com/sports/foot...ts-the-team-he-grew-up-rooting-for-1.16921446

Le’Veon Bell may not to want to “run with the Jets,” but Penn State running back Saquon Barkley would be cool with doing so.

Barkley told the Sporting News while growing up in the Bronx, his favorite team was the Jets.

“Curtis Martin, I’m a Jets fan growing up, I’m still a Jets fan,” Barkley told the Sporting News while mentioning the Hall of Fame running back. “Come draft day, all that goes out the window. It would be great for me to be able to play for the team I grew up liking, obviously New York is close to home and would be a great position for me.”

Barkley’s family moved to Pennsylvania when he was in elementary school but he still has ties to New York. His famous uncle, boxer Iran Barkley, is a Bronx native.

The Jets have the No. 6 overall pick in the April draft and are in the market for a running back. There are questions if the Jets want to use the sixth pick on Barkley given the team’s current quarterback needs. He also may not be on the board by the time the Jets are on the clock.

Barkley is considered one of the top running backs in this draft. Last season he rushed 217 times for 1,271 yards with 18 touchdowns for Penn State.

“Whatever team decides to draft me,” Barkley said, “that’s a blessing.”

--------

This is exactly the kind of player that Mac needs to get. A revamped line, Barkley, and Cousins/Rookie/Vet would be a great start for the rebuild!

@Mods: Feel free to move to the draft section if this fits better there.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Damn, that is cool he is a Jets fan. I think the Jets are in a bad spot to draft him though. They either have to go QB at 6 or if they sign Cousins, Barkley is likely off the board at 3 or even sooner. Doubt they trade up for a RB with all their needs. I'd love to have him, of course.

3. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Crazier things have happened. With the Jets' luck, they'll sign Cousins and, at 6, Barkley won't be available but Rosen will be on the board.

(As I'm typing this, I'm realizing it's not really a bad thing, as it would increase the value of trading the pick. But it could backfire if Cousins declines into O'Donnell and Rosen goes on to be Rogers. Which is how things typically go for the Jets and their fans.)

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Cousins signs here I will be rooting like crazy to select Barkley. I think at this point it is likely he makes it to 6, we just need to sign a Cousins to make this dream a reality.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Barkley on the Jets would be so fun. Give us Lamar Jackson with second pick and have a fun future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

but can he throw the half back pass like Curtis? I watched a few cutups of Barkley, he's got a little bit of Curtis in his game.

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If the Jets sign Cousins and Rosens falls to 6, then the Jets will be able to fleece another team looking to trade up and get him. Add more draft picks = Jets win.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

See, now you’re coming around

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Rosen falls to 6 then something significant is going on with him that isn't public knowledge. The talent is sufficient for a top 3 pick. It'd have to be an extraneous factor that knocks him down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

joe likes this.
  10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I would love Barkley, I just don't think he's there at 6.

The Browns and Giants are obviously huge contenders for his services, Indianapolis as well, and who knows, another team could trade up for him, too. Cleveland and Indianapolis are letting Crowell and Gore walk. The Giants have needed a feature back for a long time. I could even see a team like the Bucs or Raiders move up to grab him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Concussions and allure of the other qbs

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

There's no way he'll get past Cleveland at 4 (w/condition that Giants pass him by) and if he does, their GM Dorsey should be fired.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as no way as far as the draft goes in late February. Browns desperately need secondary help, have a damn good RB already and this draft is loaded at RB. All factors that could lead them to take someone like FItzpatrick at 4 after using the 1st pick on offense.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree, that would be a sick 1 - 2 punch there with Cousins AND Barkley. In order for him to fall to the Jets a few things need to fall just right. It would have to be something like this:

1. Browns - Josh Allen
    2. Giants - Rosen or Darnold
    3. Colts - Chubb
    4. Browns - trade the pick with somebody who drafts whoever is left between Darnold / Rosen)
    5. Denver - Baker Mayfield
    6. Jets - Barkely

It's possible, but I still think the Giants are going to take Barkley at 2 if the Browns don't at 1. I could even see the Browns taking him at 1, just because they know Allen will be available at 4. Barkley's stock seems to be rising and the QB stocks seem to be falling, which sucks if the Jets sign Cousins, but is great if they don't.

I'm confident that whatever the Jets do, the opposite beneficial situation will happen. If they sign Cousins, Rosen will fall to us and that will make me sick. If they don't all 4 QBs will be gone in the top 5, guaranteed.

It would be pretty awesome having a home grown Jet that was actually a fan of the team growing up. That would be a dream come true for him, as well as Jets fans!

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. darnold
    2. rosen
    3. chubb
    4. fitzpatrick
    5. mayfield/allen
    6. barkley
    and i am not sure an o lineman doesn't sneak in there somewhere.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

This draft is loaded with RB talent, I like Barkley, but there are so many 2-4 rd players like
    Penny (SD St)...

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I think: Cousins+Barkley=playoffs

Whether you're a proponent for either player or what it would take to acquire them, I think with the roster "as is" we hit double digit wins and go to the playoffs with those 2 additions.

Sam Hammer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I want him even if we don't get Cousins which is unpopular around here.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

People say this every year about RB's. Sure some of the later round ones payoff but Barkley is a home run. Versatile runner, outstanding field vision, 4.3 speed.