Did the Jets Take Advantage of Turnovers in 2017?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

0 New, 7 comments
    By GangGreeninYonkers@Michael_Nania Feb 12, 2018, 12:00pm EST Share Tweet Share
    tweet share Reddit Pocket Flipboard Email
    [​IMG]Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images
    How good of a job did the Jets do in capitalizing off of opponent turnovers this past season? Let’s dive in.

TURNOVERS FORCED

The Jets recorded 11 interceptions (tied for 20th) and 9 fumble recoveries (tied for 14th), which puts their takeaway total of 20 at 20th in the league.

CAPITALIZATION

Let’s look at all drives that started with either an interception, fumble, blocked punt, or blocked field goal, discounting drives that culminated with the end of a half. The Jets had 19 of those in 2017.

• Did not record a single turnover off of an opponent turnover; one of ten teams.
    • Recorded a score on 9 of 19, a 47.4% rate. That placed them at 26th in the league, with the league average at 56.4%.
    • Scored a touchdown on 5 of 19, a 26.3% rate, placing them 23rd and below the league average of 32.9%.
    • Punted on 9 of 19, a 47.4% rate, the 2nd highest rate in the league above a league average of 27.8%.
    • Averaged 15.7 yards per drive, 2nd fewest in the league (ahead of the Giants).
    How about drives off of turnovers that set them up in opponent territory?

Turnovers are great momentum-swingers, but they don’t always necessarily set the offense up in prime scoring position. Let’s narrow the field down to drives that began off of turnovers on the opponent’s side of the field. The Jets had 9 of those.

• Scored on 8 of 9, an 88.9% rate that placed them 7th in the league, above the league average of 77.7%.
    • Scored a touchdown on 4 of 9, a 44.4% rate that placed them 17th in the league against a league average of 46.8%.
    Clearly, the Jets’ numbers off of turnovers were much better in opponent territory. They did a pretty solid job of capitalizing when the defense put them in prime position. In fact, their only non-scoring drive off a turnover starting in opponent territory was a missed field goal.

One thing that I took away from looking at these numbers is the profound impact turnovers have. Leaguewide, the average drive resulted in a touchdown 19.9% of the time and a score 35.2% of the time. Drives starting with a turnover (the INT, fumble, BLK kick, and BLK punt filter mentioned earlier) resulted in a touchdown 32.9% of the time and a score 56.4% of the time. Sometimes they say the best offense is a good defense, and in football that tends to be true possibly more so than any other sport.

2. Mainejet

The above numbers are absolutely ABYSMAL. This has been the most disappointing factor probably anyone could point to. It also goes back much farther than Blowes. This was a problem that haunted Rex Ryan's tenure here as well. You're looking at a defense that is terrible with this for over 10 years now. The way I see it:

1) The CS does NOT practice stripping the ball from ball carriers. The defense, that I can easily tell, does not try to generate turnovers for the most part. The CS does not teach defenders to jump routes. They stay right where they are supposed to be or get noticed being totally OUT of position and give up big plays.

2) As an obvious result, they do NOT generate turnovers at all.

3) Even if the defense does get a turnover they almost never score with the ball. No great or even inspiring, enthusiasm generating returns, they simply go nowhere and automatically hand the ball back to the offense.

4) Even when the offense gets the ball on a turnover they almost never capitalize on their easy opportunities. That's most likely because the Jets offense is garbage. They are so sorely lacking in talent that it is pathetic.

5) The OC never gets aggressive with his play calling if he gets a free opportunity. The CS is from top to bottom more interested in "preventing loss" than "trying to win". They are all far too conservative for their own good.

All in all, and with all of the factors that I have pointed out, this is just another huge black eye for the Jets defense. Anyone who says Blowes is a defensive coach and he'll quickly perfect the defense does NOT know what they are talking about. He's been here for 3 years altogether and his defenses are still garbage. Has he even had a comparable or higher ranked defense than Rex in any year since he's been in NY? I know the last years defense was ranked like 25th in the league. yet, Mac has invested top pick after top pick on fixing Blowes defense and yet Blowes is never able to make the most of it. Why anyone supports this joke of a HC I will never know. This is probably the biggest reason why he should be fired besides his horrible win/loss record.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

This is the Maine reason. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Also, many turnovers are a result of pressure on the QB. Jets didn't generate a lot of QB pressure last year. They were 28th in the league in sacks. The fewer the sample size, the more likely the numbers are skewered.

tbruner12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. Mainejet

Good point. I never thought of that. But even if they were getting more sacks it wouldn't matter because they hardly ever try to strip the QB. This is something that absolutely must change and quite frankly I'm surprised most of the dingbats on this site are not talking about it much more? If the Jets defense actually got their fingers out of each others a$$es and became more on par with the league average for turnovers you would instantly see this team improve in a big way..........

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Of course they didn’t take advantage of turn overs. A below average offense is below average all the time. Whether they got the ball by punt,turn over or kick off. Why would anyone expect different results because of the way a possession was gained?

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Just curious, how do you know they don't practice trying to strip the ball? I would bet there isn't a single team that doesn't practice stripping the ball. You even brought up strip sack of the QB. Well if you don't get pressure how is that going to happen? If you're trailing most games the opponent is running the ball more, strip sacks are harder when you're not passing.

Macc hasn't used top picks after to pick on defense. 4 in 3 years isn't crazy. You would think Williams, Lee and the S's didn't play well. Or are enough to dominate & lead the league in turnovers.

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree it's harder to strip sack the QB if you don't get near him. I will say this though: if I were a coach, I would want my defensive players to concentrate on getting the sack first. How often have we seen a QB evade an attempt by the defensive player going for the ball, and then slip away and make a play?

8. LF911SC

Agree, hard also when your DE is a lazy dog doing nothing, your other DL is on his way out and playing like crap leaving Williams to get double & triple teamed. Was a real mess

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Mainejet

Well, if they have been it sure as hell doesn't show on the field. It's that lack of results that tends to make you think they don't practice the fundamentals for defense.

This entire post is such jibberish. 4 picks in 3 years??? Do you even follow the Jets draft history? They've been drafting defensive players in the 1st round for over 10 years now. Yet, they have a dingbat for a HC that has the Jets D ranked 25th and the team is 5-11.

And yes, they don't get pressure on the QB. So what are you telling me? I've been talking about the Jets terrible drafting for eons now.

And Mac is just as much to blame as every other GM the Jets have had. Darron Lee sucks. Leo is an OK player. After 3 years in town and Mac drafting 3 linebackers and 2 DL the Jets defense should field some sort of decent pass rush.

10. LF911SC

So all you need to do is coach turnover. Guess every team in the league should be tied for the league lead in TOs otherwise a staff isn't doing their job. It's talent, not coaching, not the HC. That's the simplistic answer for everything, blame Bowles.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. Mainejet

Show me ANY HC with a record of 20-28 and I'll show you a terrible HC. Yes, it is the simplistic answer, and it's also CORRECT.

12. Mainejet

ANYONE who somehow thinks the HC is there to win games. ALL the good HC's in this league get aggressive when they're playing with house money. You get a turnover in the opponents territory and you try to go up top to your burner. Parcells, a GREAT HC, would always get aggressive when he got a turnover. That's how you put the opponent to bed.........

13. FJF

So you think the offense was going to magically perform better off an int than they would had they been kicked to? I don’t really know how to respond to that

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm still amazed at the Jets shocking inability to actually score during a turnover. It's amazing how long it has been since they've picked off a pass and run it back for a score, or picked up a fumble and run it in. I mean really, it's just staggering.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I guess you haven't seen Belichick's record as a HC in the first 3 years. First 3 years with the Browns, 20-28.

6-10
    7-9
    7-9

So I guess you don't know what you are talking about after all.

rikj99, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  16. FJF

^ head shot

17. Mainejet

Foolish post and a lame attempt to explain your ridiculous point of view.

NO, I do not think the offense was going to magically perform better after a turnover. That's ridiculous. But what I do think they should be doing is getting aggressive when they generate a turnover. Once again, if you're playing with house money you bet more, or in this case go for the gusto and attempt to put the opponent out of commission.

18. Mainejet

Bill Bellichick got FIRED for the exact records you speak of. So, YES, Blowes should be FIRED. Perhaps he does work out in another city? WHO CARES? He got his chance in NY and he's TERRIBLE.

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think Hackenburg gets a lot of attention and ire and rightfully so I guess but to me the real singular #1 failure of the Jets over the last several years is all the resources (draft picks) they have poured into their defensive line with fairly mediocre results. As noted above they just don't get the pressure that would justify all those resources and that has had a ripple effect throughout the entire defense and team overall.

Its just simply been a setback... and the results have shown. Hopefully things swing this offseason and we make a few brilliant picks/pickups to get this ship turning in the right direction.

20. FJF

The offense was below average overall. Doesn’t matter if the play call was aggressive or conservative if they could not execute it. So please explain to me why they should have played better off of a turnover vs a pint/kick