Comment on McCown by Manziel

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...nziel_on_baker_mayfie.html#incart_river_index

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I was completely against starting McCown for obvious tank purposes(Yes I am a phony fan like that) but he totally changed my perspective on him after hearing stuff about his leadership. I believe this leading young QB's by example notion is exaggerated but this McCown situation really supported that notion. Now I really won't mind if he comes back to Jets if we don't land Cousins or Foles or another vet QB that is above average. At worst, he will start and give way to the rookie we will select in first round.

nicg4360 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think he's got a future in this league as a coach. Browns wanted him as a QB coach, perhaps we can do the same especially if we resign him this year.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just one thing throws a wrench into your scenario. His name is Bowles, Todd Bowles. Remember him? The HC that only trusts his vets? Unless the HC has a epiphany and decides to play his kids early in the season instead of when the season is over, you're gonna see the 2017 movie one more time. McCown plays until he gets hurt period. Any rookie drafted by the Jets is on a minimum 2 year launch profile barring injury. No matter who they draft in 2018, you won't see him until 2020 unless McCown retires or gets hurt for better or worse. I've learned to live with it.

dogg, hwismer, tomdeb and 6 others like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're lumping in Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen in with Petty and Hackenberg and I'm not sure why. I think if either of those two showed an ounce of ability to be a starting caliber QB, they would have started earlier. You can't blame Bowles for sticking with the vet that all his teammates love and was helping the development of the offense as a whole when his options were two guys that will never start an NFL game unless the guys in front of them go down.

westiedog1, Aero, MoWilkBeast and 2 others like this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well you just pointed out my fear. Bowles and his risk avoiding personality. What you say grandpa is a real threat but this time I think even he knows if he forgets the rookie we will select in first round on the bench he will be given a pink slip if Jets do 5-11 again. I want to believe he learned his lesson.

joe, Jets_Grinch and Cman68 like this.
  7. Cman68

Oh just stop it.. We're not drafting Darnold or Rosen. Mayfield and Allen perhaps will be gone as well by the time we pick. We may even go BPA-D one more time just for the helluva it. This has nothing to do with Petty or Hackenberg. This is about Bowles. We'll see just what the HC that wants to "establish the run" in a pass happy league does with new and better QB talent assuming he knows what that looks like. I'm not holding my breath on Bowles suddenly becoming a 21st century NFL HC anytime soon. Bowles will never be a Offensive Savant...

If it happens that Bowles does give the rookie real playing time? Great. If not, oh well.. Just more of the same Jets we've come to expect. Personally, I'm not expecting anything for at least another 2 years. Zero expectations man. Zero....

8. Cman68

As do we all Brook...

Brook! likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Bowles is shown the door after the 2018 season, we must have an offensive coach be his replacement. Preferably someone who has developed QB's. DeFilippo comes to mind as a possibility. I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but it's fun to dream about now.

10. BroadwayAaron

I'm just giving you the list of top QBs that we are connected to.

I don't exactly trust Bowles, but considering how awful Petty and Hackenberg are, I can't hate on the guy's decision making process this past season. If Petty came in and lit it up, I'd have to start questioning the decision. But he didn't, he came in and laid massive turds left and right. Bowles was not wrong, as hard as that may be for you to accept.

Bottom line: you can't take what happened last year and assume it's what will happen this year for a multitude of reasons.

FJF and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. Cman68

Like perhaps the lousy talent evaluation at the Qb position on draft days 2 years in a row? Same people doing it again in 2018. Maybe they finally get it right, maybe not. We'll see.

#11 Cman68, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    alleycat9 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

13. CotcheryFan

My last response was somehow part of the quote of Cman's post.

14. BroadwayAaron

I didn't say anything about the Jets being good talent evaluators when it comes to drafting QBs. I'm just saying Bowles isn't wrong for sticking with McCown over Petty considering Petty is shit and Hackenberg is whatever is worse than shit.

alleycat9 and nicg4360 like this.
  15. Cman68

Not sure where you land on our esteemed age tree, but if you're near the top like I am, you learn to temper your expectations and just let things play out. We at the top have already seen our SB. I feel bad for you youngins and wish you all well in your long and arduous journey down JetFan Lane.

dogg, RPOZ51, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

If we sign Cousins, would you really be mad going BPA-D?

17. Cman68

We're talking 2018 now. Nothing we can do about Petty, Hackenberg or Sanchez for that matter. Mac is gonna have to roll the dice, put on his big boy pants and draft a f'n Qb that can play this time. Bowles will just have to suck it unless we sign a Cousins in FA.

KurtTheJetsFan and nicg4360 like this.
  18. Cman68

Not at all, Just don't want to hear about cap hell down the road if we guarantee too much money. Macc isn't exactly a wizard when it comes to FA contracts. He tends to get a lil bit too happy sometimes.

19. CotcheryFan

Considering the fact that we have needs at RB, OL, and maybe WR, I'd certainly wonder if this regime has learned that you need an offense that can score to win in today's NFL.

macbk, ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

It's not a great reason, but the bolded is exactly why I'm ready to toss the checkbook to Cousins the second free agency opens.

Precedent is set for the contract. Yes it's going to be big money, but it's going to be frontloaded which keeps us out of cap hell. That's if they follow the standard set by the Niners and pretty much every team that's given out a big contract to a QB.

Cman68 likes this.