I Used To Think Peyton Manning Was The GOAT........

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah! And they had no surgical thread available so they took the laces out of an old ball and used them!

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. Peyton will always be my favorite QB. Watching him play was an honor. I remember the shootout between him and Chad in 06. One of the best games I have been to. Ironic, because I was also at the 41-0 Jets win over the Colts, but the 06 Colts win was just as fun.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

This thread was a fun read. I've always said about Namath in particular (for those who argue about his HOF worthiness) that any modern day QB wouldn't last a week under the same conditions, including Tom Brady who looks around and cries for a RTF (Roughing The Faggot) call every time somebody breathes on him. I was lucky to have seen Namath play. Despite his immobility, he had such a pure arm. When he was on his game, it really was a thing of beauty.

I'm surprised that no-one brought up Randall Cunningham (unless they did and I missed it), because he absolutely deserves mention. That guy was stupendous and flat out thrilling to watch. I can't believe he didn't get killed. So, not exactly old school, but not modern era, either. He would've put both Manning and Brady in the dust if he had the benefit of playing under today's league rules to be clear, yet he was STILL stupendous. There were quite a few commentators that started comparing Michael Vick to Cunningham (yeah, OK/rolls eyes) before Vick got busted for dog murder and gambling across state lines, but all I had to say then and all I have to say now is Cunningham, Cunningham, Cunningham. What an athlete. As in unreal. I still look at old clips every once in a while and can't believe what I just saw.

I was really surprised that Philadelphia didn't honor him somehow during the latest Cheatie Bowl. Crappy and poor form on the Eagles organization's part, I thought. Sad side note, Cunningham's 2 year old son died in 2010 in a tragic drowning accident in a hot tub in Cunningham's backyard. The weird irony is that Cunningham became an ordained minister, and used that hot tub to baptize people in. Sorry, that would freak me out. Back on point, I hope everyone remembers that ridiculous year Cunningham had with the Vikings. Holy Crap.

^Just a taste for the youngsters . . .

EDIT & P.S.: Oh, screw you, youtube and the NFL. You have to watch it directly. Sorry about that.

EDIT & P.S.S.: Not that my opinion needed to be validated, but apparently I am highly agreed with. :)

#44 jetophile, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. The Dark Knight

Great post. I agree, Cunningham is an underrated QB. Injuries definitely hurt his career, but he was great. He could throw, but also run. Vick on the other hand, could run, but not throw.

6. jetophile

Vick could not punt and was an OK passer.

A lot of folks know this, but I sat out the entire season that Ron Mexico was with the Jets. My dog isn't a vegetarian, and I can win my case with anyone. Fukk that guy. He wasn't making dog pies to feed the homeless.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yeah - Randall Cunningham. Why did he slip my memory road, I don't know.

This is one surreal scene that I remember - I think it was one of these bullshit contest during pro bowl day. They featured 5 QBs, and one of them was Randall Cunningham. I believe Boomer Esiason was there and so was John Elway, but I don't remember the rest.

The contest consisted of various drills - hitting moving target, shooting the ball through the hanging rings, etc etc. Frankly, my memory is fading, and of all contests, I only remember two of them; one was hitting the moving target, and the other was throwing deep.

The contest was won by Randall Cunningham - he showed his arm that day. It just happened that, the contest came down to the last competition, which was throwing deep. And Randall whipped the ball out of his end zone, all the way down to the 25 yards on the other sides of the field. The ball flew some 75 yards+ before hitting the ground. Holy shit. Nobody shot anywhere near that day. I still remember that [JUST WHAT THE HELL??] feeling as I was watching the whole contest unfold. It was awesome.

8. jetophile

Speaking of receivers, Harold Carmichael. Not turning this into an Eagles thing (not a fan of any team but the Jets), but he was damn good. Holy Crap, how tall and skinny was he? He would get demolished today. He also played one year for the Jets. Sheese, how did I even remember that? This is like 3rd grade Social Studies, where you recall weird facts and bizarre countries in the middle of the night 100 years later.

#48 jetophile, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That mimicking the throwing of a flag every time a defender breathes on them is just sickening. Even more sickening, however, is the fact that about half the time a flag follows. I would like to see them introduce an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for any player making that 'flag throwing' gesture. It might be too much of a judgement call to outlaw any lobbying for a flag (I think looking towards the official to see if a flag is coming is fair enough), but this most obvious and distasteful form could be easily stamped out.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd never even considered that, is that true? I knew Joe had several knee surgeries, but I didn't know they couldn't do anything about ACL tears back then. Looking at how Joe hobbled around on the field, that makes a lot of sense. He looked like his knee might give out on him at any moment.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sort of like when soccer players raise their arm and wave it whenever somebody breathes on them. The difference it though that in soccer (mostly) the refs just ignore the players.

But the underlying reason that refs in the NFL are flag happy is that their under a mandate to keep offenses moving, and to keep teams like the Pats in every game. The NFL is the ultimate rigged game, ever since they made the "deal with the devil" of enabling gamblers and ramping up interest from those who have a financial stake in games. Anyone who doesn't believe the NFL is fixed is naive.

12. ColoradoContrails

Getting back to GOAT, I have yet to see anyone who had the amazingly quick release that Namath had. He seemed to be able to bring it back to his ear and then flick on a laser to his receiver. No windup, no big arm swing, just bring it back like stretching a slingshot and then ZING! right to the receiver. As his knees deteriorated, he seemed to become this statue with a slingshot for an arm and that was almost enough by itself to win. If we could only find another Joe Willie!

13. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Arm like Joe Willie, with the throwing mobility and calm under pressure like Joe cool. Wouldn't that be nice?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

That QB might never lose a game!

tbruner12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The only person I've ever seen with a release even remotely close to Namath's (not counting the odd outlier who had a quick release but was otherwise a bad QB) was Marino. I absolutely believe that if Namath had stayed as healthy as Marino did he could have had comparable career passing numbers (but with more interceptions, again based on the completely different style of play). Even only 10 healthy seasons and Namath would have IMO undoubtedly been considered one of the top quarterbacks ever - he was that talented. Unfortunately it was not to be.

16. The Dark Knight

Back in those days, they would throw the ball up for grabs down field and treat interceptions like punts, right? Similar to Nick Foles' only turnover in the Super Bowl. So Namath's INT numbers were higher because of it, right? Or did he just throw a bunch of terrible interceptions?

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Both, but there’s no doubt that the view that an interception was the worst thing a quarterback could do was NOT the ethos then, particularly in the AFL.

As I’ve said many times on this board, IMO Namath ultimately was NOT a great quarterback from a career point of view. His physical limitations made that impossible, and in the last 4 or 5 years of his career he was probably as much of a liability to the team as he was an asset. What is also true is that many of his skills are not important nowadays, the most obvious being his play calling abilities, and he was an amazingly talented passer and a terrific leader.

18. ColoradoContrails

Interceptions aren't ever "good", but they're nowhere near the mortal sin that some think they are today. And you need to factor in the situation: an interception 50 yards downfield isn't nearly as bad as a pick 6. And if you have a great offense (something the Jets never seem to have), mistakes can be compensated for. Look at Brady in the SB: Okay it was a strip/fumble not a pick, but while that would've been the game for most teams, he still brought them back to nearly winning with time running out. That's why finding a true FQB is so important.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. A lot of the time refs miss things or aren't sure, and if the player doesn't complain, they don't throw a flag. I wish they'd call holding on every play if that's what it takes to stop holding. I get sick of seeing that when I watch a game. Often times it is so blatant only a blind man could miss it and the refs will be looking right at the hold and don't even begin to pull their flag unless the player complains.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't recall ever seeing QBs throwing it up for grabs back then like I do now. QBs with tall WRs routinely do that now knowing/thinking that their WR has a chance to make a play on the ball. Memory may be failing me, but I just don't recall seeing Namath, Dawson, Hadl, Lamonica, doing that.

#60 NCJetsfan, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    The Dark Knight likes this.