Can Pederson-Wentz combo be a dynasty?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not that I care about Eagles or anything but wouldn’t it be sweet if Pederson-Wentz combo become the class of NFC East causing Giants miss playoffs year after year?

This superbowl was sweet on both accounts. Last night not only Pats fans slept in misery. Giants fans also died inside.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think pederson-wentz need to win 1 super bowl before we start the dynasty talk.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't know about a dynasty, but they have 22 starters coming back next season, so I'm pretty sure they're going to be big favorites to win the division.

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Dallas isn't going away. But the Eagles as an organization are incredibly well built, intelligent, forward thinking, embrace football's sabermetrics, have great talent. They could do it certainly.

Giants will get their QB of the future but it won't be a sure bet. Gettleman I think will be nothing special. They're in for some rough years. 5-11, 6-10. Cowboys and Eagles are going to own them for a while.

5. Brook!

You are right FJF but I feel like they already won though. Foles wasn’t an upgrade over Wentz. Yes the outcome might have been different but here is what I am looking at.

Wentz puts on a show before getting injured. He was in MVP discussion. He goes down and everybody gives Raiders-Carr example and write the Eagles off. They bring along Foles and first crush a very good Vikings team at home then put 41 points on the Pats. So Pederson in a way shows that it wasn’t only Wentz that made the Eeagles offense a difference maker.

I think both Pederson and Wentz are legit. Will they become a dynasty is my question? I want them do the Giants what Pats did to Jets-Dolphins and Bills. Block their way to playoffs more seasons than not.

6. forevercursed

Damn right.

If not for the injury Wentz may have hit 40 TD's this year. He still has room to grow and improve as well which is scary

Eagles are building something special. This is not going to be a 1 Super Bowl and never hear from them again type team.

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That division is too tough for one team to build a dynasty like New England.

The Giants should be back in 2018, Washington should be better with Alex Smith at QB. I can see Dallas going down a bit they're a older team and I'm not a Prescott fan.

Philly has been one of the top organizations in the sport since the early 2000s so they're not going away. A dynasty like the Pats? No.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

This so much. the fact of the matter is we don't know how Wentz would have performed in the post season. For all we know he could have layed a huge egg. Foles was the qb that won them the game

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  9. forevercursed

The Giants are going to be horrible in 2018. They are lacking talent everywhere and the Cowboys and Eagles are miles better.

Giants have no offensive line. No running game. Beckham is an elite talent with a 10 cent head who wants to get paid. Who knows where that situation ends up. They were spurned by McDaniels and Patricia and had to settle for Shurmur who is nothing special. Their once mighty pass rush is now absolute trash. Secondary is a joke and feuding with each other

Brook!, CotcheryFan and WarriorRB28 like this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They have a top GM now.

They won 11 games in 2016 and were one of the favorites to win it all coming into this past season.

I think they're a quick fix. They'll be back in 2018.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. forevercursed

They don't have a top GM. Opinions on Gettleman are mixed. He's not the youngest guy either. He could just as easily flame out there and wear out his welcome. He's a very abrasive personality

lol at people thinking they were going to win it all in 2017. The Giants as usual were overhyped by the Giant fellating media. 2016 was kind of a flukey year for them. They loaded up on free agents. Had a cupcake schedule. Got a ton of luck winning a bunch of close games. No injuries. Eli Manning was clearly on the decline and they had no line to protect him. Their offense was headed in the wrong direction in 2016 and the D was smoke and mirrors

They play the Cowboys and Eagles 4 times next year so that's 0-4 right there. They also play the Jaguars, Saints, Panthers, and Falcons.

6 wins tops for them. It's no surprise they ended up with a shit coach. Non of the top candidates wants to work with Gettleman

#11 forevercursed, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Can they be a dynasty? Yes. Will they? Remains to be seen. Let's see how Wentz looks coming back a nasty knee injury. Pederson is one heck of a coach. Sure would be nice if our coach had some guts like that. Bowles probably kicks the FG on 4th and goal.

dogg likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Granted on paper they look like it could be something but the reality is this, when the 2018 season starts Carson wentz will be 9 months removed from his acl injury. Will he be ready to play? Doubtful, can foles do what he just did again? Maybe, maybe he is the next Matt Flynn or Ron Johnson, hostetler. Is he even there ? Does philly get an offer they can’t pass up?
    A lot of variables for them and the nfc is pretty tough. Rodgers will be back, brees still playing good, Seattle, rams look up and coming with Goff, cowboys aren’t far off.
    Just think it’s a bit early considering what they are facing to start next season.
    Some one will flame me for doubting foles.

Brook! likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of talk about Pederson's ballsy decisions to go for it on 4th down and stuff and yeah that was great but the biggest thing I was most impressed with is the designs of their plays, more so than decisions and calls made.

Everything in that offense is vertical. The passes are all down the field and the runs are all straight ahead. They don't mess around with any side-to-side nonsense. So much different than other teams which try all game to bait defenses side to side and pick their shots vertically, the Eagles just crank up the pressure on defenses all game. I didn't watch them much all year but I was blown away by it.

They also did a fantastic job with their route designs to get people in single coverage down the field, they taught a class on how to free Alshon Jeffery in the first half.

To Brook's initial question, idk about dynasty because other teams will adjust and there are so much other factors like injuries and contracts, etc to consider, but I do think Pederson will have amazing offenses so quite some time

GQMartin and Brook! like this.
  15. Brook!

Very good points @FJF . Thanks for clarifying your point.

@BrowningNagle - Your post is exactly what I thought about the game. I didn't watch Eagles much and I also missed their Vikings game in NFCCG. Superbowl was a surprise for me. Their route running, their play calling was extremely impressive. Is Pederson the guy behind it or is it their OC? I want the guy behind that at Jets honestly.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

their OC is former Jets Quarterback, albeit briefly and rather poorly, Frank Reich. As to has a bigger role in designing that offense Pederson or Reich, I do not know

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Pederson makes all of the play calls during the game, but apparently the plays themselves come from lots of sources, including some of the ones Chip Kelly introduced when he was there.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

way too soon to say that. not only that but they won the SB without wentz anyway. Plus the eagles are in cap hell and need to shed some weight and won't be able to get any better then they were this year. they are going to lose some good players to get under the cap. even looking to 2019 as it stands now they can only afford to sign their rookies. then by 2020 wentz will be getting a huge payday. in other words the eagles are going to lose talent this year and have nothing but the draft to help them for the next 2-3 years. they won't be able to sign any free agents for a couple of off seasons.

19. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

And let's see how the Eagles players handle success. Dynasties are few and far between for a reason.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Eagles will be the favorite to be the NFC team in the Super Bowl next season. For me they're probably going to be the favorite to win it all. Wentz had to watch another guy take his team to the big game and win it. He's going to have a huge incentive to get there himself.