The Jets have only drafted 3 offensive players in the 1st round in the last 16 years...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

2009: Mark Sanchez
    2006: D’Brick
    2006: Mangold

The next offensive player was Santana Moss in 2001.

We have 0 in the last 8 years...

Yup... you heard it right. We wonder why we do not have a damn clue and why our offensive has been bottom of the barrel? This is the reason.

You need play makers and you need a high scoring offense. It absolutely makes me sick seeing this stat. Having an explosive offense makes the game fun. Instead we would rather shit in our hands and hope for the best.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Consistently drafting defensive players keeps the Jets from being terrible. Hopefully that is not the goal in taking them.

You have to score points to win games and it's only once you have realized that goal that a solid defense really shines.

3. Martin&theJETS

For some reason we have it entirely backward lol.

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

To me, the most fun team to watch after Namath and Maynard's years, in which I was really young, was the Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Wesley Walker, Freeman McNeil, Mickey Schuler team. That was some amazing talent - the NY Sack Exchange wasn't so bad on D either! How did we miss the Super Bowl that year? Thanks, MG!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Dustin Keller too

6. Murrell2878

I don't mind that we haven't drafted a ton of players on offense, I just wish we haven't missed as bad as we have with our premier picks. The 1st and 2nd rounds have been vomit inducing awful

Gholston
    Kyle Wilson
    Ducasse
    Coples
    Hill
    Milliner
    Geno
    Pryor
    Amaro
    Smith (inj)
    Hackenberg

So many missed

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Or you could use the short version: SOJs.

Drafting "D" first for so long and they have failed to build an impregnable defense, unable to shut down the best teams, nor have they won a championship. Smart people might actually consider trying a different approach. Smart people would recognize that the NFL has become offense-oriented, specifically pass-oriented, and focus on acquiring the players to maximize that, starting with a QB, But then we have the Jets who still believe - despite winning their ONLY SB 50 years ago with a great offense (and under-appreciate defense) - that they can make "Ground & Pound" successful.

Honestly, if they took an "O" guy with every pick this year it wouldn't be too much.

#7 ColoradoContrails, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    CotcheryFan, westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Kudos Ten Times Martin...very well said

Your post was LONG overdue

Be prepared for a ton of replies crying for for "oh let's not forget the Defense"...the attitude of D so ingrained here

9. Martin&theJETS

Forgot about him!

10. Murrell2878

Drafting D hasn't been the problem. Missing on nearly every pick had been. Our D would be much better if Wilson, Coples, Milliner and Pryor actually worked out.

Drafting shitty players that didn't work out killed us.

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is so hard to really defend with the current rules. Don't see a lot of 3 point games anymore. Gotta have some offensive tools. Look at the old Green Bay, Steelers defenses. The old "I got this guy, you got that guy" defense. I loved that. I hate schemes and continuous substitution. I also hate the officiating. An aside, I know........

#11 jdon, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Br4d likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Yes, the Jets sure would've been better had those busts worked out, but still, their lack of focus on offense in an offense-driven league is a recipe for failure. Guess what? They're failing.

dogg and CotcheryFan like this.
  13. Murrell2878

Its not like we haven't used key picks to help the offense, we just haven't picked any in Rd 1. We have just sucked at drafting since 2010!

since 2010 we have used 32 picks on Offense and 26 on Defense

In the 2nd Rd we picked 6 offensive players to 1 defensive player (Marcus Maye)
    In the 3rd Rd we picked only 2 offensive players to 5 defensive Players
    In the 4th Rd we picked 7 offensive players to 1 defensive player

15 - 7 in rounds 2 thru 4. We just sucked at drafting. Tannenbaum is equally to blame as is Idzik.

ETA - Adding in the 1st round. Rounds 1 thru 4 were 15 Offensive and 16 Defensive.

Just remember these names (all busts)

Christian Hackenberg
    Devin Smith
    Bryce Petty
    Jace Amaro
    Jalen Saunders
    Shaquelle Evans
    Geno Smith
    Stephen Hill
    Vlad Ducasse
    Joe McKnight

FJF likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Your stats show three things:

1. Offense has been an afterthought.
    2. With defensive-minded HCs, and lousy GMs the Jets have had no clue what to look for.
    3. The Jets have no identity on offense; their only identity is some variation of "ground & pound", a failed philosophy in today's NFL.

I see nothing in Macc (or Bowles) that says this year will be any different. I hope I'm wrong.

15. Murrell2878

I don't agree with your last sentence, but overall the Jets have been a fucking mess for this decade which has set us up for where we are today.

FJF likes this.
  16. Those 80's teams were the best example of the Jets having an identity/prototype & sticking to it in the team's entire existence.

They missed on some skill players in the 1st round of drafts & the OL kept going to shit but nonetheless..that team always seemed 1 or 2 big moves away from being very fierce & at times they were.

I'm so tired of the team going defense & hiding behind Best player available as the reasoning. When an offense is this barren of skill in a league that now MANDATES scoring to have success,it's just unconscionable why we continue down this path.

I don't care how bad the defense needs secondary help & a legit pass rusher. Our offense is pure garbage..it's time to draft offense.

jilozzo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

This!

The point of the draft is not to focus on key positions (QB, LT, etc.) but to get pro bowl talent on the cheap which is impossible to do in free agency (or via trade). If we take the BPA instead of the crap our scouts have been selecting we win games.

With the right talent around them we could easily win a SB with Kirk Cousins, Teddy Bridgewater (if healthy), Case Keenum, Sam Bradford (if healthy), Nick Foles, etc.

One could easily make a case for Phillip Rivers as the best QB in the last two decades but without the right ownership, management, coaching, and supporting staff he has zero SB rings. Even Marino and Shula who have had some pretty good defenses supporting them only had one SB appearance.

FJF likes this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"Even Marino and Shula who have had some pretty good defenses supporting them only had one SB appearance".

to this day marino won't crucify the dolphins front offices during his playing years but he has admitted that the defenses were the teams achilles heal during his time. of course no shit dan. dolphins would draft plenty of high ranked defensive players in the 80's after marino only to have them get injured or just not develop. really is amazing a team can be so set at QB and whiff on so many other positions of importance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. jilozzo

the current mess spans multiple decades.

20. jilozzo

Christian Hackenberg
    Devin Smith
    Bryce Petty
    Jace Amaro
    Jalen Saunders
    Shaquelle Evans
    Geno Smith
    Stephen Hill
    Vlad Ducasse
    Joe McKnight

geez this really is a fucking brutal list. who the fuck is scouting these guys. more importantly why do we as fans tolerate these selections.