Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No way you take an OG at pick #6, especially when you need a QB, a RB, an edge rusher, and a future LT, and there are very good, if not elite prospects at those positions that will probably be available at #6. There are good OG prospects that will be available in the 2nd round and probably the 3rd round as well. Even more importantly, there will be good FA OGs available. THAT is where the Jets should get a new starting OG, NOT with the 6th pick in the draft. SMH

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I agree with your premise, but the reality is that both Chubb and Michel could be drafted in the 1st round, and almost certainly neither will make it to the 3rd round.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

You have a point except for one thing. The difference between Barkley and Guice or Barkley and Michel is not as great as the difference between Chub and whoever the Jets' best pass rusher is. The thing about an elite pass rusher is that they can cause pick 6s, fumbles, and can get your defense off the field, and give the ball back to your offense, often times in very good field position, if not in the opponents end of the field and in scoring position.

njjets93 and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I'll disagree on this one to an extent, Chubb has questions about his speed and ability to pick up sacks at the NFL level, Barkley has no questions about his abilities and he is a guaranteed stud.

I wouldn't draft a guy like Chubb just because there are no other good pass rushers in the class.

Ozymandias and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think that I completely agree with this. However, I think it'll be a moot point, as I cannot see both of them being available at #6.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes a stud pass rusher - assuming Chubb is that - CAN cause pick 6's, fumbles, etc., BUT they don't do it as often as a stud RB like Barkley makes a plus play/scores.

Like I said a few posts ago, if anyone thinks that a Safety was worth the #6 pick, how can you NOT jump on Barkley if he's there? Chubb is highly rated, but I don't think there is anyone, regardless of position, who is rated highly as Barkley. That said, if they haven't gotten their QB yet, and one of the top 3 are still there, I think I would have to take the QB, but in all honesty, if there was a "Tier 2 QB" that I liked a lot - like Falk, or Jackson, or Riley - I might well take Barkley first and then try to trade back up and get the QB second.

7. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't draft him just because there are no other good pass rushers in the class if that were true, but it isn't.

8. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I mean it's an average pass rushing class from what I've read, with some guys like Davenport and the like jumping up boards.

barkley is a virtual lock to be an all pro, I would be shocked if he wasn't. Chubb could easily be an all pro as well, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he busted

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Barkley is a home run threat on every play and a great receiver

10. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm sure the scouts are telling him what their respective team's plans are.

Leicester Jet, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm sure of it. this is how stock "rises and falls" pundits find out from the scouts where they were wrong and start adjusting.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I didn't know Barkley was a huge Curtis Martin fan ... shit thats pretty awesome

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Remember all the hype around Myles Garrett last year? How many sacks did he record?.....7 (2 against the Jets.) That's not to say he won't be good, but he is not a transformational player by any means, as evidenced by the Browns record of 0-16. No pass rusher is going to move the Jets from 5-11 to a winning record by himself.

15. NCJetsfan

Very interesting. I'll look forward to seeing how accurate that is. I would be very surprised if he fell out of the top 10 and some last minute bad news hadn't circulated about him. If he does, I think it would be more a statement about the number of very good RBs that are in this draft, and that the NFL is a passing league, rather than a statement about what the teams think of Barkley's talent.

16. NCJetsfan

Then there's that. Teams always lie. A lot of teams may be hoping he falls to them, so they're downplaying where they think he will be drafted to the media trying to help him fall.

CotcheryFan and Red Menace like this.
  17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

a RB has not been taken 1 overall since '95, while it's still really early I think it's unlikely he makes it to 6.

We'll see how FA goes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Of course we haven't talked to him. He's an offensive player.

matt robinson 17 and mattyd99 like this.
  19. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Can't see Barkley getting past 4. Giants, Colts, and the Browns could all use a threat like him. He's better than Fournette, might be better than Zeke who both went in that range. Don't get me wrong he's the player this team has needed for it's entire existence but I just don't see him slipping to 6.

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Barkley grew up a Jets fan so it makes sense.

101GangGreen101 likes this.