Screw it, the Jets need to make the trade for the 3rd overall pick, no risk, no reward

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Deathstroke, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Reports are that the Colts, smartly, are open to trading the 3rd overall pick since they already have a QB, for the best offer.

If I'm Macc Daddy then I'm all over that, but so might the Broncos and a couple of other teams. Point being here is that we need to take some risks and try and get the guy we want instead of the guy that falls to us.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That would be a great move IF Macc could pull it off. Not so sure Macc has that kinda mindset. That pick, or the #4 is the sweet spot. Denver isn't gonna move off the 5th.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Welcome Deathstroke ! and your first post is an absolute Winner

"Losers let it happen ...winners make it happen"...

Lucky People take LOTS of ACTION ... ...try things even if you FAIL

Create certainty by moving forward rather than sitting still

Mac CANT sit at 6 ...we have NO future to mortgage if no FQB on board...so at least 5 picks to Indy should do it

Goal :: Rosen or Mayfield SECURED

#3 NYJetsO12, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I would at least call David Gettleman. What's the risk in asking what it would take to move 4 spots from 6 to 2? Maybe he wants more picks and has his eye on somebody else besides Rosen and Darnold. You never know until you ask...

5. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Who ya hoping for with that 3rd pick? Rosen and Darnold likely to be gone. After that, I don't like any of these QB's even with the 6th pick. I think Allen is totally overrated by scouts and I just don't get why people are saying he's the next Carson Wentz. Mayfield has the production but IMO is just too small. I know the comparisons to Drew Brees but I think Brees and Wilson are pretty rare.

I like the idea of trading up to a low first rounder and taking someone like a Luke Falk or Mason Rudolph.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Depends how much it would take to move up - this team needs a lot more than just a Q/B. An O/Line that could protect him would help.

NYJFOREVER, dogg and FJF like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think they stand Pat st 6. Btw I'm all in on Mayfield and I think he's there at 6.

Jets_Grinch and Leicester Jet like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No way I make that trade right now. Call make the frame work and see what the browns do at 1. If the go any way other than Sam or Rosen then maybe , depending on the price.
    Not trading up for what maybe the 4th best qb in the draft.

TonyFtLaud and Leicester Jet like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think you're wrong about Mayfield. He has that drive, that competitive spirit, and the "it" factor in spades.

Drafting Falk in the 1st round, even bottom of the 1st round, would be a HUGE reach imo.

egelband likes this.
  10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mac is going to have to channel his inner Ditka to get Rosen or Darnold.

#10 playtowinthegame, Jan 27, 2018
    NYJFOREVER, KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Personally I'm trying to trade with either the Giants or the Colts.

Pat Shurmur was on Sirius NFL yesterday and he kept going on about how he won't accept poor play from his offensive line. He's making it pretty clear this is a huge priority to him. If Gettleman is on board with this way of thinking, and O-Line becomes the Giants priority (it should be a priority certainly) then they can safely move back to the range we're in and get the guy they are targeting. Being that they are both new to the team, we have no idea at this point what their attitude will be towards their next door neighbors.

Anyway, the last 5 offensive first round picks the Jets have made: Mark Sanchez, Dustin Keller, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and Santana Moss. The Jets need to have an offensive awakening. The Jets have the 6th pick AND several QBs available who are arguably worth being picked in this vicinity. But it isn't enough to just be passive and let the player who could potentially lock down the most important single position on the roster simply fall to you, simply because the teams above you were nice enough to let them pass (Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg). This isn't the same as Williams and Adams; if anyone believes that a QB is that sound, they won't let them fall.

I think the Jets need to identify the right quarterback, and move heaven and earth to get the guy they want. Sure, Bradley Chubb would be a nice addition to the defense, but then we're stuck still spinning our wheels with a mediocre offense. You need a very good defense to be competitive but you also need balance; the ability to score.The Jets have been allowing themselves to be mired in mediocrity long enough.

Now is the time to strike. Time to turn this ship around.

#11 xxedge72x, Jan 27, 2018
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that I would truly hate to lose those two 2nd round picks and our first next year, but if Mayfield turns out to be as good as I think he will, the price will have been worth it. Mayfield may fall, but I don't think he'll fall past Denver.

As for the OL, I agree that it needs to be fixed, but the great news is that it can in FA. The Jets can sign Andrew Norwell if he hits FA and that would fix the LG spot. If Norwell doesn't become a FA, re-signs with the Panthers, or doesn't want to sign with the Jets, there's Senio Kelemete (27) of the Saints, and Xavier Sua'Filo (27) of the Texans. The Cowboys only have a little over $18 million cap space, and DeMarcus Lawrence will probably take up most of that. Cowboys OL Joe Looney will probably be a FA. He was their backup C and RG. The Chiefs' Zach Fulton (26), listed as an OG, but shown on KC's depth chart as their starting center could also be a FA. Spotrac lists 17 potential FA OGs who are 27 and younger. Surely some of them will be available, better than Carpenter, and fit our zone blocking scheme.

Potential FA centers who were starters for their teams include Ryan Jensen of the Ravens and Weston Richburg of the Giants (both 26), Corey LInsley (26) of the Packers, Russell Bodine of the Bengals (25) or Travis Swanson of the Lions (26). Brian Schwenke (27) was the Titans backup C. The Redskins former starting C is Spencer Long (27). He was on IR in 2017 and they have 3 other centers on the roster. Long may be available, or they may re-sign him and cut one or two of the others. Luke Bowanko (26) was the Ravens backup C. I have no idea if he would be an upgrade over Wesley Johnson. I think there's a very good chance that the Jets could sign one of them to be their new starter, and possibly Bowanko to back up/compete with the starter, or one of the Redskins centers (they aren't gonna keep 4).

At RT, I'd love to add Adrian Waddle of the Patriots, but doubt he'll reach FA, and even if does, don't think he would ever agree to sign with the Jets. He'd just use us to drive up his contract with whomever he signed.

At RT there are several players who could be available (7 who are 27 or younger). The Ravens' James Hurst, the Rams' Cornelius Lucas, the Cardinals’ Earl Watford, the Bills’ Seantrel Henderson, or the Chargers’ Michael Schofield could be available, and I hope that one of them will be signed either as the starter or to compete with/push Shell at RT. Hurst and Schofield can also play OG. Lucas and Henderson can also play the LT spot. If we cut Ijalana, we will need a backup at LT, so it would probably make more sense to sign either Lucas or Henderson. The Rams have $43.5 million in cap space, so should be able to re-sign Lucas. Unless we just blew him away with a lot more money than the Rams and getting paid more was more important to him than winning, I can't imagine why he'd leave the Rams to come to the Jets. Certainly there must be one the Jets can sign who will push or beat our Shell at RT, or at least be better than Qvale.

If Mac makes it a priority, the Jets could come out of FA with at least 2, if not 3, new starters on the OL and could possibly upgrade depth as well.

#12 NCJetsfan, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    NoodleArm, egelband, donkey and 5 others like this.
  13. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

That's exactly why this is the year to trade up - we have 100 million in cap space to fill holes! Geez, I'm just shocked at why anyone wouldn't want one of these QBs when we haven't had our own FQB in forever and it's by far the most important position of the field.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm beginning to think that Indy might stay put and take a QB if the right guy drops to 3 for them. Andrew Luck hasn't played a full season since 2014 and there is no set timetable for his return from the chronic shoulder injury that shut him down last year.

The Colts team identity is based around having a hyped star QB and has been since they drafted Peyton Manning. I'm thinking Irsay might draft the QB and let him sit behind Luck (if healthy) or move on like the Colts did from Peyton Manning if not.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

We'll see. I think that we may see some guys not on the radar rise up after Senior Bowl and then again after Combine. I want to believe in Mayfield but I can't get past the fact that he is 6' 0".

boozer32 likes this.
  16. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Only problem is at their spot the Colts probably arent getting a hyped start QB. The only 2 are Darnold and Rosen and they very well could be gone by the time they pick. No matter how much someone may like a Mayfield or an Allen, they arent that type of hyped QB, especially coming from Peyton and Luck

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I dont love Allen but would take him over Falk or especially Rudolph every time.

18. Br4d

I think it is very likely that one of Darnold and Rosen slip to the 3. I think it is possible that both do.

The Browns are drafting #1 and they have a way of getting less value out of the pick than they should.

The Giants are #2 and it seems likely they will take one of Rosen and Darnold but they might fall in love with another guy, even a non-QB, and take him instead. Having Eli Manning and Davis Webb in-house gives them reasonable doubt on a QB pick on the #2. They also have the #34 pick which is a prime pick to take the QB who fell out of the 1st round.

Even with Indy possibly taking a QB I sit at 6 and wait it out. It's too easy to spend a ton of value to get the guy who would drop to 6 for you anyway, especially in a volatile environment in which the top 4 prospects all have some things going against them.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

All good information. The only problem is that we have several people on the OL that have dead money contracts. I’m pretty sure we have to hold onto Beachum, Carpenter, and Winters. C and RT are open but we have an investment in Shell.

What we do will be interesting.

Beachum is due to make $9.5m this year and has a dead money hit of $7m. He can be cut in 2019 when he has a $1.5m dead money hit.

Carpenter is due to make $6.8m, but can be cut for a dead money hit of $2.1m. He’s a free agent in 2019.

Winters is due to make $7m and it’s fully guaranteed. He would cost $7m in dead money to cut him. He can be cut with $0 in dead money in 2019.

Ben Ijalana, as a back up, is due to make $5.9m and has a dead money hit of $1.2m. $6m is a lot for a back up. I could see us cutting him and maybe bringing back at a cheaper deal.

So it looks like at least LT and RG are going to stay the same. I can also see Shell holding down RT. He’s a cheap and decent option. C is most definitely up for grabs. We really need a stud there.

Carpenter is my least favorite starter. I used to really like him, but his play has definitely fallen off. Do we pay him $6.8m to start or ride the bench? $6.8m is a lot for a back up. Do we outright cut him and eat the $2.1m?

I thought Beachum played well, but he isn’t a long term answer. Ideally we need at least 3 quality OL. I can’t see us signing a LT. We have Beachum and Ben. Drafting one is the most likely scenario.

We need to address LG and C. Hopefully we can get a stud for each in either FA or the draft.

20. Br4d

LG and C aren't spots you should want to spend big money on. The Jets have generally had a star C since Parcells came to town and the impact hasn't been at the championship level but more at the competent team level.