Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed. Dez is cooked and costly. I'd spend the resources elsewhere we have a decent enough WR group to work with

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Dez is the right guy but I disagree that our WR/TE group is good enough. I like every guy we have but we need one (1) absolute #1 stud/animal/game breaking talent type guy. Well.... I say "need" but I realize that isn't easy and comes at a cost. Obviously we can scuffle along with what we have and be OK but I really would like to see a big time receiver added.

I remember back to what a difference Santonio Holmes made which was the last guy we really had even close to top level. That guy won a few games all by himself just be being the best guy on the field. One time I think against the Browns I remember in specific.

If we somehow are the team to get Cousins I would be very tempted to blow that #6 pick on one of these stud WR's if they are likely to translate to the Julio Jones/AJ Green level in the NFL. You watch college highlights of Courtland Sutton or Equi St. Brown and then watch college highlights of Robby Anderson and you'll see what I'm talking about. Robby makes nice catches and then gets tackled or goes out of bounds.... and that's fine. Those other guys just absolutely shred and destroy the defense they are playing against. Rip the ball out of the defenders hands, then run his ass over for good measure. THAT is what we need.... an animal.

In my mind the other tempting reason to go that route is that WR's usually take a year or more to develop and start hitting on all cylinders. Whatever QB we got also will likely need a year to hone themselves on our system and all that before really hitting their stride also. Might as well co-ordinate that so everybody learns together.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Exactly, this is a deep RB class. Thanks to a injury riddled senior season a guy like Kyle Hicks can be had in probably 6th or 7th round. If we got Cousins, which I'm not for, I would go for a more value position like OT or DE/OLB.

All Gas No Shake and njjets93 like this.
  4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I really like Barkley but I think a quality pass rusher would really have the most impact. Our defense is pretty good now, add a stud pass rusher and maybe a good free agent CB and things would be looking real good.
    Barkley on the other hand would still have to run behind a OL that really struggles.. We could use some of our draft picks to improve the OL and draft a RB in round 2, maybe a Love if he drops or Adams.. As legler said its a pretty deep class at RB.

5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Any quality elite pass rusher we draft would finish with 5-6 sacks max and we all know it

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A "quality pass rusher" MIGHT get 8+ sacks, but how many of those will translate into points> Meanwhile a stud RB will touch the ball 30+ times a game and have a chance to score on some percentage of those touches. And when I say "stud". I mean a game-breaking RB like Barkley, not a "better than average" guy taken in a later round. Sure, Love may be available, and may be a game-breaker, and if the Jets use their first pick on a QB I'd be okay with missing out on Barkley and grabbing a Love, but NOT for a pass rusher.

6-10 once again likes this.
  7. legler82

And we know this how?

8. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Colorado I remember debating Mahomes with you last year. I think you were with me on Mahomes..
    My question is who would have more of an immediate impact a stud pass rusher or quality rb? Remember now that RB has to run behind this OL , we all hope is only a couple of years away from being respectable. If you improve the pass rush remember that will also immediately help the secondary (which is promising but young and developing). The D is not far away from being very good. The O needs a lot more work, especially in the OL.

9. ColoradoContrails

Well I don't disagree that they really need a quality pass rusher, but it's harder to find quality skill-position players on "O". There is even a chance they could sign FA pass rusher, more so than an equivalent quality QB or RB in FA. So IMO, if they have a chance to improve the skill positions - especially QB - they need to address that first.

Now, let's say they sign Cousins or another FA QB with expected high upside (Bridgewater, Keenum...), and Barkely isn't available to them with their 1st pick (he won't last even to #6 IMO), at that point I would agree with taking the best pass rusher available.

10. legler82

We were 19th in rushing. Remove Forte from the rotation and/or upgrade the 1-2 offensive linemen and that position drastically improves. We were 28th in sacks; there's not much you can do other than getting a legit edge rusher. Note I love Barkley but the talent gap between him and the rest of the RB class is a lot narrower than the same gap between other positions. It's just like Adams last year. Yes, he was a very good prospect but how much better was he than Maye, Marcus Williams Eddie Jackson and so on?

11. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Because we are the jets and any defensive pick in the Mac era will underwhelm.

12. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I agree Free Agency could solve a lot of problems. I would sign on to Bridgewater. He was just starting to come on when he got hurt. Cousins on the other hand will be too expensive and I don't think he is worth what it would cost monetarily. Keenum may be a late developer.

I would love to get Barkley but for him to realize his potential with the Jets other problems need to solved first, namely an OL. I really dislike this years QB class as far as first round picks are concerned.. I agree its a big need, but I don't see a solution in this years draft, unless you are willing to let the pick sit for a redshirt year or maybe two...

13. ColoradoContrails

Aside from the raw stats, Barkley has a rep for being a GREAT person and teammate. I don't know anything in that regard about Chubb or Love or any alternatives, but he definitely fits Macc's apparent requirement for high character.

And while upgrading the pass rush would greatly improve the secondary (which is what I argued for last year if they weren't going to take a QB), adding a game-breaking RB would instantly transform the offense. Theirs was ranked 28th this past season, and BTW, the Defense was ranked 25th.

Moreover, I think Macc needs to make a commitment to the Offense, especially in such an offense-rich draft. I'm not saying he WILL do that - in fact, I think he won't - but it would be the best thing to do IMO.

14. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

What? Adams, and Leonard Williams underwhelm? I would take first round picks like that every year.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

who's the last big time wr to win anything?

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well.... I doubt the Falcons make it to the Superbowl last year without Julio Jones. He would have won them the game too if not for them trying to pass for no reason at the end. And that's not exactly his fault. The Jets would have been in good shape to beat them this year too if he hadn't caught that long soul crushing bomb.

If your point is that they don't have the impact that great QB, left tackle etc do I'm not trying to dispute that. But I think on this particular Jets team looking to improve its offensive firepower that'd be an excellent piece to add if they could somehow pull it off.

17. ColoradoContrails

Here's a question for all those who thought - and still think - that taking Adams at #6 was a "no brainer":

If you believe that, do you believe that taking Barkley - perhaps the best overall prospect in this year's draft - at #6 if he falls to us is a smart move?

I ask because I hear so many here say "I would NEVER use a high pick on a RB". How is a Safety more of an impact on a team than a guy who touches the ball 25+ times a game? And when you consider that Barkley may be a generational talent, how can you ignore that?

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I believe that I was one of the ones who didn't want Fournette if he fell to us because RBs are generally not hard to replace. This year I think it's completely different. It seems to be one of the weaker draft classes, and Barkley is generally considered the best prospect, So I wouldn't be opposed to getting him. I think everything just depends upon how the off-season goes. If we get Kirk then yes, I would think Barkley would be in play at 6. If not, then I would assume we would be drafting a QB at 6.
    *however, I think if B. Chubb falls to #6 i think he will end up being the pick

19. ColoradoContrails

Well as I pointed out with the Adams pick, as much as a pass rusher is needed, Barkley is still more valuable IMO. Let's say they take Chubb (or some other pass rusher at 6), and let's say he lives up to his billing and gets 10-12 sacks (which would be very unusual, but let's be optimistic), you can't equate a sack for a touchdown, but even if you could, Barkley is likely to score more TDs than that. And in an offense-emphasized NFL, the Jets need to be able to "score at will"...there is no such thing as a "shut down defense" anymore. Ask the Vikings.

I know a lot of people here - especially the "defense wins championships" crowd - will disagree, but if the Jets have signed their FQB - Cousins? - then getting a generational talent like Barkley is the next best move they can make.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Too bad we can't have our cake and eat it too...but I want a QB 6 ...it's a Universe Changing decision

Barkley a phenom but someone will grab him by Round 5 ..just watch