It's Official. Jets have the 6th pick in the 2018 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Dec 31, 2017.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There's a lot of time left for Allen's stock to rise.

They are letting him play in the Senior bowl. If he can light it up against "real talent" it will put him in a great position to solidify a 1st round pick with a solid combine performance.

BomberJet likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's more then capable he's shown it this year? are you sure your name isn't boozer because you drunk post a lot

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I
    He's more than capable of playing cornerback? LOL. My name represent a great Jet yours represent a footnote and a very bad one. Oh and I looked up game stats for his only season he played before you put him in the Hall of Fame next year. There is no breakdown of him playing cornerback at all. I guess being more than capable means phantom or flat out lying stats. Just never saw that 1/3 safety, 1/3 linebacker, 1/3 cornerback anywhere.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/3115373/jamal-adams

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamaladams/2557979/careerstats

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

I know what it is, but i was making a joke that clearly went over your head. likely because all the drunk posting ;)

you're not very good at google either
    [​IMG]

I'm sure i could find an updated one if i cared to, but you know i actually watched the games and pay attention so it was clear to see. that was only the 1st quarter of the season.

5. boozer32

Yeah I'm pretty good about jokes and knowing when ones directed at me. I guess I better get into rehab and deal with that drunk posting thing. Thanks for the stats update. I went to a few sites and nothing broke it down like that. But then again twitter doesn't show up in google searches.

6. GasedAndConfused

it showed up in mine. PFF is really the only site i'm aware of that tracks things in that detail though. I was just giving you shit though. no offense intended. I assume as jet fans with all the pain we've been though over the decades that we all have pretty thick skin ;) It's easy to be a downer as a jet fan with our history, but i tend to look at things more objectively then the typical "SOJ" fan or the "green colored glasses" fan

boozer32 likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

week 17 adams earned the highest grade on the team

https://www.jetnation.com/2018/01/01/pff-highlights-adams-in-season-ending-loss/

he held gronk to 0 catches for the 1st time in his career, while mostly playing CB on him.

Here is a blurb about his week 1 performance

Rookie first round selection Jamal Adams had a solid debut. While he struggled in the run game with a missed tackle & getting blocked out of plays, he flashed in coverage. Leading the team in coverage grade (81.6), Adams notched a pass breakup, while allowing just 2 receptions for 39 yards across 29 coverage snaps.

he played 29 snaps in coverage and allowed just 2 catches for 39 yards

He literally does everything.

8. boozer32

Not a problem I didn't take offense. You got that downer part right. I may be one of the worst offenders of that but I've seen so much of it, as have other. Believe me I want nothing more than the Jets to be successful and dominating for years. I want to go to some Boston dive bar and talks some trash to those chowderheads and brag about the Jets putting a wicked whupping on the Pats.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

maybe one day lol last year was the start of the build. it's hard to say be patient to people who have been waiting 50 years for a SB, but you can't blame those 50 years on the current regime.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Stop acting like a little noob

If you don't know who Emerson Boozer is you don't deserve to post

Check out NYJs Ring of Honor

You should quiz yourself daily on our SB Champs

boozer32 likes this.
  11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Meh, post stats all you want. It was a tale of two games. In 2009, Jets were up 17-13 going into halftime. Sanchez had 2 TDs before halftime. Then after half-time, drives went:
    Miss FG
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Int
    End of Game

I call that epicly falling apart, regardless of the defense allowing another 17 points to one of the best quarterbacks who ever played. If you went into half-time up by 4 saying that the Jets would score no more points for the rest of the game against Manning, no sane person would place a bet saying that the Jets would win that game.

Go to 2010, first half. To start, yes, defense shit the bed by getting stuck on the field for 10 minutes to start the game. Doesn't change the fact that the Jets also had one drive the entire half longer than 2 minutes.
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    FG

Momentum plays a big role in sports. If your offense can't score points, it will weigh on the defense. Defense certainly was known in the Rex era for letting up big plays at crappy times, but a more consistent offense would have greatly alleviated all the pressure that the defense always had.

Sanchez had a few moments of greatness mixed with lots of times of average to poor play. He was a quintessential backup who maybe with the right coaching (rather than Rex Ryan who could care less about the offensive side of things) may have been able to become a decent starter. Never happened though.

#591 LeonNYJ, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

If you don't understand when a joke is being made, you shouldn't be on any forum ;)

FJF likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was reading this article in today's NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/dave-gettleman-is-changing-everything-about-the-giants-draft-process/

Even though it's about the Giants, the title caught my eye: "Dave Gettleman is changing 'everything' about the Giants draft process", and I wanted to see if any of those proposed changes might be something the Jets should consider (not that they would). Interesting read, but one thing that jumped out was this:

"Gettleman knows all the Giants scouts, so this will be more indoctrination than introduction; what is presented to them will be eye-opening. Under Reese and Ross, the Giants were often drawn to height-weight-speed prospects who too frequently went bust rather than boom. It is believed Gettleman will bring the emphasis back to production on the field — stressing passion, desire and mechanics rather than raw talent."

I think Macc (and prior GMs) has done this too, and is the reason for so many misses - Hackenberg in particular. And the other thing that popped up for me with this is "Baker Mayfield" - could the Giants be thinking about taking him at 2? After all, it's the physical aspects of Mayfield that seem to make people think he isn't a FQB prospect, but maybe Gettleman looks at him differently. Even is he doesn't, I think the Jets should, as well as looking beyond the raw numbers, and instead looking at on field performance. Still, not an exact science by any means, but I think guys who demonstrate heart and a "winning mentality" usually succeed, even in spite of physical limitations.

nicg4360 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the quote and can understand why you like it, but the reality is that Gettleman is a pretty bad GM. If your quote is truly his philosophy, he surely didn't follow it with the Panthers. He did some pretty good things and 14 of the players he drafted are still with the Panthers.

He massively overrated the Panthers OL. He has Cam Newton who has a cannon for an arm, and Greg Olsen is his most reliable receiver. He drafted Benjamin and Funchess in back-to- back drafts who are practically identical players, and both of whom had a penchant for dropping passes, and then is unhappy because they were too similar in style, then trades Benjamin and doesn't replace him. He signed Ted Ginn, Jr. as a FA in 2013, Ginn played well, then Gettleman allowed him to walk and sign with the Cardinals for 2014. Gettleman realized his mistake, re-signed Ginn and Ginn played very well for the Panthers in 2015 & 2016, then Gettleman allowed him to leave in FA again, the Saints signed him and he played well for the Saints, and really hurt the Panthers in their playoff game. In his 5 drafts with the Panthers, they had the fewest draft picks in the NFL. Sound familiar? They had 4 less picks than the next closest team!

He rescinded Josh Norman's franchise tag and allowed Norman to leave and their D hasn't been the same since. He mishandled Steve Smith and his release. He insulted LT Jordan Gross with his offer and refused to raise it, when Gross was willing to play a couple more season. Worse they were only a couple of million apart. As a result, he moved Byron Bell from RT to LT and the Panthers finished 7-8-1. He continued to look for cheap help on the OL bringing in has-beens and never was types. As a result, Cam has been under constant pressure and taken a pounding. He used a 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick on Devin Funchess. DEVIN FUNCHESS!!!! I'm glad he's back with the Midgets. That means they will continue to suck.

#594 NCJetsfan, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wasn't really commenting on Gettleman's track record, just what he says is his philosophy now. Maybe he's terrible, and maybe I misunderstood what he was saying, but I do stand by my philosophy which is that winners tend to maintain that winner's mindset, and it often makes them better players than their "measurable" would indicate. If that's not what Gettleman was saying, then it is what I'm saying FWIW. It'll be interesting to see if he can apply his "lessons learned" in his new job.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know. I like that stated philosophy, and would rather have players with production than measurables.

I didn't mean it to sound like I was criticizing you or disagreeing. Sorry if it did! I just can't stand Gettleman. He very well could have cost the Panthers a Lombardi Trophy or two.