Rank These 4 Quarterbacks (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield) . . .

Discussion in 'Draft' started by slimjasi, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The primary question for each of the big prospects:

1. Rosen - Is he going to stay healthy and if he has injury issues early is he going to retire early, which is often the smartest path, particularly with concussions? Attitude problems are over-rated in my opinion. He wasn't at all controversial this year as he was his freshman year and since then Colin Kaepernick has given a textbook lesson in how to cripple your career by taking controversial stances.

2. Darnold - Is he ready for the NFL yet? He's young and does not have a long track record at QB. His obvious technical flaws are outweighed by his moxie and drive on the field, but should they be?

3. Allen - Can you teach somebody to be a more accurate passer? The quality of completing lots of passes is so important that when a QB falls below the median consistently in that area you have to wonder if the problem is fixable or if that's just what he's capable of.

4. Mayfield - Just two questions but both are important. 1) Is Mayfield stable enough emotionally to play in the NY/NJ fishbowl? 2) How much were his numbers inflated by the Sooner's hybrid Air Raid + north south run game offense? Was Mayfield making reads on passing plays or just throwing to the guy the play was designed to go too? He is the hardest guy to evaluate in this class. Height issues are no issue in my opinion it's the other two questions that the Jets will need to answer before they draft him.

5. Jackson - Who was the last great running QB to fully succeed in the NFL? Assuming that his mobility is a double-edged sword is the rest of his game good enough to allow him to star at the NFL level?

6. Rudolph - OSU runs a RPO (run pass option) offense out of the spread. It's not an Air Raid but it can be accurately described as the next thing in college football at the moment. Can Rudolph prosper in a normal NFL offensive scheme? Is his arm strength good enough to fit the ball into tight windows when he is used to picking out the open receiver in the holes that an RPO offense creates in the secondary?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? You're questioning his mental stability? Based on what? SMH

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Questioning Mayfield's mental stability is in vogue these days. The arrest for public intoxication and arguing with bystanders and an officer preceded his occasionally over the top antics on the field this year. Everything he does in this media market that could be interpreted negatively will be so marked by the media. It won't be hard for him to get backed into a corner he has trouble getting out of.

Does he have the ability to take a step back and not make waves when the storm warnings are on the horizon? Looking at his relationships to the administrations at Texas Tech and Oklahoma leaves me wondering if his response to choppy water in NY will not be a drive to get away from the problem.

Mayfield left Texas Tech in a huff after a very successful walk on freshman season where he took the QB job and never let go of it. He gave up a year of play in 2014 to do that. What did that decision foretell about his ability to be stable in his initial job in the NFL?

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Dig a little bit Br4d. The concerns you are echoing are answered, but not yet popular public narrative.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It may be "in vogue," but that doesn't make it right or even sensible. It's one thing to say that a person has made some dumb mistakes. It's quite another to question his mental stability because of them. He isn't insane or have mental health issues. That's just ridiculous!

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You can't really; you can improve their mechanics and hope in turn that improves their accuracy. You can, however, improve CMP% through scheme.

7. Br4d

Even changing the scheme doesn't work that well for guys who have real accuracy problems. Mark Sanchez couldn't hit a screen pass for his life the last year he was with the Jets. That was purely mental constipation in my opinion, like Steve Sax not being able to make the throw from 2nd to 1st reliably when he got the mental block that nearly retired him.

8. legler82

Mark Sanchez is actually a PERFECT example of my point that you can't improve accuracy but you can improve CMP% through scheme. Sanchez completed 65% of his passes in Philly and 55% everywhere else. If we ran the WCO while he was here, I guarantee he would have a CMP% over 60% here. That wouldn't make him an accurate QB but a more effective one. It cracks me up when people look at Allen and Mayfield's CMP% in college and automatically consider the former inaccurate and the latter accurate. The truth is neither are as inaccurate or accurate as their CMP% would suggest.

Br4d likes this.
  9. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

I think if you look at the West Coast Offense under Morton that Mayfield is the top prospect for them. I believe Rosen is head and shoulders above the others from a talent standpoint and the only issue I would have with him is the medicals.
    Darnold does not overly impress me.
    Allen seems like a big time project, with amazing physical talent but would need a great OC to work with him.
    Jackson would be alot of fun but again needs a really great offensive mind to work with. I think if you had Lamar Jackson and Kyle Shannan together it could work, going off of what he did with RGIII in those early years. Obviously not possible but someone along those lines.

ColoradoContrails and Patriot like this.
  10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Many Jets fans keep bringing up Mayfield and not living in NY I am wondering if the media is pushing for Mayfield. His size does concern me but that is not to say he will not be another Drew Breeze. There is no obvious QB in this draft so it will be interesting to see who pans out in the future. Who know someone picked in the 2nd round might be the best QB for the NFL.

11. Br4d

The NY media is pushing Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield because those are the guys they will be able to craft the most stories around for the next decade if they work out. They're going to get one of them via the Giants #2 pick but they'd love to get 2 of them going head to head in The Big Apple for the forseeable future.

Eli Manning vs Jet's flunky of the hour has been a disaster from a writer's point of view. Eli is as boring as watching paint dry and the Jets guys have been setting themselves and other people on fire over the same span and it's only briefly entertaining watching guys running around with their hair on fire.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Rosen
    Darnold
    Allen
    Mayfield

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Can't wait until the combine and we find out that Baker Mayfield is 5'11''

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Can’t wait until I care about Baker’s height. 2 of the top 5 QBs in the game are under 6’0.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

1) Rosen
    2a) Mayfield
    2b) Darnold
    3) Allen or Jackson

Rosen, to me is the most pro ready QB coming out. He has a big mouth IMO but that isn't going to stop a team from drafting him. He will probably be selected 2nd overall since he pretty much said he would rather not get drafted by the Browns.

Mayfield has come a long way and his two biggest strengths are his stats continue to get better year after year and he continues to grind because he's been doubted so many times due to his size. I think the fire he brings to the field is infectious and I continuously think about how the Jets need someone with his confidence on the team. He may require some time to develop, but if there is an O minded coach who develops the offense around him, he can make an instant impact.

Darnold was seen by many, including myself at times, as the #1, but this year he has not looked as great, and I personally feel like he needed to stay in school. Him coming out just adds another QB to the pool which helps the Jets. I still think he has a lot of tools to become really great, but I am worried about how many interceptions he's thrown.

Allen to me is a huge boom or bust prospect and despite being the most physically gifted QB in the draft, I just can't sign up to take him at 6. His numbers are atrocious and sure his supporting cast was much better last season, but I just can't use that as an excuse to justify his play this year. His completion percentage is alarming. I am scarred as well because of the Hack pick. Macc thought he could take a physically gifted QB and turn him around. It's not that easy.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Really? You're comparing Baker Mayfield with Drew Brees and Russell Wilson?

lol....

17. DSL97

DSL97 Member

He's saying that height doesn't mean he's going to be a bust when there are other good short qbs

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

QB thread with full season analysis on the major QB players.

19. legler82

You don't have to wait until the Combine. We'll know in a dew days once Senior Bowl week starts. More important than his height, next week we'll be able to see if he can make NFL throws accurately and on time. I think he has the tendency to throw the ball late a trait that Geno Smith had coming out despite the impressive CMP%.

20. legler82

Dunno about Russell Wilson but under the right circumstances and coaching I do think Mayfield's ceiling could be Brees.