We're gonna find out what kind of GM Mike MacCagnan is this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Jan 7, 2018.

1. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

I agree that this is a make or break draft for him but I disagree with Luck over Cousins. He’s coming off a big injury, the team will need to give up too much for him and I just don’t think he’s as good as the talking heads tell me he is.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Do they get a mulligan for the past 3 years?

I'm not busting your chops, it's an honest question.

What makes you think they will get it right this time around?

They have had 3 drafts together. I'm pretty sure you know their philosophy on building a team by now.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sadly, they DID get a mulligan from the Johnsons. For better or worse Macc gets to call the shots again. Like you, I have very little faith that he will do what is needed. I feel like I'm watching a movie for the 50th time.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

At this juncture, I have given them a "pass" for the first 2 years and at this point evaluating from a rebuild standpoint. Year 1, I am happy with the progress, but much more to go. They have no choice, but to get it right. They know what they need. They need to do their due diligence and homework. Find the right prospect and get them ready to play. My faith in them is small, but I want to see this through with Mac and Bowles.

#24 101GangGreen101, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

He's got one more chance to find a QB. If he fails to achieve that main objective he'll definitely be gone. I figure Woody might give him another mulligan if he finds a budding star QB but the OL still sucks? However, failure to long term fix for QB and he gets canned. It's about that simple.

FlaJet and Vida like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I could wrong but I have a feeling that the reason behind the 2 year extensions was to give Mac a chance to improve the Offensive side and to give Hack an opportunity to show what he can do with some talent around him.( Give him the best chance at success) . Hence no playoff mandate in 2018. If / when Hack shits the bed , 2019 becomes all about finding the QB, and Mac and Bowles will be reevaluated accordingly. If a QB falls to Mac in 18, he will grab him but, I don't think trading up to a top 3 - 4 pick is in the plans.
    Not what Im advocating but just a gut feeling.
    It just seems like a very Jets direction to take.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Mainejet

You could be right. My post represents my opinion and nothing more. Like you said, if Mac does not select a QB in this draft/FA, and Hacks shits the bed like so many of us think he's going to, then the Jets are back at square ONE. This, 4 years into the Mac regime and still NOTHING in the way of QB talent. However, even then you look deeper at the picks Mac made? They are not average run of the mill guys that can be a backup or something like that? They are HORRIBLE. Not just bad, but some of the worst QB's we've ever seen on the field? That's why I think if he doesn't get the Jets the solution at QB this off season he gets fired.....

boozer32 and 94Abraham like this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I still hate the organizational structure and feel Mac deserves at least one shot to hire his own coach and see how some of his guys look playing under somebody else.

Let him implement his full vision.

Rex had his warts but we didn't see this with Wilkerson and Revis under him did we? They played hard and cared. They didn't under Bowles

Let Mac have his staff in there and just maybe you'll see guys like Darron Lee take considerable steps forward

boozer32 likes this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Using the lion's share of his 2017 draft for 4 DBs and 3 receivers was not smart. The jets have WAY too many needs to burn so much draft capital on two positions. Then, to top it off, he burns a 2018 draft pick on another worseless DB recenty picked up for marijuana candy. Prediction: more DBs will be drafted by MM in 2018--he or Bowles must really like them.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

How has Mac proven himself though for anyone to trust him? If they let him pick his own coach, that locks Mac into another 3 years and his draft pics have been average at best overall to trust giving him the reigns for more years. If this draft is good and the youngsters continue to develop, then i feel the organization will trust him more

FJF and playtowinthegame like this.
  11. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

As a fan you have no choice but to see this through with Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles, unless you quit as a fan.

#31 playtowinthegame, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mac has some Rain Man in him for sure.

blackssmagic, boozer32 and tomdeb like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Really now.

14. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Yes....?

15. Mainejet

Those grades are so absurd. Hack a C? If anything, he's an incomplete. He's still yet to play a single snap.

Lee a B?! That's like claiming Ryan Leaf was a good pick. That little shithead was at best a D+. He's a one dimensional player at best right now. His run defense improved a little during the season, but his last 6 games were pure garbage in every sense of the word.

How in the hell was Jordan Jenkins a B? He did NOTHING in 2016. Whoever wrote this article pulled those grades directly out of his ass.

I know this article was from a while back, but that's all the more reason for this meathead to keep his opinions to himself.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is what I wanted. They will get this year to get it right.

17. ColoradoContrails

Or they will get this year to prove what most of us know: they're not good enough. In the meantime some very good talent at GM and HC (not to mention coordinators) will be taken by other teams. I do hope I'm wrong, but there's a high probability I'm right based on their track records.

boozer32 and tomdeb like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea? Who is getting snapped up by other teams that we are missing out on?

19. ColoradoContrails

McDaniels and Patricia for two, not to mention any other guys who actually get hired. I'm not saying every candidate is better than Macc and Bowles, but while we hold onto mediocrity some other teams will be improving.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Meh, most of the the coaches hired this cycle will be out in 4 years. And the belichick tree has yet to produce a good nfl coach. I doubt these 2 become the first.