We Should Be Worried

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 10, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

#81 playtowinthegame, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    legler82, Jets_Grinch and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's not getting tagged, the relationship with the Redskins is pretty tarnished at this stage. I do think Denver will be interested as well, but they don't have the cap space we have. Also, I would say our team is younger then Denver's especially on the outside WRs. I think the Jets, if they were serious about courting Cousins would have an excellent shot. Cousins can continue to grow with this roster.

Let Denver have Mayfield or Josh Allen.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything but the last sentence. On that point, I'm undecided. Both those guys have a lot of potential, which if realized would likely make them better than Cousins, but of course that's unknown, and therefore a risk. In any case, we'll know before the draft if this point is moot.

4. 101GangGreen101

I'll pass on Mayfield and Allen specifically. Allen is a late draft prospect with great potential. The tape shows a qb with a lot of question marks. Mayfield, not enough NFL throws for me to like him at 6.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

As stated in a previous post...

Baker Mayfield would add much needed fire to the position.

6. ColoradoContrails

There's a lot of examination that will be done between now and draft day and so I'll wait to see what the "experts" say, although like you I'm skeptical of Allen. I do like Mayfield though and think he will succeed in the NFL, although he may have some growing pains. Despite that, I think he might be a good fit for the Jets with his fire and "never say die" attitude (it might offset the quitter's mentality of the CS).

7. 101GangGreen101

That's fair. I trust my own eyes and Josh Allen is a QB that follows a good throw with 2 extremely bad ones. The games are out there to see. The combine won't change my mind on Allen. Mayfield, great story in terms of being a walkon, etc, etc ... but didn't really show some of the skill-sets I want in a Jets QB.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mayfield would stare Jets history in the face and flip it the bird.

nicg4360 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I haven't looked at much of Allen's tape, but everyone raves about his potential. Almost alone off of that I'm skeptical given all the "can't miss" flame outs in history. If Macc decides to take him despite the Jets not showing they can develop a QB, I'm going to be very skeptical. But I could very well be wrong,

I'm not an expert. I'm just basing my opinion on years of observation. Macc has every tool available to him to help him decide, and that's one of the mysteries of the NFL: how can so many experts, with all the data available to them, miss so often? I know it's hard, and not simply derivable from numbers and stats, but there are interviews and people who know these players, who have coached them, and they should know their own teams system and whether a guy fits or not, and yet they are so often wrong.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have a tough time seeing the Jets-Cousins marriage working out. I don't think he'll be tagged by Washington, but if he is the Jets are obviously out. Jacksonville, Denver, and Buffalo would seem to be major suitors. Jacksonville saves $19 million on the cap (with no dead money) if they cut Bortles, so it seems to me to be a no-brainer for them to go after Cousins, since he really wouldn't cost them that much more next year for a massive upgrade in quality (a much bigger upgrade than Eli would be, if Eli is even available). Buffalo has $40 million available on the cap if they cut Tyrod Taylor and do nothing else (taking into account his dead cap money), which gives them some room to maneuver. I think given this the Jets would have to overpay to get Cousins, perhaps seriously overpay, and I have doubts that they're going to want to do that (completely putting aside whether it would be a good idea to do it). And the fact is that if Cousins wants to both make some money and actually win a title, Jacksonville is a far better choice than the Jets would be.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The bold is the type of hyperbole that makes me come across as an Allen apologist. You name a prospect in the past with Allen's size, arm, athleticism, pro-style offense experience and potential who was drafted late. He may not be you and my cup of tea but he's certainly not a late round pick. At the end of the day it's going to be about what a GM values and scheme fit with him. I'm also curious to know what all those "question marks" are. He is as an open a book as you can get from a college QB prospect nowadays. His strengths and weaknesses are pretty weaknesses are pretty glaring on tape; at this point I think we all know what they are.

12. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Cousins is a decent starter, he makes a lot of sense for us. I hope they open the vault and just sign him, while we wouldn't have a top tier QB, we'd have a good starter at the position for the foreseeable future. To me, that's more important as it gives draft flexibility. We need to be able to use these picks on other areas of the team, specifically edge rusher, corner and pretty much every other position on offense. Giving up a king's ransom for one of these QB prospects will set us back for years potentially.

FJF likes this.
  13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

That being said, if Allen is sitting there at six, you probably take him.

14. 101GangGreen101

Alot of people are comparing him to Mahomes, but Mahomes simply showed more on tape on a game by game basis. I was a Mahomes basher, I cant like Josh Allen more cause Mahomes was superior in everyway cept physical traits. Doesn't make you an apologist. He will go in the first round or 2nd at worst due to his potential.

If he showed more consistency in college, he would be my guy no doubt but man a lot of bad to go along with such little good. If we can get john dephillipo I'd consider it.

15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Josh Allen is my personal favorite among the rookie QB's with decent chances of being available at our pick but I agree he's risky. There is a solid chance that he just doesn't work out.

I'm becoming more in favor of going the Cousins route but in addition to the other pitfalls mentioned I think Arizona might be a major problem. They have to be thinking with David Johnson, those WRs etc they could just plug him right in and go for it immediately. I have no idea what Cousins preferences are but for some reason I'm picturing that playing in Arizona might be tempting for him. With the weather, media environment, Patriots looming etc the Jets might offer the potentially bigger stage but probably a bigger pain in the ass for him to earn his money.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A problem for Arizona is that they currently have $27 million in cap space and no quarterbacks on the roster. Signing Cousins would use up all of their cap space, which means that they would have to do some serious restructuring (putting them in cap hell) or releasing (potentially crippling the team) to be able to afford it. One of the Vikings' castoffs would be cheaper and thus perhaps preferable, especially if they hire Shurmur to be their coach. Also, from Cousins' point of view, the Rams and Niners look to be on the way up, making the NFC West potentially less appealing.

17. No missing on cousins & missing on a draft pick are not the same bc the draft pick doesn’t have the same cap hit & doesn't disrupt the rebuild.And if this draft class that I’ve suposively overrated is up to the hype we’ll have the added grief of staring at all the names we passed on for O’Donnell 2.0

There’s going to be no convincing you & others though. You’ve overrated cousins & underrated the draft class bc you simply aren’t willing to take any risk.You want a sure thing even if it’s fool’s gold.Youve gone ahead & convinced yourself that Cousins is a sure thing bc it’s the path of least resistance & you can’t possibly leave anything up to chance.

The whole reason Cousins is even potentially available is bc Of the very fear myself & others have voiced.The redskins don’t wanna pay him top $ bc he isn’t a elite QB.Does Dan Snyder lack funds?Does Dan Snyder not want to win?DoesSnyder not WANT a franchise QB??Let that all sink in for a minute..

While I respect you, I’m beyond disgusted w this whole conversation.Go ahead & tell me how we shouldn’t draft a QB bc they aren’t Andrew Luck or John Elway..it’s the same crap every year around this time.Its ok for other teams to draft a QB & develop one the right way but it’s not ok for the Jets.Just don’t complain when we’re in the same shitty predicament 3 years from now when Cousins flops.

Im sure we’ll have another top 5 pick & high end QB or two staring at us..but bc we have other holes & he isn’t John Elway we’ll just overpay another veteran bc they’re a known commodity w a false sense of low risk.

You’ve made it very clear that you aren’t willing to commit to truly resolving QB bc you aren’t willing to take any sort of gamble or leave anything up to evaluation,projection or development.So I guess in your offseason plan we go Defense again on the first round??Oh yes you’re a Bowles guy so you’ll likely want that anyway...lol..carry on I guess

#97 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
  18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had the thought of The Jets signing Bridgewater as a FA, AND also drafting Mayfield if he's available at 6. We'd bring back McCown and say goodbye to both Petty and Hack. The idea being that either Bridgewater or Mayfield emerge as our long term solution. Like hedging a bet.

Tell me why this would be foolish move, because I couldn't find the reason yesterday. Maybe today I will ; )

19. I’m all for bringing in an FA QB to hedge our bet..I just don’t wanna break the bank & be all in on one prohibiting us from finding a long term solution via the draft.

I’d be fine w Bridgewater.At that point we would need to prioritize a running game,Pass protection & short area WRs.Health is his big concern & needs a clean pocket.

But I like Case Keenum.I loved his release ,ball placement & decision making his draft year & he’s been a battler this whole season w the Vikes

We know he’s tough enough to handle NY,think he has the arm strength for the wind & we know he won’t shy away from competition from a high profile draft pick.

20. ColoradoContrails

I'm with you Kurt, I prefer Keenum of the two, mainly because Bridgewater is a question mark as far as his health goes. But I would take either one, along with Mayfield or one of the other highly rated QBs coming out and see who rises to the top.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.