Can Bowles do it??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

NYJetsO12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

JetBlue, boozer32, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Actually today is day 1 towards 50 years when the NYJs last won a SB. IMHO Bowels is a cellar dwelling HC like all the NYJ HC have been including BP since Weeb. By extending Bowles they have told the STHERs & fans that we continue to be garbage & a bottom of the barrel team for at least the next 2 years :mad:

NYJetsO12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  4. Cman68

Actually, I look at it this way. Its year 1 of our run at the Cubs' record of futility.(too bad we don't have any goats). It should be noted that the Cubs did indeed win a WS. That being said, the odds are decent that between now and 2068, we'll be in a SB. Can't Wait!! (no, really I can't wait that long...)

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don’t see it in Bowles. He is a good leader. Fine but his in game adjustments are bad. His situational football awareness isn’t there and he is a scared chicken during games who prefers not going for 4th downs when the game is on the line. I can’t imagine him coaching in the Superbowl. He will look like a deer in the headlights.

The sooner we part ways with Bowles the better.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

By keeping Mac and Bowles for a 4th year it makes the Jets attractive to potential candidates next year should we still suck. Johnson & Johnson gives you 4 years no matter how much the fans moan and groan. Billboards don't work anymore.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

He seems outmatched in almost every game he coaches. He's just not head coach material.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Only two coaches out of 37 who didn't make the p.o. their first three years even made it to the SB, and none have ever won it. THAT is what tells me that Bowles needs to go. And it also reinforces my belief that the Johnsons are completely clueless about what makes a winning football team. The only "stability" that's worth anything is sticking with those HCs who consistently win. Consistency for consistency's sake is a road map for mediocrity at best. A good manager/owner is able to weigh the odds of the moves he wants to make, and deciding to ignore (if he was even aware of this before which I find doubtful) these odds proves Woody and Chris to be ignorant. And even if there WAS a HC who could buck these odds and win a SB, does anyone believe Todd Bowles is that guy? Extending him (and Macc) simply delays the inevitable and further delays progress towards a championship.

NCJetsfan, Will-I-Am-Not and Ralebird like this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure he's DC material. He seems like a position coach at best.

NCJetsfan and abc like this.
  10. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

The way he has established himself as the boss in the locker room getting rid of locker room headaches is great, he has let everyone know that he is calling the shots proven by having had it with Wilkerson.
    Unfortunately he has maxed out his worth off the field, during a game he has shown nothing, game adjustments, clock management, non stop penalties, timeouts, name it and there is nothing about coaching talent on the field.
    Coaches during a game to be happy If they are close at the end, we’ve had way too many coaches in the last 40 years coaching this way.
    Can he do it, I doubt it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

From what I understand UPS delivered a plain brown package to the Bowles residence in NJ recently.

A neighbor spotted Todd opening it and it was "Football Coaching for Dummies"

So of course there's hope..

12. ColoradoContrails

Watching the tail end of the Bird Bowl (Falcons vs. Eagles), and Atlanta just went for it 4th and 6 from their 40 with 3 minutes and change left. That is something I don't Bowles would ever do. As it turns out they made it, but even if they didn't it was the right call. That's the difference between a championship-level coach and a pretender.

13. Cman68

Watching the same game and had the same thought. Even more amazing is that the Berds still have 2 TO's with 79 seconds left deep in Iggle territory.

14. Cman68

shovel screen? Is Todd Bowles on the sidelines???

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Can Bowles do it??

no

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and Ralebird like this.
  16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I was watching the Eagles/Falcons game today, and when that first down got overturned leaving 4th and 6 at midfield with under 3 minutes left we all know he would have punted the game away right there.

Todd’s two biggest fears are:

#1 Going for in on 4th down
    #2 Being aggressive to try to get points before the half

boozer32 likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

#1 is something that anybody would fear given the Jets offensive personnel at this point.
    #2 is the consensus among NFL head coaches in this era. Nobody tries to go down the field for a quick strike unless they have a very strong offense *and* they've had trouble scoring points in the 1st half in the game in question.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

That's exactly what I was thinking at that point.

19. ColoradoContrails

Even with their offensive problems, what would they have had to lose? That's the question I would like Bowles to answer because apparently he's more afraid of that answer than he is of losing the game.

abc likes this.
  20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

When Tony Romo was broadcasting the Pats game he was constantly talking Bowles up. I can help but shake the idea was he thought we were pathetic and he had to find some positive thing to take from the game.