Jets vs Raiders rivalry

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 11, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Its going to be very nostalgic to see Jon Gruden roaming the sidelines again this year. I recall the Jets playing some very memorable games against those guys.

Who can forget the John Hall 54 yarder to put the Jets into the playoffs in 2001? Obviously they eliminated us in the playoffs two years in a row and I remember 2002 in particular being a tough game to swallow.

Its hard to believe that team didnt win a super bowl given all that talent:

Rich Gannon, Charlie Garner (killed the Jets), Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Joey Porter, Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, etc...

Its a real shame they got screwed on that tuck rule call. I think the Raiders vs Rams that year would have been an epic Super Bowl matchup.

Also its amazing how the quality of play in the NFL had deteriorated since those days. The Patriots are consistent, but you dont really see power house offenses like the Raiders and Rams had anymore.

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

That Hall kick I was certain was going to be no good. They frantically ran the special teams on the field and the kick was from the dirt infield I believe. Somehow he made it.

You know why we had to win that game to make it in? Because the previous week at home we played a 2-12 Bills team with Alex Van Pelt at QB. SOJ loss if there ever was one.

3. forevercursed

We could've beaten the Raiders in that playoff game. Testaverde played well and Martin was incredible. Hall had a FG blocked as well as a 45 yard miss. That really hurt.

We had no way to defend Gannon to Rice either. Shredded us all day.

Looked like we were going to get the ball back, albeit with not much time left, down 31-24, but on a 3rd and 11 from their own 20...of course...80 yard TD run by Charlie Garner to seal it. Unreal.

Richie Anderson also had a big fumble in that game as well IIRC

slimjasi, MurrellMartin and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. forevercursed

And while we're on the subject of 2001...we had a very sketchy 17-16 loss to NE where during many moments it really looked like NE knew everything we were running.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U must be a real youngie not to mention the PO game in Dec 1968:mad:

boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

It certainly has lost its luster in the last decade, but who knows, maybe this hire will help revamp it. I just don't see the hatred anymore between the two franchises, especially after Al passed.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That game still boggles my mind........13-0 lead at halftime. Testaverde overthrew a wide open Richie Anderson that would have sealed the win........ Jets would have won the division and they probably would have hosted Raiders in playoff ....no tuck play !!

8. mrjet80

I would agree......I wasn't around for the 60s but any Jets Raiders rivalry these days would pale in comparison to the late 60s match ups....

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

And the Heidi game a month earlier. And the 1967 game in which Ike Lassiter broke Joe Namath's jaw (this has been misreported as Ben Davidson doing it for 50 years), prompting Namath to go to the cage facemask. The Raiders of the 1960s and 1970s were by far the dirtiest team in football history, and I've never hated any sports team as much as I hated them.

Now? Who cares. Chucky is no Al Davis, and that's much more of a compliment about him as a human being than an insult about him as a football man.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

It's been a long time, but my memory is that the Raiders O-line completely dominated in that game.

11. abc

abc Well-Known Member

"You know why we had to win that game to make it in? Because the previous week at home we played a 2-12 Bills team with Alex Van Pelt at QB. SOJ loss if there ever was one."

The agita of being a jet fan.

KurtTheJetsFan and slimjasi like this.
  12. mrjet80

I remember that game as well......14-9 Jets kept shooting themselves in the foot. With less than a minute left and the Bills attempting a punt at midfield the punter dropped the snap. A Jets rookie - I forgot his name - dove on the ball when he could have easily scooped it up and taken it in for a miracle win.........that's agita all right.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The two main problems for us when we played those Raider teams were: 1) We always played them in Oakland, and 2) We could never stop them when we had to.

Walt White likes this.
  14. slimjasi

One of the many SOJ losses that I will never forget.

15. slimjasi

If I remember correctly, it was a toss play that perfectly counteracted us run-blitzing up the middle.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a documentary on the Raiders and it stated that Leon Hess or the other 2 owners of the Jets, wanted Al Davis to own the Jets. He turned it down. I thought that was very strange and can't remember Hess reasoning why he wanted out.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a documentary on the Raiders and it stated that Leon Hess or the other 2 owners of the Jets, wanted Al Davis to own the Jets. He turned it down. I thought that was very strange and can't remember Hess reasoning why he wanted out.

18. championjets69

Your post is not true. U must be another youngie that was not around in the 60s. The PO game in Dec 1968 was played at shea & I confirm that because I was there :mad:

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets-Raiders rivalry is gone. Both teams have been too bad recently to make the games eventful and the Patriots have risen to be the evil empire for Jets fans at this point.

The Jets rivals right now are the Fins, Pats and Giants in some order depending on a fan's outlook. For me the rivalry died with Al Davis. He was the Darth Vader who made Jets fans miserable.

I don't know that the Fins rivalry will last much longer if they keep sucking either. When Don Shula goes it will be hard to focus on exactly why I hate them.

20. championjets69

I was not miserable in Dec 1968 when we beat the big bad Raiders to qualify for the SB but I guess U to are a youngis & do not remember that:mad: