We Should Be Worried

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Cousins is a mini Brees. We can build around him. When Cousins hits the market it’ll be like Brees did all over again. It just doesn’t happen. He should be heavily considered

FJF likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Holy Sunni? You can't even curse correctly.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't think so and I don't think Cousins will be worth the price tag. I still think the Redskins will tag him again.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And I sure hope that no GM ever is of the mindset that he can draft an FQB. The best possible scenario is that he gets a potential FQB and with the grace of God and excellent coaching that potential is someday realized. That's asking a lot around Florham Park.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

THANK YOU. This post really hits on the points I wanted to make. What I think many here may be missing, all due respect, is that Mac MUST avoid pushing the Jets into that abysmal sea of MEDIOCRITY. I don't know about anyone else on this site, but I do not want anything to do with mediocrity. I want this team to come out of this rebuild as a CONTENDER to win it all. I could care less about being 10-6 every season and making the playoffs only to see us lose when we face a truly great team.

There's playoff teams and then there's CONTENDERS. The Jaguars and Titans are this years representation of playoff teams. Make no mistake about it, they are NOT contenders. At least right now they have no chance at winning it all. Hell, Jax may even upset the Steelers yet again in Pittsburgh this weekend. However, that is just delaying the inevitable. That's when most fans or in particular Jax fans realize their team is not capable of winning a SB right now. They need to rise above mediocrity.

Honestly, that is ultimately where I feel Kirk Cousins lands the Jets if Mac chooses to sign him.

6. Mainejet

This has absolutely nothing to do with matching the level of play from Cousins. It has everything to do with surpassing it............

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Everyone wants the fairy tale drafted kid plays 18 years lifts a bunch of trophies retires a jet goes on to be a fixture in the organization for another 20 years. But I am more about reality and reality says there are not 32 good qbs walking the earth so you get one By. Any. Means. Necessary.
    That means the first opportunity is March 14 and I hope mac is sitting in cousins driveway at the stroke of midnight.
    Now if you think cousins is not raising the level of the play of the guys around him you are way,way,way overrating the players around him,way.
    Now,and this goes to @Mainejet also, if you are waiting for someone to exceed cousins’ play there is a good chance that guy is not in this draft, probably not in next years either, not sure Goff or wentz even surpass his 3 years as a starter so far and they are both on much better teams.
    I think a lot of people are letting perfect be the enemy of good here and are not realizing what reality is.

Red Menace and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well said. I'd love the fairy tale drafted QB too but like I posted somewhere else I think the harsh reality is that the Cousins route has higher pot odds of being a success. At the same age too I'd roll with Kirk Cousins any day of the week and twice on Thursday over Neil O'Donnel. Isn't he over 4000 yards a year 3 in a row now with pretty fine completion % numbers on a crappy team? To me this is above mediocrity.

Plus in addition to that is the fact that there is no (reasonable) chance of implosion. Any guy we draft comes with an alarmingly high chance of just not working out. And if god forbid that happens by about year 2 or 3 we'll all be pining for the chance at "mediocrity"

FJF likes this.
  9. Mainejet

You bring up a valid argument. But once again signing Cousins is settling for mediocrity IMO. I want nothing to do with settling because it does not allow the Jets to reach the ultimate destination of hoisting the Lombardi trophy. So just because there may not be that franchise guy that's going to play 18 years and hoist a bunch of trophies, doesn't make settling any more attractive.

But in reference specifically to young talent in the draft.... I there is at least one, if not more franchise guys. There's a lot of very impressive young QB's coming out in this draft with the resume to back it up.......

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. FJF

I don’t how to explain to you that cousins is not a mediocre qb. I’m not sure how anyone watching him play can think that. Cousins is a good qb right below the h.o.f. group right now. If the jets sign him and toil in mediocrity it will not be because of cousins, it will be because mac struck out building around him.

101GangGreen101 and jetsknicks1 like this.
  11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Kirk Cousins is better than we give him credit for. The only slight strike against him being a utterly perfect solution in my mind is his age and even that is mitigated somewhat by the fact that with him there is no development time needed. Day 1 he's at worst a top 15 NFL quarterback and capable of putting up statistics that close in on top 5.

The opportunity of having something like that fall into your lap is pretty rare.

If he's at all interested in coming here I think the smart play here is to just make him "the man" use your enviable haul of 3 top 50 draft picks to get him some weapons and protection and go give it a run. If the Jets did that and had just a little good fortune I don't see why you couldn't have a deep playoff run immediately in 2018. Maybe not for sure but I would think that would be within the very legitimate range of outcomes.

FJF likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

10% motha fkers...that's what I want..10%!

boozer32 likes this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's asking too much of any GM. Any team that makes the playoffs is a contender. From there, it's a combination of talent, luck, timing, good coaching and a lot of other things to win it all. We'd all like to see Macc build the next dynasty like the Patriots but how many teams are there that have been as dominant as the Patriots over the last 15 years? One, the Patriots. More realistic, Macc needs to put together a team that knocks on the door every season sort of like the Packers do (except for this season obviously.) If the Jets can do that consistently, and keep building on each success, the breaks are more likely to go their way to win it all.

FJF likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm one who wants the "fairy tale QB", but if Macc signed Cousins I wouldn't be upset. I fully agree with you: they NEED their FQB! They will go nowhere - okay, MAYBE make the playoffs, but not the SB which is all I care about now - without that. In this case I would really want Macc to get Barkley - paired with Cousins they would instantly transform the offense. Then address that long lost pass rusher and upgrade the OL. If he did that, I for one would be very happy. I would also see if they could snag one of the "lesser" QBs as insurance.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Of course we all want that fairy tale. But let's start w. getting a young QB w. some upside who actually has the ability to start for this team before we go planning parades. This is about doing the hard right. It's easy to throw a bunch of money at Cousins proclaim ourselves as contenders & go to war. But what happens to the rebuild already in place w. Cousins on board?What happens if the fears myself & others have proclaimed hold true & he's not the answer? Not only do we have a monster contract on the books that will set us back, we'd be back at square one on a macro level & likely have lost the rebuild in the process.

The key to avoiding complete failure drafting a QB round 1 is being absolute certain that they can start & start relatively early in their rookie year to go along w. a level of physical upside.If a guy can start & can be a leader at the very least you can run an offense. The upside is where the ascension comes into play.If the QB isn't an all time great or eventually plays his way out of NY at least you got some level in return in terms of getting on the field & executing the 1st string offense over a number of seasons.Then within a season or 2 when the timing is right you draft another one,starting the process all over again. Except this time you hope that physical upside leads to a massive ascension resulting in championship level success.Is it an easy evaluation? Of course not. But nothing about finding a QB in any manner is.

When you go this route especially in the midst of a roster rebuild you lay healthy stable foundation as young players grow together & hopefully build a sustainable long lasting culture w. lots of winning.Cousins maybe the path of least resistance but does he really change the culture? what does he lend to the rebuild other than the team suddenly feeling obligated to bring in the same type of veterans that have gotten us in trouble time & time again?

in 1996 the Jets were in a very similar position offensively including having alot of cash to spend & a massive hole at QB.They spent a decent chunk of their funds on Neil O'donnell,brought in OL help in Jumbo Elliot & David Williams along w. a decent go to option in Jeff Graham. The 1-15 season followed by the choke job in Detroit under Parcells speak for themselves.While Jumbo Elliot was a fixture for quite awhile, that offseason would largely be considered a major letdown in terms of investment & actual return...

There's just one thing though,the 1996 draft class had one of the most putrid QB classes posibly ever headlined by Tony Banks & Danny Kanel.This undoubtedly forced the Jets hand in some sense.

Are we prepared to possibly make the same mistake all these years later w. the added drama of a strong QB class & a top 10 pick??

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a Championship Quarterback than a Franchise Quarterback.

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Mac Man is ready for the 2018 Draft!

18. FJF

what happens if cousins doesn't work out? same thing that happens if we draft a bust. what happens to the rebuild? it remains the same plan, keep drafting and adding players to build a team.
    there is no cosmic shift in the plan just because we signed our qb instead of drafting them. nothing changes. sign cousins, with mac's contract structures it will be a 3 year deal, same amount of time it would take a 1st rounder to really start bearing fruit if he ever would. so the time risk is the same, the only difference in risks is cash over draft pick. but the cash risk is mitigated a bit when you use the pick on another talent at another area of need.
    comparing this to 1996 is not an equal comparison. cousins > o'donnell and its not even close and this qb class has some good prospects but is being way overrated becasue of the hype that was built up last year. i am willing to bet that not one of these rookie qbs have the career cousins has. my opinion, you are underrating cousins and overrating this class in order to create that fairy tale scenario you want so bad.
    now there is a chance i'm overrating cousins and underrating this class,i can concede that as a possibility. but i trust my eyes on this one

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Mac feels getting Rosen is out of the picture completely, go ahead and just get Cousins. You won't find a better QB in this class, even I like Lamar Jackson, but getting Cousins can transform this offense much quicker. Jets can then focus on the line, rb and EDGE. W/ Cousins and some fixes via draft, we can be better then the Pats, I truly believe it. We need someone to get over the hump. We keep losing these 1 score games. The only thing is the deal has to have an out after like 2 or 3 seasons. I'd front-load the shit out of that contract if I could. Give him a large sum of cash this off-season. Contracts can be tricky, Mac would have to find a way to sign Cousins w/out hampering the roster.

No way, I am taking a Mayfield or Josh Allen over a Kirk Cousins. You cannot make that evaluation.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Damn that was a good post! the last sentence of " perfect be the enemy of good" is very true.

We use that in my line of work because so much time is wasted getting to that level of perfection that it leads to lack of productivity.

Unfortunately Cousins will not be a jet, I believe he will be tagged or signed by the Broncos if he is not tagged.