My ideal offseason

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BleedGreen4ever, Jan 3, 2018.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think the jets need to focus their FA on premium position players. CB is a premium spot, but 16 mil on Trumaine Johnson is steep. He would command 16+ annually but he is in the prime of his career at 28. Would think a 3-4 year deal, but fronloaded to minmize the impact if we needed to get out after 2 seasons.

Cousins is also someone I would hope the Jets make a serious offer to. He can instantly make a position of need disappear and instead of going QB, or having to trade up for a QB in the first round, we can focus our efforts on securing an edge rusher like Nick Chubb from NC state, or trading back and accumulating more picks.

We need to address the o-line this offseason. It's not a particularly deep class of free agents and last season would have been the better season to invest o-line, but Center and left tackle are a must.We have 3 picks within the first 50 picks in the draft. The situation is very fluid, but one thing is for sure, I can see the argument that its best to address QB/CB in FA because of how rare it is to acquire that kind of talent in the offseason.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure Macc has the balls to throw 28-30 mil at Cousins.

FJF likes this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The jets have the third most cap space behind the Browns and 49ers. The only other realistically high bidder will be the Browns who can in essence throw 35 mil annually and it wouldn't be bad for them.

He also said he would seriously consider playing for the Browns if he reaches free agency. They just hired John Dorsey who drafted a bunch of star players for the chiefs. The browns also just hired packers executive Eliot Wolf.

So now the Browns have just created a much better image for themselves with two really smart, draft orientated guys to run the show.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yes I understand the argument that Guards aren't a high value position to take in first round.

However, I banged the table for both Decastro and Zach Martin, received the same arguments at the time, and both are now perennial pro bowlers.
    Their teams are also now 2 of the best running teams in the league.
    I believe Nelson is the next perennial pro bowler, and I'd like the Jets to improve their running game substantially.
    I'd take a blue chip stud at Guard any day, as it's a great foundational piece.

btw, the years those Guards were drafted we got Coples and Calvin Pryor instead.......ugh.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

James, Erving or Lawrence would be awesome. A big NO to Cousins.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I stay away from Darnold. USC QB's are generally garbage with only 1 QB who has a career completion % over 60% (c
    I stay far away from Darnold. USC has a horrible track record when it comes to NFL QB's. When a school has produced only 1 QB (Palmer) whose career % is over 60% and the most famous QB's from the school are Carson Palmer, Matt Lienart, Matt Cassel, Todd Marionovich and Mark Sanchez.....yeah, stay the hell away, the system has never produced quality QB's aside from Palmer. Now if you're drafting for a backup QB? sure.

I also tend to shy away from Mayfield in the first, Short QB's don't have a very good track record in the NFL, yes there have been a few who have excelled, but they're few and far between.

6. 1968jetsfan

I find that many here completely ignore the importance of an Oline.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Such a silly argument. I suppose you don’t want Allen or Rosen either cause when has there been a quality NFL QB from Wyoming or UCLA? Any QBs from Tennessee or Michigan in this draft? I’d love to get the next Manning or Brady.

8. 1968jetsfan

Such a silly argument.
    Lets see, UCLA. Billy Kilmer, Troy Aikman, Jay Schroeder all come to mind without thinking much.
    Wyoming has never produced a QB of note, but they've only had 4 in the NFL in history.
    And that gets to my point, USC has had 24 QB's given a chance in the NFL via the draft, 6 of those in the first round, and 2 more in the 2nd and 3rd. Wyoming has never had a widely held QB in the draft that I'm aware of, USC has produced stat monsters who constantly fail in the NFL with only 1 even having an average to slightly above average career. That's not a good track record for a team that's had repeated QB's drafted and given a full chance in the NFL.

But the really big selling feature? Allen plays in a pro style offense. USC runs a spread college offense which is an offense type well known for not producing NFL caliber QB's...

BomberJet likes this.