Jan. 12, 1969

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

49 years ago

Just sayin'...

[​IMG]

#1 Endlessly Counting, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    nycarl, NYJetsO12, CBG and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. We all totally needed to be reminded, because there definitely is not enough pessimism on these forums.

Burnz likes this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Wish I could watch a tape of it. Oh yeah those didn't exist then. I'm starting to think I won't see a championship in my lifetime. I'm tempted to make my two sons Giant fans. They'd live a much happier life.

Burnz and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Jan 12, 2069... Jets win Super Bowl played in their own stadium for the first time ever.

5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If the Vikings win the Super Bowl she will see a championship before she turns 100. Can't say the same for champ :mad:. Lol

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At least Champ and I did get to see one in our lifetimes..

nycarl, Burnz, hwismer and 3 others like this.
  7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I haven't watch this version. It's better than the 240p version I have.
    Still not as good as seeing it live on TV, though, which was awesome.

NYJetsO12 and hwismer like this.
  8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I remember it like it was . . .

. . . let's not kid around. It was almost half a century ago.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

At least we have 1 though. They can't take it away from us (though if the NFL could they would and award it to the Patriots just because)

Because of this Joe Namath is bulletproof for life. I don't care what he does, says, how much he drinks, who he kisses. If he drop kicks a newborn preemie on national TV I'd still write in Joe Namath for President the next election cycle.

It was the greatest upset in NFL history and one of the league's most important games. A situation like this can't even be replicated anymore. The Jets were literally not in the Colts league.

Baltimore wasn't just the NFL Champions they were being touted as one of the best teams in NFL history at that point. And Shula was their coach will Bill Arnsparger and Chuck Noll on that sideline. 9 times that year they held opponents to 250 or fewer yards of TOTAL offense.

Eight times they allowed single digits to their opponents. They had 4 shutouts

Basically this was Miracle on Ice level. Only imagine Mike Eruzione guaranteeing a win.

#9 forevercursed, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    nycarl and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Somewhere I remember seeing a poll taken in the run up to the game of NFL coaching staffs. Forget which paper ran it....think it was from the midwest (Cleveland Plain Dealer?) but basically they said what would you honestly think would happen if the Jets played Pittsburgh which was the worst team in the NFL? And something like 85% said the Steelers would win. Just goes to show how much respect we were getting

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Me too! Me too!

Cman68 likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

3 months after the Jets won the Super Bowl Tom Brady Sr. and Galynn Patricia Brady were married. 8 years later they had a son, Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr., who would go on to win 5 Super Bowls, while the Jets didn't win one during his parents entire marriage.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is an interesting program cover, since it turned out that Don Maynard (the Jet who was pictured) was mostly just a decoy that day, after being brilliant in the AFL Championship game but pulling his hamstring. He almost caught two TD passes (one was slightly overthrown, perhaps because of his injury, and one was caught 6 inches out of the end zone), but actually had no receptions. He was still crucially important to the game plan, however - he lined up way wide on every play, pulling double coverage (even occasionally triple coverage) out of the middle of the field, which opened it up for George Sauer to get 8 receptions for 133 yards and Matt Snell to rush 30 times for 121 yards and catch 4 passes for 40 yards. And in case you've forgotten (or don't know) the way it used to be, Joe Willie called every play of that brilliant game plan for the Jets himself.

nycarl, NYJetsO12, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  14. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

That's right - and the Jets are undefeated in Super Bowl appearances. The Pats have more Super Bowl losses thatn the Jets do!

(That's loser-talk. I know!)

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I got my copy of the program a few days after the game, from my father, who got it from someone he worked with. It was obviously beautifully painted ahead of time. Did you ever hear the story that half of the programs mistakenly had the Raiders players featured instead of the Jets?

As for play calling, you are so right. I watched a video of the entire game last night on You Tube. Every play defied the Colts strategy. Screen passes to beat the blitz ("Red Dog" as announcer Kyle Rote called it), Snell off-tackle away from Bubba Smith, pinpoint passes to George Sauer in the seam of the zone. All we needed was a smurf slot receiver and I could've been watching the current day Patriots. LOL! And, IIRC, the Jets effectively used Boozer as a slot receiver in the game against the Oilers earlier in the season.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well if the NYJs were a top 10 team rather then a top 5 bottom feeding team then the pessimism on this board will disappear faster then a rocket on it's way to deep space:mad:

17. championjets69

I have the tape which was made as the game was being played so it also has all the ads aired in that game so U have sought of a historical record as well. It is on VHS tape & if U wanted a copy it would be made also on VHS tape.. Yes it is quite viewable the sky is blue the Colts in there blue unis & the NYJs in there green & white. The audio is fine as well:)

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I would love a copy if possible. Is there a way for me to pass along me e-mail and we could talk. Thank you.

19. championjets69

Send me a PM to my user name & I will reply to U :mad:

20. championjets69

The key to that SB3 win was JWN super quick release which negated the PR of the Colts according to none other then Don Shula (HC)