Rich Cimini flip flopping regarding Alex Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 9, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m going to need to see the teams he was playing against and who was favored before calling him a choker. Skins have been terrible on Mnf for a long time before cousins came aboard.
    Stats without context

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Remember when Cousins was heavily criticized by the NFL Network post-game crew following the Redskins loss to the Cowboys on Thursday night?

3. FJF

Yup and all the reply’s to that video say the same thing I thought. Guy had no line,ton of drops no run game. Last reason they lost was cousins.
    I know we have been told qbs win games all by themselves but it’s simply not true. Washington has garbage around him and it was worse this year. 12 different o line man. Best weapon played 6 games, best wr was a bust and stil putting up pro bowl numbers .if mccown put up those numbers we would put him in the ring of honor

4. playtowinthegame

What's Kirk McCousins record as a starter?

5. FJF

i don't know what washington's record during cousins time there is.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

24-23-1 with Cousins starting over the last 3 years, 0-1 in the playoffs.

Redskins are 25-28-1 overall with Cousins starting for them. Their defense has been in the bottom third of the league during that period.

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Archie Manning was a career 35-103-3

Was Archie Manning a bad quarterback?

Cousins is a career 26-30-1. In that period of time he's thrown 99 td's, 55int's, with a 65.5% completion percentage

He's held up his end of the bargain. The defense has been either below average or outright bad. That's why the W/L record isn't better.

FJF likes this.
  8. FJF

no no no, its all his fault.

9. playtowinthegame

Cousins isn't a great leader, and he is a primetime choker. He'll help someone win their fantasy football league, but he won't lead a team to a championship.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hey, they signed Revis. Why not Wilkerson?

playtowinthegame likes this.
  11. forevercursed

He's vocal, fiery, a good leader and an all around smart player.

Not a choker. He's played in 1 career playoff game and played very well despite being sacked 6 times

This year he had no running game, no o-line. Under those circumstances he put up a very good year

Not everybody is the Brees, Peyton Manning, Brady, Rodgers generational talent, but you can absolutely win a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins

#51 forevercursed, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

SOME QBs can win almost by themselves - Brady is one for sure, but you don't need a QB like that (although it would be nice). But you DO need to give him some weapons. Sanchez was adequate when he had weapons, and I think Cousins would be much better than that. I still prefer going the draft route for Rosen or Mayfield, but if they get Cousins and could land Barkley they would have one of the best offenses in the league.

13. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the thing, IF we get cousins we really need to get Barkley. A defensive pick coupled with cousins would still be pretty depressing. Cousins will need a legitimate weapon that can help him right away, Barkley is that guy

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. forevercursed

Adequate yes, but the problem with Sanchez was that he just never advanced much in terms of his ability to read defenses. And the accuracy was always spotty. It was very disappointing that he never learned from his mistake.

With Cousins there is no simplification. He sees the field very well, he reads defenses, he hits guys in stride, he can gun it in or put touch on it. He's not going to get flustered. He's got great passion and work ethic. He wants to keep getting better

Get this guy

15. ColoradoContrails

Despite the positives, there are some risks. He's not that good that he can carry a team by himself - his time in DC proves that. So if Macc doesn't upgrade the "O" beyond him he might well struggle and become another O'Donnell. If that happens the Jets will still be on the hook for the ransom he costs them, and that would set them back much farther than even a few high draft picks used to trade up.

Like I said, I wouldn't cry if they get him, but it's not my first choice, and there ARE risks.

16. forevercursed

I'd be fine with Barkley. But you seemingly nowadays always fine really good value in the mid to late rounds with RB's

I don't want another defensive player either in round 1, but shit we do need a corner and we do need an edge rushed

17. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I 100 percent agree with you that you can find good running talent in latter rounds. It's more about what an elite running and elite receiving back Barkley is. He is perhaps the most incredible all around running back prospect I have ever seen. I honestly think he is already a top 3 running back in the NFL today and in a year or two will be the undisputed number 1.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. forevercursed

It's unrealistic to expect him to carry a team by himself. In the entire league 2 guys definitely can. Rodgers and Brady.

At times Roethlisberger has shown he can. At times Brees has too. Wentz is well on his way to being someone who can carry a team but his career is still too young

In Washington he's had some bad running attacks and bad defenses and did well under those circumstance. I wonder how Cousins will perform if he suddenly has a top 10 rushing attack. Or a top 15 or better defense. He's NEVER had that.

19. forevercursed

And there is no comparison between O'Donnell and Cousins. O'Donnell was a risk averse game manager with poor mobility. Cousins can actually make plays

20. ColoradoContrails

There are some very good RBs in this draft, but Barkley is on a level above that. If he stays healthy he has the ability to some day be in the HOF, and could single-handedly transform the offense immediately, so if they can couple him with an above average QB you immediately have a high powered attack. Maybe if you have an even better caliber QB you could be okay with one of the "lesser" RBs, but Barkley is the gold standard.