Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What if Cousins doesn’t cost $30 million? Is your argument against him based solely on a speculative number? Would you take him for $23 mil?

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Why not? You signed Cousins right? But there is also a QB you love in the draft. You don't think he will drop to you. But come draft day he is there. And remaining players aren't worth the 6th pick. Why not pull the trigger and grab the QB you love as an insurance. Rodgers dropped in 2005. Say Jets were sitting at 6 that year and knew that Rodgers would be a superstar. Would you rather Jets passed on him?

We are talking hypotheticals here. You sign Cousin first then worry about it later.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Brook,

If the Jets sign Cousins, there's no point in drafting a QB at #6. Cousins is gonna command a BIG $ contract, and probably at least 4-5 years. If the Jets sign him, he's gonna be the starter. IMO it would be totally wasting the #6 pick to draft a QB and then have him sit for 4-5 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I disagree. If the Jets sign Cousins, it will be for 4-5 years and big money. He will start. It would be wasting the #6 to draft a QB and have him sit on the bench for the next 4-5 years and never get to play. Also, what if the rookie, quickly shows that he's better than Cousins? Do you really think the Jets would start the rookie and have not play Cousins when they're paying him all that money? They'd be stuck. No other team would trade for Cousins.

Signing McCown makes sense. Then if they can't trade up or one they like doesn't fall to them in the 1st round, they have a starting QB that knows the offense and the players.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. You and FJF think the same. I trust your football acumen more than mine. You guys convinced me. :)

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

To be honest, we've NEVER experienced the problem you are describing. It doesn't worry me. The day we have two strong capable quarterbacks on the roster fighting for the starting job is the day I question whether I'm actually watching Jets football or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Walt White and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If the Jets signed Cousins and then drafted a QB at 6, Cousins is not going to want to be here anymore.

FJF likes this.
  8. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I'd like to see the Jets target a few areas. I'm interested in Justin Ellis of the raiders who reminds me of Snacks. This could free up the 2nd level of the defense and not have them engaging lineman. Kyle Fuller is an intriguing name as well to help shore up the secondary. Jensen or Paridis as a Center upgrade would have me excited as well.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about Le'Veon Bell? We know he isn't happy in Pittsburgh, and recently came out saying that he would rather retire or sit out the season than be franchise tagged again. I know he would be expensive, but he is a game changer and the Jets will have money to spend. The way I see it, if the Jets do indeed draft a QB this year, the best thing they can do aside from fortify the oline is to pair him up with with a high caliber running back. I do like Powell and McGuire, but they are not in the same stratosphere as Bell. If you add Cousins/Bell in the off season it will likely transform this team from bottom feeder to contender.

Positives:

- He's a game changer and is one of the best at turning nothing into something and busting big plays
    - He's versatile. He is a very good receiver and good blocker as well.
    - It will take the pressure off a rookie QB as well as give him a safety blanket for the check down
    - ranked 2nd in the league in all purpose yards out of all receivers and running backs.

Negatives:

- Will be pricey
    - His attitude is less than desirable (hold outs, contract demands, etc)
    - He's already had multiple suspensions. The next one will probably be a long one.

At first I really didn't want this guy because of his attitude problems over the past couple years and inability avoid suspensions, but I'm starting to come around thinking about how beneficial it will be if we have a new QB.

#329 Sam Hammer, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with what you say but a few things. 1. Age 26. Still young but getting up there for a rb. 2. Over 400 touches this year. Lots of wear and tear. 3. What happens once he gets the money? 4. The Jets oline will get him killed. 5. Why does he want to come here? Even if we think the Jets are that close they're still two years away from even getting to a SB (I know that is a lie but I want to believe) and who is the qb? I don't want to play with Hackenberg.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you want a stud RB, get Barkley - younger, cheaper, may well be better. Or Love from Cal, or several other RBs in this draft class. Bell has had too many issues and he'll cost a lot. Smacks of the old "quick fix" approach to me.

12. NCJetsfan

If the draft wasn't loaded with excellent RBs, I'd perhaps be interested in signing Bell. It IS loaded with excellent RBs, however, and due to his attitude, chances of his being suspended, and high cap cost, I have little or no interest.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

At this point, and for a Jets organization with an ultra conservative, insecure HC, we are better off with a proven QB and draft a RB at six if he is still available. I don't like it, but it's reality.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

There is one scenario where Bell makes a ton of sense:

If the Jets go all-out and trade a bunch of pick to move up and get Rosen or Darnold, then they will have a Rookie QB and very few picks to surround him with young talent. With the Jets young, talented receivers, I think the smartest place to spend the plentiful cap space in that scenario is to bring in Bell, and upgrade the C, RG, and possibly RT positions (The available FA LTs don't look promising).

Having an excellent rushing attack will really help the young QB get his feet under him.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the time frame doesn't work like that, they would have to sign bell and then go all in on moving up for rosen/darnold.

ftr, i would stay away from bell, 400 carries this year and still playing . history is not on his side for the next year. i think we can find our own playmaker in the draft. either barkley falling or michele with the 2a pick?

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

5'11 220 w/ great vision. 3 down back. 3rd round pick.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I am aware of the timeline.

My point is, that if the plan is to go all in and trade up, then Bell makes sense.

And if they trade their picks to move up, then they will be pretty limited in trying to draft a RB later, with all the other holes on the roster.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whatever the Jets decide to do they need to understand that Le'veon Bell is in his prime right now. He's 26 in February and he likely has 3 more years of prime play in him. He might get lucky and play really well until 31. He might get banged up as RB's often do and decline at 28. That's a coinflip, but it's extremely likely that his shelf life is limited to 2018 to 2020 or so.

You'd sign Le'veon Bell if you also signed Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith and you'd draft a QB at 6 behind Smith if that's the way you went.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

What makes anyone think Pitt would ever let go of an elite stud like Bell? The guy is one of the best players in the NFL and squarely in his prime. Stop with the nonsense because it isn't happening.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If you watch his running style and his other worldly balance, Bell is the type of special RB who can play at a high level well into his early 30's. He doesn't take a lot of direct hits. Also a very good receiving back. The kid has a lot of miles left on those legs. Pittsburgh isn't letting an All Pro in his prime walk nor via trade. Never happen. The only thing I could see happening is him holding out a year if they don't cave.