Mets 2017-18 offseason

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AJT73, Dec 20, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

So far we got a reliever. Misery loves company. Fun being a Met and Jet fan. I know there are players still to be had but does anyone really want to sign with this awful team. If the Mets called me I'd look at them and say why do i want to sign with you?

You have a great starting staff and decent bullpen.
    Two AAAA catchers.
    A AAAA first baseman.
    Who's at second? Right now no one.
    What's at third? A guy with a bad back and a middle infielder.
    Cespedes in the OF with a AAAA cf and another OF not ready for a month or two after the season starts. Fantastic let me sign with these scrubs.

Can the Wilpons sell. Bring in an owner that isn't using its profit to pay off debts. Why is MLB allowing this to happen?

FlaJet and Red Menace like this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Whenever I think how bad being a Jets fan is I think well at least I’m not a Mets fan too, then I cry a little inside cause I am a Mets fan too. FMSL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlaJet likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

At least they went to a World Series recently.

Jets are mired in quicksand.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

One of the worst farm system in the league and an unwillingness to spend money. :(

FlaJet likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Who's on first. What's on second. I don't know's on third.

FlaJet likes this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

LOL. I know the pain. The tougher part is as much as I don't like Woody I at least feel he is trying. As for the Wilpon's they have the pitching. How can you not put some offense and defense together. It's awful.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I saw Sherman's article today about how the Mets feel what the Yankees do doesn't have sustainability. What is Wilpon talking about. They've been relevant for the last 25 years and have the ability to win another World Series. The Mets are not sustainable with what they are doing. I have two young sons and look forward to going to baseball games when they are older. At this rate I'm going to take them to a Yankees game or Phillies game. Rather them see MLB baseball and fun games. I don't want to spend on the Mets until they spend on them or the Wilpon's sell. Talk to Marc Cuban I think he wants to buy a MLB team.

8. NYGalPal

As long as they keep him confined to just talent evaluation maybe this isn't necessarily bad? Though it feels a bit weird. Why extend Sandy contract if you didn't 100% have confidence in him? This move in my eyes shows a lack of confidence in him.
    Front Office Sandy Alderson, Omar Minaya, and Terry Collins. I look at those names and a bright neon sign with the word failure jumps out at me. Re-watching a movie we know is bad because it has a scene or two that is good.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. NYGalPal

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Hey Fred.... it takes money to make money dipshit..... unless you're counting on a ponzi scheme:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-furious-the-yankees-added-giancarlo-stanton/

but go ahead and raise ticket prices without reinvesting and wonder why the ballpark will be a ghosttown after opening week

Walt White likes this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Hi I'm Fred Wilpon. I own the NY Mets. I don't think we should pay for free agents to help this team but if you want a front office position come on it.

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Right Fred. Championships are a bad business model. That creep son is prolly worse too.

Bring in Tony Bernazard while you're at it and create some cliques, division, and backstabbing. They make me sick

#13 Walt White, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  14. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Life as a Jet/Met fan sucks..

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

sure does... All my swag looks like new because I never wear it.

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Bruce signed to a three year deal

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Okay, I guess. Best case scenario is that he really did change his approach last year based on analytics as has been stated (increasing his launch angle to hit fewer ground balls, playing deeper so balls don't go over his head), and he might reach an .820 OPS and be a decent outfielder. Worst case scenario is that 2017 was a mirage and he's really the player he was from 2014-2016 with the .735 OPS and -1.2 per season average defensive WAR. I think this is actually more about having someone to play first base if Smith turns out to be a bust than anything else.

At least the Wilpons opened the wallet for $39 million.

18. Walt White

It beefs up the roster, power, and 1st base is prolly a part of it. Ces, Conforto, Bruce, Lagares, and Nimmo in the OF is pretty good. Bruce is a good teammate, character, leader type guy too.
    We'll see about the health of everybody in the end... If Syndergaard and deGrom don't make it through the season chances dive. Wheeler would be gravy. If by some miracle they do the season should be fun.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It's a good first step. Still need a few more moves. I don't know if it could happen but would love for them to trade Lagares, Darnold, Matz and Smith for McCuthen and Harrison and sign Lucroy. That might be a pipe dream but they need a few more lineup moves before I am fully on board. They got me a quarter of the way there.

20. Walt White

I'm not holding my breath. I sure would love Harrison tho.