Jets sign running back Jeremy Langford to reserve/future deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 11, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The Jets signed running back Jeremy Langford to a reserve/future contract on Wednesday, Calvin Watkins of Newsday reports.

Langford spent the 2017 season with the Jets practice squad. He last played in a regular season game in 2016 for the Bears.

Langford was a 2015 fourth-round pick by the Bears out of Michigan State. He has 210 carries for 737 yards and 10 touchdowns in 28 career games

Honestly didn't realize he was on our practice squad. he was pretty good for the bears in 2016. should take forte's roster spot is we don't draft a RB but hopefully play 3rd string behind powell and maguire

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Championship!!!

Cman68, NYJFOREVER, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets RB is another position that will be interesting and filled with change in 2018. Forte is definitely gone. Powell has to be near 30 years old, McGuire is the only guy we know will be on the roster. Maybe Langford too now. Maybe the Jets can draft a running back in Round 2 or 3. They have so many needs on defense, but I would not mind a mostly offensive draft. Get your QB, RB and O-line of the future.

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

RBs are easy to find and not a huge need. i'm more then ok with the powell/maguire combo for 2018 and even 2019 if need be. plus RB is a position where rookies can come in and play right away. I'd worry more about the o-line, QB, and the defensive holes for this offseason. RB is the least of our worries

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Safety is the least of the Jets worries! Haha. I'm with you, but it would be nice for the Jets to get a game changing skill player. I thought I read it was a strong QB and RB draft. Not sure though.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

yeah it is a strong draft for both positions. there are supposedly like 5-6 starting QBs in the draft and probably close to 10 RBs of high caliber. but that means other teams can have them for value and we can grab the o-line help we need and maybe a WR too.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Seems like he really fell off since his rookie year and has been on the fringes of the league since. Nothing to get excited about.

As for Jets RBs, I like Powell and McGuire, but would like the Jets to take advantage of this loaded RB class. Plus, Powell is still good and probably can be better being more featured in the offense, but will turn 30 this season. The Jets would benefit from a rookie RB for this group

8. GasedAndConfused

I'd wait until next year to be honest. I don't see any issues with powell/maguire for 2018 and even 2019. at that point powell will likely be done. RBs transition to the NFL really well. look at this year. a rookie won the rushing title. zeke did it 2 years ago as well. gurley was close his rookie year. not to mention bell, fournette, both had great rookie season. cook was looking awesome until the injury. I'd rather work on the o-line. it's not a "sexy" pick but a better o-line will help our run game more then a new RB at this point. powell and maguire have both proven to do well with a little bit of space opened up.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Working on the OL is definitely important, but more depth is needed at RB. If not a rookie, who is the third back in 2018?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

The title of this thread says it all lol. we could also look at an UDFA RB as well or take one really late like 6-7 round. I wouldn't use a high pick on a RB personally. not with all the needs we have. however if we did get cousins i'd be more then happy to take barkely at 6 if he's still there somehow.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets have to take a RB in the first 3 rounds. This draft has too much talent at the position not to.

Powell is decent but has never been extremely durable, McGuire is loved on here but I can’t figure out why. Plus the rookie RB can help ease the transition for the rookie QB.

It would be another major black eye for Mac to not recognize this loaded RB class and take advantage of it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I actually like Langford.

He had a pretty good rookie campaign for the Bears in 2015, was injured for most of 2016 and last year bounced around the Ravens depth chart/practice squad, but never saw the field, which surprised me. Not that he didn't play for the Ravens, especially due to the emergence of Alex Collins, but that another team didn't sign him from their Practice Squad. Seems like teams completely forgot about him. Now, saying all of that, he's no workhorse back or future HOF'er, but he could carve out a role on the 2018 roster, depending on what else happens throughout the next 7 months.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Macc lands a QB in FA, he will grab Saquon Barkley RB from Penn St at #6. Biggest offensive difference maker he could draft outside of the top 3 QBs. He may trade back up into the 1st round to grab a OLB (Landry?) or the best Tackle (Orlando Brown?). Depends on what's left towards the end of round 1.

As far as Barkley RB, look what a difference a top RB has had for the Rams/Cowboys. This isn't lost on Macc. He knows clock is ticking and he HAS to draft difference makers. He has no leash left to draft developmental players, regardless of their 'upside'.