Rich Cimini flip flopping regarding Alex Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 9, 2018.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I like Alex Smith (I don't love him), but I just don't think he's a great fit for us. He's a good (not great, and some would say, fundamentally flawed) QB who would be best served going to more of a veteran, "win now" team. We are so young and still have so many holes to fill. Tbh, I think Smith makes much more sense in a place like Denver, even though the Chiefs are never going to trade him to a division rival. Or Jacksonville, of course.

Of course, there are those who say that all teams in the NFL should be viewed as "win now" teams, given how quickly teams turn their fortunes around in today's league.

Personally, I'm really big on the idea of the Jets avoiding the attractive 'quick fix' for once and trying to build a young, competitive team that is capable of sustaining success for a relatively long period of time. Sure, it's harder to do because you actually have to draft the right players and develop them the right way, but the payoff is bigger - i.e. You actually have a chance to become a perennial contender, instead of oscillating between 4-12 and 10-6/11-5 until the end of time.

In essence, I don't want a 34 year old QB. I want a 21-22 year old QB.

#21 slimjasi, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. slimjasi

So, the really odd rumor that I have heard in several places is that the Browns are interested in Smith . . . I just don't get that . . . at all.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The most I would offer for Smith is Hackenberg and Darren Lee but no draft picks. Lee is overmatched at ILB and another MM reach.

4. slimjasi

Bingo. Couldn't agree more.

This is a fascinating off-season for us. Jet fans seem to be (more or less) equally divided between nabbing a veteran QB and committing to drafting and developing the best QB prospect we can possibly get our hands on. Usually, the short-term allure of a proven veteran wins out, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we are going to go the other way this time around. I haven't been this excited for a Jets draft in quite a long time.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Have you tried factoring that they are indeed the browns? That usually makes what seems illogical suddenly seem completely understandable

101GangGreen101 and slimjasi like this.
  6. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Alex Smith would be OK an option to play the Josh McCown role for a young QB as long as it only costs cap space. No chance I am trading a a premium draft pick for Alex Smith,

tomdeb likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Going after Alex Smith would be 2 steps back

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t understand the argument for Smith at all. That KC team has some serious talent on it yet can’t win with Smith at QB but Jets fans think he could win with the Jets that doesn’t have nearly the talent of the Chiefs?

ColoradoContrails, FJF and Walt White like this.
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to Alex Smith but absolutely forget trading a 2nd round pick or better and I would also need to make sure he's here for the long haul. Not one year. Maybe the "long haul" at his age is only 2 or 3 years but I want it all.

Otherwise your just screwing around, wasting time, and you might as well attempt to try your hand at developing a young rookie QB under the watchful eye of the geezer.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He had a career year in 2017. Chances are good it'll be downhill for him from this point on.

It'd be a high risk-low reward move for the Jets.

Pass.

PLEASE.

Take a chance on a trade for Andrew Luck he's worth the risk. The media will say what they'll say eff 'em they don't know **** anyway.

Walt White likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If we gave Alex Smith a 5+ year deal, I would shoot myself. Alex Smith isn't going to play another 6 years. He will start declining, probably sooner than later. He's not an elite QB. QBs like Brady and Manning are exceptions to the rule. QBs don't usually go to 40. Chances are, he can only go down from where he is now.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Athletes's bodies start breaking down after 30, and so can their level of play overnight. This is true even for QBs who can take a lot of big hits. There's no way the Jets should even think about trading for Smith and planning on having him start for the next 6 years. That would be a disaster!

ColoradoContrails and NY Jets68 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on!

14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins is 0-6 on MNF, 1-4 on Thursday Night Football. He's a primetime choker. Some team will overpay for him though. I'm hopeful it's not the Jets. The Jets breaking the bank for a 30 year old Kirk Cousins would be just like getting a 30 year old Neil O'Donnell. A same old Jets type move. Don't let history repeat itself. I'd rather trade a draft pick for Smith, or maybe sign Teddy Bridgewater. Just say no to Cousins.

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

So trading at least a 2nd rounder for a QB that may not stay with the Jets after 1 season? Mac should be fired for that move alone.
    And besides , the Jets already felt that McCown would be great for their young QB's and look where it got them?

Would rather see them go for Teddy Bridgewater - he has more upside and is a lot younger.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets want Smith for 2018 they should just offer to take his contract off of KC's hands. No draft pick compensation beyond maybe a face-saving 7th for Reid and company.

Then we could make a logical decision on where to go by the end of the season and not be out much if the answer was to let Smith go.

They'd save KC $17M on the cap next year by taking the contract on. The Chiefs don't have a lot of cap space for 2018 and the Jets do. It's a simple value deal for both sides.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

I can't see the Jets trading one of their second round picks in this year's draft for Smith without an extension being agreed to. Maybe a two year extension. The cold hard truth is, Alex Smith is the best quarterback the Jets could get this off-season before the draft. They're not getting Kirk Cousins. I'd rather have Smith instead of Bridgewater, but the Jets might not be able to trade for him. The Browns may offer a better package. Again, Cousins isn't coming here. Who else is left before the draft? Who's the veteran quarterback Mac should hedge his bets on before the draft? McCown again? Don't make me puke.

18. playtowinthegame

Muhammad Wilkerson
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/muhammad-wilkerson-7745/
    2018 Base Salary: 16,250,000
    2018 Workout Bonus: 250,000
    2018 Yearly Cash: 16,500,000

Alex Smith
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/alex-smith-3337/
    2018 Base Salary: 14,500,000
    2018 Roster Bonus: 2,000,000
    2018 Workout Bonus: 500,000
    2018 Yearly Cash: 17,000,000

If Jets swap with Chiefs they pay out $500,000 more in yearly cash for Alex Smith. Maybe someone in KC is dumb enough to take Wilkerson for Alex Smith.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Chiefs have $7M in cap space for 2018 headed into free agency. They really want more than that and getting Smith off the cap early in the process is something they are going to be trying very hard to get accomplished.

20. playtowinthegame

Their defense needs that beast Mo Wilk.